• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois carry

Golden Eagle

I've been reading the new laws and as long as our loaded guns stay in our vehicles we are legal. Locking our guns out of sight anywhere in a vehicle legal. I suggest to have a gun case in the front seat with you if you are going in to a hotel or say you car brakes down. Unloaded in a 'container' is legal too. I know someone going to O'Hare this week to pickup a friend and has decided to carry.

Although I'm not sure how many Ill LEO's know the new law yet, has anyone been brave enough to vehicle carry in Illinois? :)

source: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/PDF/098-0063.pdf

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Thanks for the reply DrTodd. I'll change my question for more opinions.
Who thinks they might be brave enough to car-carry there in the future?

JustaShooter

I already have, but it was just a brief period of time as I traveled through the state on my way West (and back East). Didn't stop while in the state, and although I was prepared if I happened to get stopped I sure felt relieved when we crossed out of Illinois...

Michigander

I certainly will now, if I ever have to pass through again. But it still won't change much in regards to my strategy for illinois. Fill gas tank before crossing border, make sure to be stocked on food, avoid cook county by not less than 50 miles but preferably more, and stop only if absolutely necessary, getting out of the state as rapidly as possible without speeding.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was in Chicago Heights, Cook County, shortly after this. Honestly, I didn't know I was technically legal at the time. I was actually trying to stay out of Illinois on my leg from Michigan to Texas. But when I listened to the GPS too soon and found myself in Chicago Heights, I was already there, sans mens rea, so I decided to just roll through instead of trying to turn around my huge trailer on those busy, crowded streets. And the roads in Indiana were horrible, so bad that I was okay with risking a felony to stay off of them. The Interstate south in Illinois made it worth it. Turns out, I was legal anyway. I'd have never guessed. I had two loaded handguns within reach in the cab, and two long guns with loaded magazines in the rack.

FreeInAZ

This is good news for me. The "short" route to MI takes me through ILL. The long way takes me way out of the way but hey, my life is worth it to me. ;). ILLinois is the perfect example of how gun control DOES NOT work. The criminals there love strict gun laws, whilst the honest people there suffer. :(

FreeInAZ

I certainly will now, if I ever have to pass through again. But it still won't change much in regards to my strategy for illinois. Fill gas tank before crossing border, make sure to be stocked on food, avoid cook county by not less than 50 miles but preferably more, and stop only if absolutely necessary, getting out of the state as rapidly as possible without speeding.

^^^
This

fozzy71

Thanks for the reply DrTodd. I'll change my question for more opinions.

I will be going down the first weekend of November to visit friends and co-workers. I will be in Chicago for two days and will car carry and leave it locked and loaded in my safe, or unloaded and cased in the trunk, when I have to get out of the car. I will be staying nights in a supposedly gun friendly chain in Merrilville, IN and likely won't do any OC'ing while down there just to avoid any unnecessary hassles out of state.

So I can carry in my car in Illinois, but not in my home state, nice.

I don't think you can. The way I understood the laws is if you are not allowed to car carry in your car in MI you can not car carry in IL but I may obviously be wrong. IANAL, etc.

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

The way I understood the laws is if you are not allowed to car carry in your car in MI you can not car carry in IL but I may obviously be wrong. IANAL, etc.
I would suggest not to carry without a carry license too but the Ill law says "is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence".
I am not a lawyer but I think all fifty states now offer some form of license, even Hawaii residents are eligible even though I don't think Hawaii has issued a license in years.
casper can OC here so he is more than eligible, he is allowed. :)
Again on this one I stress IANAL.

Last edited:

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
I would suggest not to carry without a carry license too but the Ill law says "is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence".
I am not a lawyer but I think all fifty states now offer some form of license, even Hawaii residents are eligible even though I don't think Hawaii has issued a license in years.

Vermonters have no license, but are "eligible" to carry in their home state.

Eligible is eligible. If they wanted a physical permit, they would have asked for one. It's not like the IL legislature didn't know they existed. :)

Raggs

Last edited:

fozzy71

Thanks for quoting the law. I agree that he is technically eligible and should be able to car carry in Ill after reading it but I wouldn't do it without being able to prove I was eligible to carry in some manner.