• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home carry and do you ever not carry?

Mattimusmaximus

My wife doesn't like to carry but she has her bedside plinker (.22 sig mosquito) and we have a single shot 12g in the corner and just for the hell of it machetes under each side of the bed and an axe in the kitchen we OC all sorts of self defense ness

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

rs3604

Handy, Touche, My point was while of course it is not sound to reveal all but if they want to know when i go to the bathroom i am sure they can find out.

Freeinaz, as funny as that was,i actually knew a guy who would put parts of his ak in the dishwasher to clean them,he would say he didn't need a cleaning kit in the field he could just p**s in it to keep it running (i am sure he heard it some where else) but he stuck to it.

WalkingWolf

Mild ammonia breaks up fowling in black powder guns, it probably does the same for cartridge guns. But over time it will patina the finish.

Mattimusmaximus

Hey bob why does this gun smell of P? Well Jo it's this new gun cleaner I'm using. Oh what's that? It's called 3 glasses of water and wait 30 min.

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Rusty Young Man

FreeInAZ said:
I shower with mine. Gotta keep'm clean you know...

That was pretty funny. You're scrubbing your gun, may as well multi-task and scrub your pistol while you're at it? :shocker::lol:

Handy, Touche, My point was while of course it is not sound to reveal all but if they want to know when i go to the bathroom i am sure they can find out.

Freeinaz, as funny as that was,i actually knew a guy who would put parts of his ak in the dishwasher to clean them,he would say he didn't need a cleaning kit in the field he could just p**s in it to keep it running (i am sure he heard it some where else) but he stuck to it.

While I commend the man for his...resourcefulness, I prefer to use Windex (or any other ammonia-containing cleaner) after using corrosive mil-surp ammo, but to each their own.

Rusty Young Man

My wife doesn't like to carry but she has her bedside plinker (.22 sig mosquito) and we have a single shot 12g in the corner and just for the hell of it machetes under each side of the bed and an axe in the kitchen we OC all sorts of self defense ness

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Surely you must be joking?:)
Don't forget about those extremely sharp kitchen knives (perfectly weighted for throwing sometimes), that rusty hacksaw you accidentally keep forgetting under the bathroom sink, the various scissors in every room, and the strategically-placed glass vase...
There's a little bit of McGyver operator in all of us...:D

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Why is the shotgun the "preferred weapon for home defense"? Don't mean for this to turn into a "over-penetration", "capacity-deficiency", "more lead downrange" argument, but I do have to ask "Why wouldn't a carbine be preferred?".

I'm a big fan of the rifle/carbine, actually, and one of these is also very easily accessible from my room or truck at all times. But I default to the shotgun for typical reference because home defense ranges and threats are often well suited to the dissipated power and spread of shotgun loads. A carbine has a serious advantage, however, if a very well-placed shot becomes necessary.

I'll happily accept ANY long gun over a sidearm in most situations.

boomer92266

I have to admit there are times I don't carry at home, when i'm in the shower the gun is on the towel cabinet. I also keep a 12 gauge single barrel inside the cabinet. other than that I am armed with my 40cal cougar, I live in the country so wildlife is a threat as well as 2 legged vermin.

rs3604

Glad to see so many responses, I am still getting used to carrying. I just got my pistol and been OCing for less than a week, it's weird I feel like everyone is watching and I know it is just me,just takes some getting used to.

WalkingWolf

Glad to see so many responses, I am still getting used to carrying. I just got my pistol and been OCing for less than a week, it's weird I feel like everyone is watching and I know it is just me,just takes some getting used to.

Big difference from here in NC, nobody seems to notice or care here. But then it has been that way a long time.

rs3604

Walking wolf, yeah I don't really think to many here really notice or mind it's just me.

caoxinfinity

Unfortunately I cannot carry while at work. The people with whom i most often work have an automatic distain for police, and associate anyone carrying a gun with the police. Wouldn't be able to do my job if I were carrying.

I always carry when not at work. Even at home, I always carry.

Mattimusmaximus

At home, is it better to OC or CC .... ;);););)

Don't start ......

Yes, carry at home is a good idea.

If Im at home.. Eh it depends ill usually get up stick in the back of my pants (cc) make coffee brush teeth yada yada until I get ready for the day.. Then it's OC

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

DrakeZ07

If Im at home.. Eh it depends ill usually get up stick in the back of my pants (cc) make coffee brush teeth yada yada until I get ready for the day.. Then it's OC

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

If you put the pistol in the back of your pants, that is usually called 'Mexican carry', and as long as your shirt, or jacket does not cover the firearm, then even 'mexican carry' is still Open Carry. See Holland v. Commonwealth [294 SW 2D 83; 1956 Ky CoA].

At home, is it better to OC or CC .... ;);););)

Don't start ......

Yes, carry at home is a good idea.

Doesn't matter, as long as you're not a felon, or mentally deficient, then either mode of carry on or about your person while in your home/place of residence, or in your yard, or any real property that you own, lease, rent, or have permission to be on, is fine and protected by law. See KRS 527.020(9) [ http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=40540 ]

Last edited:

mem1977

I carry all the time. The only time I don't carry is when I have to go to the doctor. My body is a wreck. Most every visit I have to get undressed to be examined from head to toe or have physical therapy done on my back and legs. Other than that, I don't carrying into schools, or courtrooms or the usual KRS no no's.

:uhoh: