Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illinois carry

Thumbs up Illinois carry

I've been reading the new laws and as long as our loaded guns stay in our vehicles we are legal. Locking our guns out of sight anywhere in a vehicle legal. I suggest to have a gun case in the front seat with you if you are going in to a hotel or say you car brakes down. Unloaded in a 'container' is legal too. I know someone going to O'Hare this week to pickup a friend and has decided to carry.

Although I'm not sure how many Ill LEO's know the new law yet, has anyone been brave enough to vehicle carry in Illinois?

source: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...F/098-0063.pdf
    Last edited by Golden Eagle; 10-09-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: link added
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Re: Illinois carry

Yes, have done it and my understanding is that officers have been made aware of the law. Nonresidents may now possess a loaded pistol in the nonresident's vehicle if you may carry in your home state. Although not required, I'd bring my CPL.

See: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=117776
    Visiting from Florida
    Last edited by DrTodd; 10-09-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Question

Thanks for the reply DrTodd. I'll change my question for more opinions.
    Who thinks they might be brave enough to car-carry there in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    I already have, but it was just a brief period of time as I traveled through the state on my way West (and back East). Didn't stop while in the state, and although I was prepared if I happened to get stopped I sure felt relieved when we crossed out of Illinois...
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

I am brave enough to, but I'm not willing to go to Illinois... so I guess its moot.

So I can carry in my car in Illinois, but not in my home state, nice.

With my CPL I might be willing to OC in my car in Chicago, without it, ummmm no.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    I thought you were deleting your account???

I certainly will now, if I ever have to pass through again. But it still won't change much in regards to my strategy for illinois. Fill gas tank before crossing border, make sure to be stocked on food, avoid cook county by not less than 50 miles but preferably more, and stop only if absolutely necessary, getting out of the state as rapidly as possible without speeding.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

I was in Chicago Heights, Cook County, shortly after this. Honestly, I didn't know I was technically legal at the time. I was actually trying to stay out of Illinois on my leg from Michigan to Texas. But when I listened to the GPS too soon and found myself in Chicago Heights, I was already there, sans mens rea, so I decided to just roll through instead of trying to turn around my huge trailer on those busy, crowded streets. And the roads in Indiana were horrible, so bad that I was okay with risking a felony to stay off of them. The Interstate south in Illinois made it worth it. Turns out, I was legal anyway. I'd have never guessed. I had two loaded handguns within reach in the cab, and two long guns with loaded magazines in the rack.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

This is good news for me. The "short" route to MI takes me through ILL. The long way takes me way out of the way but hey, my life is worth it to me. . ILLinois is the perfect example of how gun control DOES NOT work. The criminals there love strict gun laws, whilst the honest people there suffer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    I certainly will now, if I ever have to pass through again. But it still won't change much in regards to my strategy for illinois. Fill gas tank before crossing border, make sure to be stocked on food, avoid cook county by not less than 50 miles but preferably more, and stop only if absolutely necessary, getting out of the state as rapidly as possible without speeding.
    ^^^
    This
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    I thought you were deleting your account???
    Hey casper how'd you get your account un-erased?

Just pulling your leg. We knew you'd be back...we kind of grow on people...some like poison ivy...
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 10-10-2013 at 09:50 PM.

I will be going down the first weekend of November to visit friends and co-workers. I will be in Chicago for two days and will car carry and leave it locked and loaded in my safe, or unloaded and cased in the trunk, when I have to get out of the car. I will be staying nights in a supposedly gun friendly chain in Merrilville, IN and likely won't do any OC'ing while down there just to avoid any unnecessary hassles out of state.

I don't think you can. The way I understood the laws is if you are not allowed to car carry in your car in MI you can not car carry in IL but I may obviously be wrong. IANAL, etc.
    Last edited by fozzy71; 10-12-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    The way I understood the laws is if you are not allowed to car carry in your car in MI you can not car carry in IL but I may obviously be wrong. IANAL, etc.
    I would suggest not to carry without a carry license too but the Ill law says "is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence".
    I am not a lawyer but I think all fifty states now offer some form of license, even Hawaii residents are eligible even though I don't think Hawaii has issued a license in years.
    casper can OC here so he is more than eligible, he is allowed.
    Again on this one I stress IANAL.
    Last edited by Golden Eagle; 10-12-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Campaign Veteran
    I would suggest not to carry without a carry license too but the Ill law says "is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence".
    I am not a lawyer but I think all fifty states now offer some form of license, even Hawaii residents are eligible even though I don't think Hawaii has issued a license in years.
    Vermonters have no license, but are "eligible" to carry in their home state.

Eligible is eligible. If they wanted a physical permit, they would have asked for one. It's not like the IL legislature didn't know they existed.

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    Vermonters have no license, but are "eligible" to carry in their home state.

Eligible is eligible. If they wanted a physical permit, they would have asked for one. It's not like the IL legislature didn't know they existed.
    No, But like Mayor Heartwell of GR they might like the confusion as well. And lets not forget Chicago's top cop http://bearingarms.com/chicago-top-c...aled-carriers/
    Last edited by Raggs; 10-12-2013 at 08:17 PM.
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

Thanks for quoting the law. I agree that he is technically eligible and should be able to car carry in Ill after reading it but I wouldn't do it without being able to prove I was eligible to carry in some manner.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Only if you have a CPL from your home state.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Only if you have a CPL from your home state.

Not according to the law.

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    Not according to the law.
    LOL. I would have said this too, but wasn't sure if he meant that Casper couldn't "car carry" in Michigan without a home state CPL or that he couldn't "car carry" in Illinois without a home-state CPL. The first statement would be "true", the second, as you pointed out, would be "false".
    Last edited by DrTodd; 10-14-2013 at 05:32 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

I'm brave enough. The law clearly allows those who can carry in public in their home state to do so in their car while in Illinois.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I'm brave enough. The law clearly allows those who can carry in public in their home state to do so in their car while in Illinois.
    The way I take it is Illinois residents cannot carry in their vehicle. Sounds like a good basis to challenge that brown sandwich of a law.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Since Zig didn't answer my question on MGO I am going to cross post it here:

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo
    http://handgunlaw.us.

Essentially, if you're legal to possess/carry a gun in your home state, then you can possess/carry in a vehicle in Illinois.

Must be locked up and unloaded when leaving the car, but while you're present in the vehicle it can be loaded and on your person.

They have preempted the whole state on this.

I was under the impression it didn't have to be unloaded if it was left in the cabin of a locked vehicle but if you get out to put it in the trunk it must be unloaded before you exit the vehicle. Am I reading this wrong? I don't see where it says it must be unloaded.

Subsection (b) of Section 65 States:

(b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of
    subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a
    prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a
    concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a
    firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view
    within the vehicle in the parking area.
    A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area
    surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or
    retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is
    unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment
    or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a
    firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    Since Zig didn't answer my question on MGO I am going to cross post it here:
    From what I see there is nothing in the law that says the firearm must be unloaded while being stored in a case in a locked car.
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast