Thread: possible solution to police misconduct

possible solution to police misconduct

Its not fair that tax payers have to foot the bill for police officers misconduct.

Its true that the police rarely ever police themselves.

Here is a possible solution to help......

All police officers must have an insurance policy that covers lawsuit attorney fees and settlements. Insurance companies are entitled to look at an officers personnel file to determine rates and premiums.

However, the policy is basically an exchange between all officers in a department and also in the county or state. That way, when Officer A sees Officer B engaging in some type of misconduct, officer A has an incentive to prevent or stop the misconduct because officer A will have to pay higher premiums if there is any lawsuit or settlement.

Good luck with that. I'm sure cop unions will be all over that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Good luck with that. I'm sure cop unions will be all over that as well.
    well that brings up my second idea....ban all public employee unions.

As a matter of fact, a fair number of cops and other public employees do carry tort insurance.* As a rider on either their homeowners or auto insurance it is dirt cheap.

Your complaint, as I think I'm understanding you, is that cops are so often covered by either soverign or limited immunity. There are ways to get around a limited immunity defense, but the success rate is very low - mostly due to bad recordkeeping by the police department.

stay safe.

* - when employed by Social Services, Public Schools, and the Dept. of Corrections I carried at $10Million umbrella policy. $25/mo, then $10/mo, then $50/mo based on risk factors. Came close to needing the insurance once - but the inmate blew his case against me at almost the last minute. It only took 7 months to get reimbursed by the state for attorney fees and costs.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Look, no insurance company is going to pay out for an intentional act.

Insurance requirement? I would not support this as this would be PAID BY US through their paychecks being increased to cover this cost.

Have a few cops losing their homes and living out on the street or in prison would do wonders more.

Most police depts carry insurance, but the premiums still come out of the taxpayers pocket. The solution is putting criminals who commit criminal acts in jail, but then what would CAP do for a living...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The solution is putting criminals who commit criminal acts in jail.
    the police wont investigate or arrest their own and prosecutors wont charge, indict or prosecute their own either.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    the police wont investigate or arrest their own and prosecutors wont charge, indict or prosecute their own either.
    That's a little broad, I think.

From what I can tell, prosecutors will only go after cops if there is irrefutable evidence made public that then causes a public stink. If it can be buried or ignored, it seems too often that it will be. But, if it can't be buried or ignored and has public demand, then sometimes it does go to a grand jury. Separately, if there is a huge public fuss, even if the cop isn't particularly wrong, a prosecutor might go after him for political points or to save the mayor's bacon, etc.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

A ex-cop in a small town in VA came to mind when I read the above.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    That's a little broad, I think.

From what I can tell, prosecutors will only go after cops if there is irrefutable evidence made public that then causes a public stink. If it can be buried or ignored, it seems too often that it will be. But, if it can't be buried or ignored and has public demand, then sometimes it does go to a grand jury. Separately, if there is a huge public fuss, even if the cop isn't particularly wrong, a prosecutor might go after him for political points or to save the mayor's bacon, etc.
    Even when the murderer Ian Birk was caught on camera the prosecutor only made a show with an inquest jury and then twisted the law as a reason not to prosecute. Washington is 2nd in the nation for not prosecuting cops.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Huh???

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Even when the murderer Ian Birk was caught on camera the prosecutor only made a show with an inquest jury and then twisted the law as a reason not to prosecute. Washington is 2nd in the nation for not prosecuting cops.
    Do you mean that upstanding young professional,?
    just wanting to serve and protect,?
    just trying to make sure that he got to go home at the end of his shift,?
    Do you mean the cop that jumped out of his car,?
    ran up to a peaceful Indian Wood carver, just walking down the street, minding his own business,?
    And shot him many times, in the Back and sides!!! Until he was dead????
    Do you mean that guy?????

Come on!!! He was acting in accordance with Seattle Standard Operating Policy!

Please remember,,, On this forum,, NO COP BASHING!!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    ran up to a peaceful Indian Wood carver, just walking down the street, minding his own business,?

Yep that guy, we will never forget.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post

Being somewhat new to this site, I didn't know the Birk story, I just watched the shooting on youtube and I don't know what to say.

Something is really wrong and this is just one case of many.
    Last edited by ron73440; 10-08-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

MOLON LABE