• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun meetings and statehouse testimony

MyWifeSaidYes

This was received from Toby Hoover's anti-gun group:

-------------

You are needed.

VIGIL October 11th
Quad County Coalition for the Sensible Regulation of Guns
Second Friday Peace Vigil
Friday, October 11 at 4:30 in Tiffin at the Courthouse Square.

----

SUMMIT October 27th
Multi Faith Coalition to Reduce Gun Violence
Summitt to Reduce Gun Violence
Sunday, October 27th 1:45- 5:45
St Paul's Epsicopal Church
2747 Fairmont Blvd.
Cleveland Heights, OH 44105
register at: godbeforeguns@gmail.com

----

Proponent HEARING October 29th
Join us to show support for House Bill 31
Tuesday, October 29th at 3PM
State and Local Government Committee
Committee Room 121 at the Ohio statehouse (Broad and High Sts. Columbus)
Proponent hearing on HB 31 - Safe storage of firearms to protect children
Rep Bill Patmon is the sponsor

Testimony should be limited to 5 minutes and 30 copies are requested to be submitted when registering to testify at the hearing. You can submit written testimony without orally testifying as well.

Rep. Patmon will also be giving his sponsor testimony on HB 137 for background checks on all gun sales

See our website for a list of gun bills.

-----

CHANGE
OCAGV is moving and MORE - watch for our announcement later this week.

JustJack

I could probably make the Tiffin thing, it's only 30mi from my house. Of course, while I realize that any representative of our gun rights is better than none, little ol' me all by my lonesome will be of limited use.

As an aside, in the interest of knowing what the lay of the land is, I looked up Tiffin's ordinances, and found this gem:
549.02 WEAPON POSSESSION IN CERTAIN PLACES PROHIBITED.
(a) No person, in and about the streets, alleys or other public places of the City, or at any other place within the City except as noted below, shall be in possession of or carry or have on or about his person any instrument, device or thing capable of inflicting bodily harm and designed or specifically adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried or used as a weapon.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the persons listed below:

(1) Persons at their residence or fixed place of business.

(2) Persons at a suitable firing or archery range.

(3) Persons participating in a public weapons display, show or exhibition.

(4) Persons in a vehicle being used to transport a weapon for any lawful purpose, provided that the weapon is not readily accessible to any such person, and, if the weapon is a firearm, it is transported in accordance with the provisions of Section 549.04(c).

(5) Law enforcement officers, officers and employees of the City, State, or Federal Government agencies, and officers and employees of private security firms, if they are authorized by proper authority to carry weapons and are acting within the scope of their lawful duties.

(c) Whoever violates any provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(Ord. 85-56. Passed 7-29-85.)

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=130_HB_31

Link to the bill above.

Text below:

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF OHIO:

Section 1. That section 2923.191 of the Revised Code be enacted to read as follows:

Sec. 2923.191. (A)(1) No person shall store or leave a firearm in a manner or location in the person's residence if the person knows or reasonably should know that a minor is able to gain access to the firearm.

(2)(a) This section does not apply to a person who stores or leaves a firearm in the person's residence if the firearm is kept in safe storage or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device that is properly engaged so as to render the weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner of the firearm or any other lawfully authorized user of the firearm.

(b) This section does not apply to a person who stores or leaves a firearm in the person's residence if a minor gains access to the firearm as a result of any other person's unlawful entry into the person's residence.

(B)(1) Whoever violates this section is guilty of criminally negligent storage of a firearm if a minor gains access to the firearm as a result of the violation without the lawful permission of the minor's parent, guardian, or custodian.

(2) Except as otherwise provided in division (B)(3) of this section, a violation of this section is a misdemeanor of the third degree.

(3) If the minor who gains access to the firearm as a result of the violation and without the lawful permission of the minor's parent, guardian, or custodian uses the firearm to cause personal injury or death, other than in self-defense, a violation of this section is a felony of the first degree.

(C) Nothing in this section prohibits a person who is in the person's residence from carrying a firearm on the person's person or placing a firearm in a location that is under the person's immediate control.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I could probably make the Tiffin thing, it's only 30mi from my house. Of course, while I realize that any representative of our gun rights is better than none, little ol' me all by my lonesome will be of limited use.

As an aside, in the interest of knowing what the lay of the land is, I looked up Tiffin's ordinances, and found this gem:

Seems like the state is trying to side-step the Heller I decision in regards to the need to have trigger locks, etc.

MyWifeSaidYes

I could probably make the Tiffin thing, it's only 30mi from my house. Of course, while I realize that any representative of our gun rights is better than none, little ol' me all by my lonesome will be of limited use...

Do you have a voice recorder? We can always use some inside information.

Some people are not comfortable "spying" on others. I look at it as educating myself on the other side's position.

:rolleyes:

MyWifeSaidYes

Seems like the state is trying to side-step the Heller I decision in regards to the need to have trigger locks, etc.

Not the state. Only one (anti-gun) rep introduced this bill and he has only two co-sponsors. It won't go anywhere with this Assembly.

JustJack

Do you have a voice recorder? We can always use some inside information.

Some people are not comfortable "spying" on others. I look at it as educating myself on the other side's position.

:rolleyes:

I have my LG Lucid smartphone. Does video w/ sound. Not sure how good of a 'spy' I'd be, I only OC, and I always OC..I think I'd stick out a Ms. Hoover's party.

JustJack

Did some digging, and these Quad County Coalition for the Sensible Regulation of Guns guys are so far out on the anti limb, they make normal anti's look...normal.
Suggested reforms the coalition is promoting:

Ban sale and use of all assault weapons except for military use.

Ban sale and use of high-capacity ammunition magazines and limit those available to fewer than 10 bullets.

Require thorough background checks and 28-day waiting period for all gun sales.

Close the "gun show loophole" (no restrictions on private sales of firearms) and increase penalties of those who lie on background checks.

Increase support for treatment of mental illness. Require professionals to report mentally ill patients who threaten to use guns or have access to them.

Ban sale and use of bullets that can penetrate "bullet proof" vests of police officers.

Include national firearms database as part of increased budget and staffing for ATF.

Make gun trafficking a felony.

Rollback concealed-carry laws.

Regulate guns in much the same way as the manufacture, sale and operation of motor vehicles are controlled. This would include minimum age for operation, renewable licensing of operators, required education, registration, a statewide database for drivers and vehicles, required safety features and penalties for using a firearm while impaired.

Last edited:

Grengore

I should be able to make it to the one In summit on the 27'th. maybe even a few friends. I'll be getting a recorder soon anyways, any advice on choosing one?

MyWifeSaidYes

I was going to disarm and venture into the lion's den at the anti-HB203 rally last Wednesday, until I found out someone else had organized a PRO-HB203 rally.

That just sounded like more fun.

If you can go, but don't want to disarm, call and ask the pastor of the church if they are against gun violence or if they are against guns, period, and want to take away your guns.

When they say they are just against gun violence and don't want to take away your guns, ask them for permission to attend their rally while armed.

You probably won't be surprised by the answer you get.