• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

10 Steps to Successful Open Carry Activism.....

tomrkba

Caleb is very anti-open carry. His paradigm demands others comply with his world view. He does not understand that a police officer acting beyond his authority does not deserve a polite response; it deserves a legal response. He misinterprets this as "being a dick". The problem with the article is the tone turns the reader off. Why would anyone who open carries change their behavior based upon what Caleb wrote?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When one reachs for crude or base verbiage right out of the gate, they lose my attention.

That and I much prefer OCDO mantra and acceptance of all legal gun carriers to his "rules" - some of which sound anti.

Activism is an attitude, but it need not be a negative.

Thundar

When one reachs for crude or base verbiage right out of the gate, they lose my attention.

That and I much prefer OCDO mantra and acceptance of all legal gun carriers to his "rules" - some of which sound anti.

Activism is an attitude, but it need not be a negative.

His basic premise about the success or failure of open carry is wrong. He thinks that open carry must be fore some other political purpose (That is why open carry failed in California but succeeded in Virginia.)

It succeeded in Virginia because:

1) Open carriers stuck together. We turned out en masse (over 100 strong), open carrying to the Norfolk City Council meetings to show them that they would be called out when they enacted illegal ordinances. We stood behind Danbus when he was detained. We held open carry picnics in public parks when certain towns told us we couldn't.

2) We had an activist mindset. Voice recorders scared the hell out of Norfolk and Portsmouth cops. When a gun owner was put on trialin Chesapeake for shooting an intruder, our blogs scared the hell out of the special district attorney, prompting him to petition for a change in venue stating that he couldn't get a fair trial due to the presence of OCDO. We did not provide ID because we did not have to provide ID. We invented the tactic of sterile open carry.

3) We used all of the liberty tools available to us, not just the 2A. We asserted 1A, 4th A and 5th A rights when hassled by police. They didn'y get much out of the interactions, except for You Tube postings.

4) Our support system included, and still includes, some great lawyers.

Bottom line: To answer your question Grapeshot, until that P4P quisling grows a pair and walks on the Open Carry Front Line, he should go back to his parents basement and play more XBOX Call of Duty, leaving the fight for our godgiven rights to those with the intestinal fortitude to finish the fight.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

Bottom line: To answer your question Grapeshot, until that P4P quisling grows a pair and walks on the Open Carry Front Line, he should go back to his parents basement and play more XBOX Call of Duty, leaving the fight for our godgiven rights to those with the intestinal fortitude to finish the fight.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar
Not me. I made a statement - did not pose a question.

You're preachin' to the choir a well recognized sermon. Think we have found the same answers, have been there, done that, and are still doing it
icon14.png

eye95

At the risk of losing GS's attention (not necessarily a bad thing, if misreading is a possibility), I think the author was being a dick.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The assertion that OC must be for some ulterior political purpose is baseless.

OC is more socially acceptable, and more tactically sound, than is CC.

I'm tired of the CC echo-chamber spewing the contrary fantasy, and I have absolutely no idea where it came from in the first place. It's illogical and contrary to easily-attainable experience.

stealthyeliminator

I don't see anything in his blog (?) that hasn't already been said a buncha times and been rebutted a buncha times as well. Does it really need to be rehashed point by point, again? Genuinely unsure...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
From what the writer said in #9 (about cops being neutral or pro-carry), it appears that he has not had any experience with cops in Chicago!
:D
Or in NY, FL, TX, SC, urban CA, or the city of Denver + all of the states where only licensed OC is legal, in which harassment is not all together infrequent.

OC for ME

The coarse language used does not discredit his opinion expressed in #6.

Ya go to a CC centric site, you invariably read CC centric pap. I posted a comment regarding #9.

OC for ME

The coarse language used does not discredit his opinion expressed in #6.

Ya go to a CC centric site, you invariably read CC centric pap. I posted a comment regarding #9.

My post, awaiting moderation as of this posting.
I agree with you, generally speaking, depending on the jurisdiction. There are countless cases of “big city cops” falling into the 1% cop category, which, if you live in a big city, the 1% cops are in your reality likely to be 99% of the cops. Seattle PD comes to mind.

Being polite regardless of the circumstances of the encounter, or the cops demeanor, only helps your cause, in the long run. It certainly does not mean that you would be “OK” in the long run. The time, effort, and money is only a part of the story. A 1% cop (or his department/the city) getting sued certainly does not impart a positive image of OCers in that cop. Nor is it likely to impart a positive image to some of his fellow cops. But, that would be the OCer’s fault…..right? I mean, cops have a job to do and sometimes they are darned if they do and darned if they don’t.

The 1% cops look just like the 99% cops and respect begets respect. If a 99% cop makes contact with me, a nice OCer, I certainly hope that a positive result manifests itself. There are no guarantees in life though. If a 1% cop makes contact with me that 1% cop will encounter a very circumspect OCer.

By the way, your use of d**k should have been applied to the 1% cops as well because the 1% cops can be d**ks too.