• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

possible solution to police misconduct

onus

Its not fair that tax payers have to foot the bill for police officers misconduct.

Its true that the police rarely ever police themselves.

Here is a possible solution to help......

All police officers must have an insurance policy that covers lawsuit attorney fees and settlements. Insurance companies are entitled to look at an officers personnel file to determine rates and premiums.

However, the policy is basically an exchange between all officers in a department and also in the county or state. That way, when Officer A sees Officer B engaging in some type of misconduct, officer A has an incentive to prevent or stop the misconduct because officer A will have to pay higher premiums if there is any lawsuit or settlement.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
As a matter of fact, a fair number of cops and other public employees do carry tort insurance.* As a rider on either their homeowners or auto insurance it is dirt cheap.

Your complaint, as I think I'm understanding you, is that cops are so often covered by either soverign or limited immunity. There are ways to get around a limited immunity defense, but the success rate is very low - mostly due to bad recordkeeping by the police department.

stay safe.

* - when employed by Social Services, Public Schools, and the Dept. of Corrections I carried at $10Million umbrella policy. $25/mo, then $10/mo, then $50/mo based on risk factors. Came close to needing the insurance once - but the inmate blew his case against me at almost the last minute. It only took 7 months to get reimbursed by the state for attorney fees and costs.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Look, no insurance company is going to pay out for an intentional act.

Insurance requirement? I would not support this as this would be PAID BY US through their paychecks being increased to cover this cost.

Have a few cops losing their homes and living out on the street or in prison would do wonders more.

WalkingWolf

Most police depts carry insurance, but the premiums still come out of the taxpayers pocket. The solution is putting criminals who commit criminal acts in jail, but then what would CAP do for a living...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
the police wont investigate or arrest their own and prosecutors wont charge, indict or prosecute their own either.

That's a little broad, I think.

From what I can tell, prosecutors will only go after cops if there is irrefutable evidence made public that then causes a public stink. If it can be buried or ignored, it seems too often that it will be. But, if it can't be buried or ignored and has public demand, then sometimes it does go to a grand jury. Separately, if there is a huge public fuss, even if the cop isn't particularly wrong, a prosecutor might go after him for political points or to save the mayor's bacon, etc.

sudden valley gunner

That's a little broad, I think.

From what I can tell, prosecutors will only go after cops if there is irrefutable evidence made public that then causes a public stink. If it can be buried or ignored, it seems too often that it will be. But, if it can't be buried or ignored and has public demand, then sometimes it does go to a grand jury. Separately, if there is a huge public fuss, even if the cop isn't particularly wrong, a prosecutor might go after him for political points or to save the mayor's bacon, etc.

Even when the murderer Ian Birk was caught on camera the prosecutor only made a show with an inquest jury and then twisted the law as a reason not to prosecute. Washington is 2nd in the nation for not prosecuting cops.

1245A Defender

Huh???

Even when the murderer Ian Birk was caught on camera the prosecutor only made a show with an inquest jury and then twisted the law as a reason not to prosecute. Washington is 2nd in the nation for not prosecuting cops.

Do you mean that upstanding young professional,?
just wanting to serve and protect,?
just trying to make sure that he got to go home at the end of his shift,?
Do you mean the cop that jumped out of his car,?
ran up to a peaceful Indian Wood carver, just walking down the street, minding his own business,?
And shot him many times, in the Back and sides!!! Until he was dead????
Do you mean that guy?????

Come on!!! He was acting in accordance with Seattle Standard Operating Policy!

Please remember,,, On this forum,, NO COP BASHING!!!!

sudden valley gunner

ran up to a peaceful Indian Wood carver, just walking down the street, minding his own business,?

Yep that guy, we will never forget.

ron73440

Being somewhat new to this site, I didn't know the Birk story, I just watched the shooting on youtube and I don't know what to say.

Something is really wrong and this is just one case of many.

Last edited: