Thread: Careful what you tweet: Police, schools track behavior with Bluejay by BrightPlanet

Careful what you tweet: Police, schools track behavior with Bluejay by BrightPlanet

"A teenager who claimed "sarcasm" after talking on Facebook about shooting up a kindergarten spent months in jail this year for making a "terroristic threat." Over the summer, Instagram photos of guns and money led to New York City’s largest gun bust ever. A mom's Facebook photo of her baby with a bong led to her 2010 arrest. While criminals — or those guilty of ill-placed sarcasm — aren’t wising up about social media oversharing, tools for monitoring Americans online are increasingly accessible and affordable to authorities, no NSA-level clearance required. Those in charge are monitoring more and more and social networks are happy to comply, especially where extra revenue is involved."

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ca...ack-4B11215908

Sarcastic irony - There is no clumsy sarcasm here! Nor at BrightPlanet featuring "Deep web intelligence."

http://www.brightplanet.com/bluejay/ http://www.brightplanet.com/wp-conte...sign_FINAL.pdf
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    the only way one gets convicted of this stuff is to actually admit you posted ... keep your mouth shut ... they cannot really prove anything IMO

FacePage? MyBook? Twimmer? Think I've heard of them, but see no reason to use any of them. The OP adds an additional reason.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Careful what you tweet: Police, schools track behavior with Bluejay by Bright...

Anyone can make a fake account an post pics and say your someone else.. They should be more focused on cyber scams and credit card theft. Just cause some kid said something outta anger or sarcasm? Where did the right to free speech go? If its empty words with no actual plans made then what proof?

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Quote Originally Posted by Mattimusmaximus View Post
    Anyone can make a fake account an post pics and say your someone else.. They should be more focused on cyber scams and credit card theft. Just cause some kid said something outta anger or sarcasm? Where did the right to free speech go? If its empty words with no actual plans made then what proof? -Matt of Hillsboro OR-
    I wonder, then, if it is so easy to anonymize, why is NSA so interested in trying to crack The Onion Router Network. Matt, your IP address gives you away.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    FacePage? MyBook? Twimmer? Think I've heard of them, but see no reason to use any of them. The OP adds an additional reason.

stay safe.
    The things you say here count just as much. I think we'd all be surprised what tools are available to link accounts from various sites together and collect information from various sources on an individual and to piece together a profile on someone. Enough non-identifiable information, together, could pinpoint you easier than you think. That you're hiding behind an internet handle and that the administrators of this board wouldn't hand over your IP address or other information (they probably would) doesn't mean anything for your anonymity.

Careful what you tweet: Police, schools track behavior with Bluejay by Bright...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I wonder, then, if it is so easy to anonymize, why is NSA so interested in trying to crack The Onion Router Network. Matt, your IP address gives you away.
    Public computers? Friends use program to rid of it or how about a hacked phone?

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Quote Originally Posted by Mattimusmaximus View Post
    Public computers? Friends use program to rid of it or how about a hacked phone? -Matt of Hillsboro OR-
    Poor deluded NSA spending all those billion$ and defeated by Mattimusmaximus of Hillsboro, Ore. And Edward Snowden telling us all what fools they are.

Thanks, Matt, if it was so easy then everyone might do it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    the only way one gets convicted of this stuff is to actually admit you posted ... keep your mouth shut ... they cannot really prove anything IMO
    There is ALOT of data on pictures and videos that can pinpoint the user and poster and so forth.

Pictures taken with smart phones and tablets and other video and still cameras and imbedded data.

Many people have no clue just how much information is stored in pictures.

Did you now your credit card information is easily obtained from a picture you post online ? That's just the start of it
    Last edited by onus; 10-07-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Makes me think of when they used a picture posted online to track that hacker (if you will allow the term to be used liberally) when anonymous was on the news. Don't remember who the guy was associated with, but I'm pretty sure that picture ended up being the feds big ticket tto both identifying and locating him.

I'd like a cite on this cc info from photo business though
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 10-07-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post

I'd like a cite on this cc info from photo business though
    in the last 5 years or so every digital camera, cell phone and tablet embeds the serial number of the camera within its meta data. that info can simply be traced to the store hat sold it but with all the other data the feds have they can track cameras and phones in so many ways to come back to the owner or purchaser.

also remember that everytime you upload a picture or video into any software like photoshop the software embeds additional data.

the feds and software companies are pretty mum on all of it but use your imagination.

somewhat related is the case of a man in Europe who was taking pictures of himself screwing underage girls. he used a photoshop software program to blue his face in the photos but the authorities were able to unblur it using various techiniques. if you know about software and pictures you can read between the lines and figure out some capabilities that people have.

Ah ok. Yes, you are right about that.

As many have mentioned, the data stored on most photos automatically is kinda messed up. Thanks to consumers needing to tag everything and it's mother and let everyone know what they are doing all the time basically every phone with GPS puts geotag info on every pic you take and upload accurate within feet. Yes I said feet. Not yards or just an address. To feet.

Is it possible to route your internet traffic through other servers? Sure. But that only stops people like the cable company. Feds get warrants. You have to use offshore servers to route sensitive info. But then there is a security problem. If you forget to undo your proxy and pay a bill they now have your logins cached.

Your best bet is to not say dumb **** on the internet as hard as that is for some. Especially teenagers.

So I had a conversation with a "tech" guy who worked for the Hillsboro police in terms of when your bein harassed over the phone or interwebs and he explained how everything has a fingerprint.. Even disposable phones.. I couldn't believe it! EXAMPLE 1. You buy an iPod put some music on it from iTunes you download a free app to txt someone oops sent a naked photo using that app with random number.. Delete app. iTunes has a history of that app downloaded and your iPod has a serial number.. Tracked to the store purchased from to a time and date of purchase and track it from there.. Doesn't belong to you? The iPod itself keeps record of what you download.. An Internet searches etc etc.. Yea so I retract my previous statement

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    [...]

Your best bet is to not say dumb **** on the internet as hard as that is for some. Especially teenagers.
    lol, I guess it doesn't get much more simple than this. I can attest to the fact that it's hard (for some).

Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 10-10-2013 at 12:49 AM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

There are ways around this. Old saying goes, If it's man made...It can be made man broken.