• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC near an airport

Speedywrx

Hey folks. Is it wise/legal to OC on a public road just outside the perimiter fence of McCarran Airport?

My other hobby is photography and I'd like to snap some photos of planes taking off/landing. The spot is right by a bus stop on a public road right next to the fence. Going alone, I would like to have some protection/deterrence with me, especially with my expensive equipment.

I've already done some searching on the legalities of photography at an airport and as long as it's not explicitly marked "No photography," it's public land and it's allowed. Now would like advice on OC'ing.

Thanks!

OC for ME

Not sure this will help or hinder. I have taken my son(s) to a spot (close to the security parameter, that permits us to view take-offs and landings at St. Louis International. A cop drove by once, and a airport cop drove by about an hour later (probaly not related). What they saw was a couple of kids and a adult sitting on the tailgate of a pick-up truck, with binoculars and a camera on a tripod (nothing fancy) on a Saturday Afternoon.

Not saying you should have a couple of kids with you, but, if looks like you are engaged in a hobby to the casual observer the cops are likely to not bug you. Tripod with camera mounted and a folding chair for the slow time may indicate to a cop nothing more that a dude with too much time on his hands.

A cop may not even see your OCed pistol. If a cop sees your OCed pistol he may not care. Let us know how things work out for ya.

Just a suggestion.

The Big Guy

Hey folks. Is it wise/legal to OC on a public road just outside the perimiter fence of McCarran Airport?

My other hobby is photography and I'd like to snap some photos of planes taking off/landing. The spot is right by a bus stop on a public road right next to the fence. Going alone, I would like to have some protection/deterrence with me, especially with my expensive equipment.

I've already done some searching on the legalities of photography at an airport and as long as it's not explicitly marked "No photography," it's public land and it's allowed. Now would like advice on OC'ing.

Thanks!

No prohibition against OC in a Nevada airport so there certainly is no problem OC outside the airport.

TBG

JustaShooter

Of course people on an OC forum are going to say you're ok. You want an opinion from a forum with people who would be among those challenging you.

:rolleyes:

The people on the OC forum who are from the same state and region are almost certainly much more up-to-speed on the law regarding OC than random police officer. OP would do well to learn it himself (both as regards OC and photography) to be better prepared should there be an encounter.

Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to have a recording device along, or even a friend with a video recorder...

Maverick9

:rolleyes:

The people on the OC forum who are from the same state and region are almost certainly much more up-to-speed on the law regarding OC than random police officer. OP would do well to learn it himself (both as regards OC and photography) to be better prepared should there be an encounter.

Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to have a recording device along, or even a friend with a video recorder...

Well, then they're two questions, really. One is about the law and sure OC forum state members would be up on that, others whom might confront you, not so much.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've OC'd in the baggage claim and ticket counter area of McCarran Airport. This is perfectly legal and trouble-free in the more-free states like Nevada. Welcome to the forum! I've also OC'd into the PT's Pub and drank a beer right across the street from the landing strip parking lot where photographers often set up.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Well, then they're two questions, really. One is about the law and sure OC forum state members would be up on that, others whom might confront you, not so much.

So specifically you would only listen to the opinions of Nevada LEOs on that pro-cop forum. Keep in mind you will get a very narrow band more indicative of a certain type of LEO on a site like that. An OC site will be full of actual experiences of local carriers in addition to expert analysis of the law.

Vegassteve

You should post this question here:

http://www.policeone.com/police-forums/

Of course people on an OC forum are going to say you're ok. You want an opinion from a forum with people who would be among those challenging you.

Are you one of the thugs that dresses in blue? Those who were the costume with the shiny metal have very little knowledge of the law. And I dont want a opinion from some costumed clown.

jdholmes

I have OC'd at McArren once. Also OC'd a relatively long blade several times with no issues.

I don't see how there would be any question outside the airport even if there were laws restricting it inside. That's like saying you can't carry across the street from a federal facility...Or you can't carry in a national park because you are beside a federal building where federal employees work.

As far as asking a cop forum - it really doesn't matter what their opinion is on the matter. If there is no law restricting it, it's none of their business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Fallschirjmäger

Let us not forget that some officers, certainly not all, believe that just because something isn't against the law that they shouldn't use their authority to discourage and harass...
Witness this excerpt from Officer.com regarding someone who was legally armed and near a school. "Man "protesting 2nd Amendment rights" creeps around Oregon school"
L-1 said:
With as many unsolved crimes as there are on the books, I would think there is at least one unsolved felony where this guy’s physical description and weapon fit that of an outstanding suspect. This would at least warrant him being taken into custody for a day or so while detectives go do a photo lineup with the victim of the cold crime.

If he is the right guy, then a cold case is solved. OTOH if he is not the right guy then dust him off and send him on his way. Not our fault if he and his weapon fit the description of a wanted felon.

It's obvious that the behavior suggested is based not upon a reasonable suspicion of illegality about what the citizen is doing but upon wishing to cause annoyance to the citizen by virtue of the officer's position. One can imagine that same officer suggesting all dark-skinned individuals be rounded up just because there was a felony 'at some time in the past' and the description matched the general appearance of a black man walking peacefully down the street.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Let us not forget that some officers, certainly not all, believe that just because something isn't against the law that they shouldn't use their authority to discourage and harass...

What with all the cops that have committed heinous felonies, we should do the same to each guy in a uniform until someone can verify they are one of the good ones. And there is probably a greater percentage of crooked cops than crooked non-cops.

Fallschirjmäger

Officers are trained to approach all citizen contact (including and perhaps especially traffic stops) as "this is the guy that could suddenly pull out a gun and kill you." I treat all police contact as "this could be the guy who's intent on arresting you, just because he's in a bad mood."
If he isn't, that's fine, I'll just dust Officer Friendly off and send him on his way.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Officers are trained to approach all citizen contact....

And yet OC is not a reason for a citizen contact, except that they WANT to shove some weight around. Circular logic, which is fortunately much more rare here than most of the country, and even much better now than ten years ago.

Steve Larson

I OC'd in the airport my last trip down, and in the car rental area... no problems.. Whether it is because the way I dress people assume I'm a plain clothes cop, or just that I carry myself as if it is the most normal thing in the world, no one seems to pay attention... So I can't imagine that a person hanging out at the edge of the property with some cameras while OC'ing should garner any problems.

The waitress in PTs pub that Mac mentioned before didn't even say a word to us when we were in there... If you don't make a big deal about it, then neither will most people.

Speedywrx

Thanks for all the input! I don't dress like a thug - I'm in the military. Should a cop pull up and question me I plan on being respectful and honest. Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem though.

Fallschirjmäger

Officers are trained to approach all citizen contact (including and perhaps especially traffic stops) as "this is the guy that could suddenly pull out a gun and kill you." I treat all police contact as "this could be the guy who's intent on arresting you, just because he's in a bad mood."
If he isn't, that's fine, I'll just dust Officer Friendly off and send him on his way.

And yet OC is not a reason for a citizen contact, except that they WANT to shove some weight around. Circular logic, which is fortunately much more rare here than most of the country, and even much better now than ten years ago.
Ah, but I didn't say it was a legitimate reason, did I? There's no reason why an officer couldn't just want to approach and say 'nice shirt, where'd you get it?"
But to elaborate, even if all an officer is saying is "Hi, hot enough for ya?" he's trained to be on the alert, because he 'just never knows who's gonna be the one." No circular logic involved.

Last edited:

CE310QT

PERFECTLY legal.

I cannot comment on whether it is wise or not. Frankly, it doesn't matter. If it is not illegal, it is legal, wisdom and propriety ain't got nothin to do with it.

I carry concealed and open on various airport premises throughout the country all the time. In Nevada, as long as you aren't concealed in a public building (terminal) on the airport, or open carrying or concealed in a "secure area" (virtually inaccessible unless you go through security) you are PERFECTLY within your rights.