• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

don’t mess with the Preston, ID Police Department

oldbanger

Preston, Idaho, a tiny town of just more than 5,000 souls now has a 10-feet tall and in excess of 14 tons MRAP, cost to us taxpayers, $500,000.:mad:

Police Chief Ken Geddes, said that he plans to use his department’s MRAP to quell any gun violence in his town. At least three other Idaho LE departments, Boise, Post Falls and Nampa, received the surplus MRAPs.

DrakeZ07

sorry i am bad at acronyms. what is a "MRAP"? what does it have to do with your title?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRAP

Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP; /ˈɛmræp/ em-rap) vehicles are armored fighting vehicles used by various armed forces, whose designed purpose is surviving improvised explosive device (IED) attacks and ambushes. The first development in armored vehicles designed specifically to counter the land mine threat were initiated during the Rhodesian Bush War; existing technology was subsequently inherited (and matured) by the South African Defence Force after 1980

onus

A school board in New Hampshire is in the process of buying one.

FreeInAZ

Well whoever they are so afraid of (???) might be able to defeat it with 100 bars of soap & 50 gallons of gasoline. Cost approx. $500 vs. Their(our)$500,000. Seriously how much gun violence can a town of 5,000 have? :confused:

Freedom1Man

Well whoever they are so afraid of (???) might be able to defeat it with 100 bars of soap & 50 gallons of gasoline. Cost approx. $500 vs. Their(our)$500,000. Seriously how much gun violence can a town of 5,000 have? :confused:

Dig, high-center pits.

Then cook them while they are trapped. That is one way to deal with tracked and armored vehicles.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
How come the Preston, ID police and citizens are paying $500,000 for an MRAP when everybody else is getting them at no charge from DoD surplus?

Sounds like you folks got doubly screwed.

BTW - is there really that much "gun violence" in Preston, or was the Chief's tongue firmly in his cheek when he said that?

stay safe.

eye95

How come the Preston, ID police and citizens are paying $500,000 for an MRAP when everybody else is getting them at no charge from DoD surplus?

Sounds like you folks got doubly screwed.

BTW - is there really that much "gun violence" in Preston, or was the Chief's tongue firmly in his cheek when he said that?

stay safe.

When I read his post, I wondered who "us taxpayers" were. Surely, they did not purchase something with local taxpayer money that would cost $100 per man, woman, and child. I suspect it was surplus. The town saw the program, saw the opportunity to acquire one at very little cost, and took advantage. Frankly, I prefer that this thing be in the hands of a small town, where it likely will go unused, than in the hands of a larger PD that might actually use this thing against the citizenry.

This may be an actual instance of a town owning a non-bearable arm for use by the militia. That would be a good thing.

oldbanger

stealthyeliminator

There is only one reasonable conclusion - the streets of Preston are laden with mines. I would advise everyone to steer clear. :eek:

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

HPmatt

I meant us the US taxpayers paid $500,000....the Defense Dept are giving them away free.

I want to get the parts supply concession for replacement parts for MRAPs. Should be a nice business marking up the hell out of parts to sell to idiot politicians who are diverting their main job to these silly pursuits. Would think if I wanted to run for Sheriff or Mayor this would be a good cause to exploit. Sheriff such-and-so is out to take your guns away - just like the ATF did to David Koresh....

DocWalker

Not much in Idaho, I would put the number of armed citizens above 80% the other 20% are those from California that moved here and are trying to infect our state with the blue way of thinking. They even advertize with "obama" and "blue girl in red state" stickers on their cars, if they don't have stickers you can tell as they are the ones that don't know how to drive in the snow.

OC for ME

Not much in Idaho, I would put the number of armed citizens above 80% the other 20% are those from California that moved here and are trying to infect our state with the blue way of thinking. They even advertize with "obama" and "blue girl in red state" stickers on their cars, if they don't have stickers you can tell as they are the ones that don't know how to drive in the snow.
"...they are the ones that don't know how to drive [a Prius] in the snow."