Thread: Police: Rail commuters on phones didn't notice gun. ZERO Situational awareness.

Police: Rail commuters on phones didn't notice gun. ZERO Situational awareness.

"A man standing on a crowded Muni train pulls out a .45-caliber pistol. He raises the gun, pointing it across the aisle, before tucking it back against his side. He draws it out several more times, once using the hand holding the gun to wipe his nose. Dozens of passengers stand and sit just feet away - but none reacts. Their eyes, focused on smartphones and tablets, don't lift until the gunman fires a bullet into the back of a San Francisco State student getting off the train. Investigators say this scene was captured by a Muni camera on Sept. 23, the night Nikhom Thephakaysone, 30, allegedly killed 20-year-old Justin Valdez in an apparently random encounter. For police and prosecutors, the details of the case were troubling - they believe the suspect had been out "hunting" for a stranger to kill - but so too was the train passengers' collective inattention to imminent danger."

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/...709.php#page-2
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-09-04-21-46
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Given that CA residents are trained to know that their fellow law abiding citizens are disarmed, by law, the need to "look" for a gun is misspent effort. But, if someone had a unlit cigarette hanging out of their mouth I bet those nitwits on the MUNI would have been equipped with eagle eyes.

I disagree. BART police officer Johannes Mehserle shooting Oscar Grant, case in point.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Different circumstances, a uniformed cop doing 'X' on a platform, and a thug doing something on a moving train.

I agree that the mind set of the general public is the same as the state law makers and that is if we pass a law outlawing guns then only cops will have guns and we will be protected 100%. This is the lie that the goverment wants you to believe and the weak minded do believe it.

So it is more like shooting "sheep" in a barrel than shooting fish as at least fish are schooled.

Why look for a gun when they are illegal? Why even pay attention to your surrounding as the goverment has made everything safe; from the air and water to the trains and cars we ride in.

He should have simply placed it into a properly carried holster and calmly gone about his business.

I've been repeatedly told that carrying it in that manner will frighten the general public and bog down the system with countless MWAG calls.

timeout...what were the passengers supposed to do???????????????????

they're defenseless in a confined space and cannot escape. you better believe i'd be buried in my phone/book hoping he doesn't point that thing at me...unless there's an opportunity to take action (if he turns his back?) how many passengers are able-bodied enough to wrest a pistol from an adult male's hand? what if it fires during the struggle?

it's the criminal's fault...not the passengers/victim/legislature.

Quote Originally Posted by CT Barfly View Post

they're defenseless in a confined space and cannot escape. you better believe i'd be buried in my phone/book hoping he doesn't point that thing at me...unless there's an opportunity to take action (if he turns his back?) how many passengers are able-bodied enough to wrest a pistol from an adult male's hand? what if it fires during the struggle?

I would rather go down fighting though; take 911 and the Penn flight. The criminals took control and the passangers took action instead of just sitting there waiting to be killed. Able-bodied? I would say most could have fought back in some way even though nobody knows how they will react in a situation such as this.

I think the point is that nobody on the train even had any "situational awareness"; this goes to the point that nodody even noticed him until he actually started pulling the trigger.

I guess it all depends on whether or not the passengers noticed and would then consider a course of action, or choose a course of in-action. Unless one, or more, of those on that train car step forward we have no data other than what is reported.

I agree, in principle, if a gun is pulled in that situation I hope that I would notice and then choose a course of action based on the threat I believe is posed to me.

well, yes. maybe the best course of action at that time was to act like you're unaware while closely monitoring the situation. having lived in the mother-of-all-ignore-but-pay-attention cities, NYC, it's second nature.

when the crazy many is licking the bottom of his shoe and eyeballing everyone in the train car...best to avoid eye contact but make sure he doesn't come any closer.

Banned

Ask him for his name and address so that they could write him a stern letter?