• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

20 years old, without a PPP, and not wanting to go to jail

SGT Sword

Hi all,
I recently received a firearm from my brother-in-law,
I do not have a PPP, so I guess this will be a "Loan" (I won't say if this was purchased with my money for me or if it was a "gift")
Regardless, I am since more educated on the laws,
I turn 21 next month, however for this month I'd like to Open Carry,
However if stopped, I don't want them to see that the serial number is in his name, and I don't have a Pistol Purchase Permit,

Anybody have any insight?

Thanks! :)

-Taylor Sword.

papa bear

how would they know you didn't have a PPP. there is no record of it and you could have had this firearm since you were born. grandpa gave it to you. believe me after living here 50+ years no one has ever asked to see one

WalkingWolf

Handguns are not registered in NC, except for Durham. But you can always have your BIL write you a note that the firearm is a loaner.

I carried a cap and ball until I turned 21, and when in the mood I still do. No PPP needed, can be purchased mail order, even at 18.

What about next month?

More like six months, the wait here is long from what I hear.

Last edited:

Wulf.45

Hi all,
I recently received a firearm from my brother-in-law,
I do not have a PPP, so I guess this will be a "Loan" (I won't say if this was purchased with my money for me or if it was a "gift")
Regardless, I am since more educated on the laws,
I turn 21 next month, however for this month I'd like to Open Carry,
However if stopped, I don't want them to see that the serial number is in his name, and I don't have a Pistol Purchase Permit,

Anybody have any insight?

Thanks! :)

-Taylor Sword.

Well, depending on your county, you can go get a PPP at 20. If not, wait a month, and get a PPP or a CHP. If you get your CHP, then effectively that counts as a PPP and you're clear. Either way, you can carry it as a "loan" until you get your legalities worked out. LEO's cannot run the serial number unless the weapon is reported as stolen or used in a crime. No other check is legal. Also, LEO's cannot stop you solely because of an OC'd firearm.

Sorcice

LEO's cannot run the serial number unless the weapon is reported as stolen or used in a crime. No other check is legal.

Yet they do after seizing it for "officer safety". A lot.

Also, LEO's cannot stop you solely because of an OC'd firearm.

Welcome to the internet. Where everything people do in their life is recorded for the world to see at the low cost of high speed internet. /end sarcasm

This happens a lot as well. They aren't supposed to be doing it but if they get MWAG call they "have to check it out". Some are cool about it. Others ******. The ****** cost the city/taxpayers money and usually keep their job.

Last edited by a moderator:

NC-Heel

There is no way for them to just call in a serial # and it come back to your BIL's name. They call it in to a database that has the serial #'s of stolen objects and items that are being sought for various reasons. Stolen weed eaters are in the same database. If the number does not show up it is clear.

solus

Well, depending on your county, you can go get a PPP at 20. If not, wait a month, and get a PPP or a CHP. If you get your CHP, then effectively that counts as a PPP and you're clear. Either way, you can carry it as a "loan" until you get your legalities worked out. LEO's cannot run the serial number unless the weapon is reported as stolen or used in a crime. No other check is legal. Also, LEO's cannot stop you solely because of an OC'd firearm.

as has been stated out here many times, NC statutes 14-40x series provides for PPP issue and as long as someone has reached their majority of 18 and otherwise qualifies, may request and receive a PPP from the county's highest elected peace officer.

again as has been stated out here many times, NC's young adults eighteen upwards can OC a firearm. these individuals are prohibited by law from buying their firearm from an FFL or even ammo, but they can OC.

rummage through the old postings out here and you will find multiple threads discussing young adults carrying and the discussions surrounding their thoughts and arguments about the validity of same.

WW's suggestion of a bill of sale is invaluable and to further his idea, might wish to carry it with you when you OC to present to any LE who might wish to hassle you over their safety.

ipse

Last edited:

SGT Sword

Thanks for all the responses.

I think that my main concern was being so naive about what happens with an LEO stop.

Weird, I can carry around a M4 Carbine, and M9 pistol so comfortably, but when I'm a civilian it's a whole new ballgame, succeptable to laws and such.

I OC'd today with no problems, Just around my apartment complex, etc.
my neighbors know I'm a Soldier and actually seemed happy to see me carrying my .45 ACP, as if they have someone on their side.

Thanks again for the wealth of information on the subject.
I hope to find a meeting around the Raleigh area in the near future,

Thanks again, you guys seem like a phenomenal community I hope to be a part of.

CDT COX

I think that my main concern was being so naive about what happens with an LEO stop.

Weird, I can carry around a M4 Carbine, and M9 pistol so comfortably, but when I'm a civilian it's a whole new ballgame, succeptable to laws and such.

my neighbors know I'm a Soldier and actually seemed happy to see me carrying my .45 ACP, as if they have someone on their side.

What MOS?

Also, to get a PPP you'll need command approval like a memo from the CO. I've open carried a firearm on loan from my dad when I was 18-20. You are suppose to be able to get a PPP under 21 but most sheriffs don't like to give them out.

WalkingWolf

If you are intent on getting a CHP, a couple suggestions. Take the class while you are still 20, they are good for a year. Schedule your appointment for a date just after your birthday, my understanding is the appointments are running four months.

XD40sc

If you are 18 or older, and do not have a disqualifying history (ex-felony, fugitive, etc.) you can open carry where guns are legal.

If stopped, you do not have to prove ownership, and while a LEO can disarm you for 'officer safety' they cannot legally run the serial# to check if it is stolen. The officer would have to have probable cause to search based on the serial number, otherwise they are violating your 4th amendments rights.

Take the concealed course now, the certificate is good for at least a year (I've heard up to 5). Make your appointment to apply after you are 21. The wait for an appointment varies from a day or so in some counties to months in others. Just call the sheriff's dept and ask.