• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GUNS SAVE LIVES DAY - Dec. 14

papa bear

A BG USES a gun to commit crime~~A gun seen by a BG on a GG stops crime. It really is very simple in the application of the tool. Without the gun the LAC cannot deter crime by it's very presence. It is different for CC because the hidden presence of the gun does not prevent crime, then it is the application of the tool that may or may not prevent crime.

good one ++1 WOLF

papa bear

just to add to it WOLF, i have had BGs leave me alone because they saw a gun on the seat in my truck. i suppose they thought it was a pit bull that would attack them

JustaShooter

Manikin in squad cars have been proven to reduce speeding. A lifelike manikin placed properly most probably would have the same affect.

You just proved my point. The BG has to believe that there is someone with the means to oppose them. A sufficiently lifelike manikin with a gun makes the BG believe there is a GG with the means to oppose him.

You can believe what you want, I will believe what I believe. And I believe the sight of a gun worn by a LAC saves lives. (insert thumbing nose here) :lol:

I never disagreed with the basic premise. But I also believe that it is not the gun that does it.

WalkingWolf

You just proved my point. The BG has to believe that there is someone with the means to oppose them. A sufficiently lifelike manikin with a gun makes the BG believe there is a GG with the means to oppose him.

I never disagreed with the basic premise. But I also believe that it is not the gun that does it.

Again you can believe what you want. I will believe common sense, no gun, no deterrence.

Oooops forgot to thumb my nose...

Last edited:

eye95

*sigh*

The gun did not save anyone's life. Your action to point a gun at the BG and order him out did.

You folks do realize that when you say, "Guns save lives," you are making the same foolish mistake as antis when they say, "Guns kill people."

Guns don't do a damned thing.

JustaShooter

*sigh*

The gun did not save anyone's life. Your action to point a gun at the BG and order him out did.

You folks do realize that when you say, "Guns save lives," you are making the same foolish mistake as antis when they say, "Guns kill people."

Guns don't do a damned thing.

This. ^^

He could have been holding a baseball bat or one of those comical oversized monkey wrenches or a broadsword and the end result would have likely been the same - assuming that made him equally or better armed than the aggressor. And nobody would be saying "swords save lives!" :rolleyes:

WalkingWolf

Brake pads stop heavy moving vehicles. The negligent act of not using them or not performing maintenance can cost lives. There is a big difference between an act, and a deterrence. Without the presence of good pads a car cannot stop no matter how much the act of pushing the pedal of the car.

It is not my fault that some people have not got what it takes to separate a act, from a object. This is the very problem the anti's have and I find it amusing, although sad that some here use that argument to SOUND exactly like anti's. Funny it is some of the same people who hate on long gun OC.

papa bear

So ... How'd the gun get into the holster?

actually, my holster is already on my pants and the gun just po go's over and jumps in. it hasn't figured out yet how to do the retention strap so i have to do it for it :rolleyes:

you guy's are trying to argue semantics. the point is that the sight of a firearm WILL deter BGS. i don't have to touch it, shoot it, or even point at it. just the sight of it will make them choose a softer target

eye95

actually, my holster is already on my pants and the gun just po go's over and jumps in. it hasn't figured out yet how to do the retention strap so i have to do it for it :rolleyes:

you guy's are trying to argue semantics. the point is that the sight of a firearm WILL deter BGS. i don't have to touch it, shoot it, or even point at it. just the sight of it will make them choose a softer target

These semantics are important. We argue those very semantics when we remind antis that "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." Some validate the errant argument of the antis when they say, "Guns save lives." Guns don't do a damned thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Rusty Young Man

Neither the (inanimate) gun or an unarmed citizen will likely deter a criminal that has set their eyes on something. Try leaving a (realistic-looking) gun on the seat of a parked car, or out on the porch. Chances are we wouldn't hear about criminals stealing guns from vehicles if the GUN was the deterrent.
A firearm is an object, and if it appears to be within reach for use BY a LAC, it is the expressed POSSIBILITY of its use that provides the deterrent. Case in point, I had to OC an empty firearm this past Sunday (had to remove the mag and round in the chamber before I got to the gun show to check it). Even with an EMPTY gun, people seemed all too aware of the possibility of me using it (obviously, they didn't know it was empty).

WalkingWolf

These semantics are important. We argue those very semantics when we remind antis that "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." Some validate the errant argument of the antis when they say, "Guns save lives." Guns don't do a damned thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Killing and preventing crime are two totally separate things. Killing is a act, not killing because of the presence of a gun is not a act, it is the omission of a act because of a gun.

It really is very simple, for those intelligent enough to grasp it.

eye95

And for those intelligent enough to grasp it, the gun did nothing. It was the LAC possessing the gun (an act) that was the deterrence.

Test (similar to the one alluded to above): Put a gun in the middle of the street. See if it prevents a crime or if one is committed. I got money on one being committed. Someone is going to steal that gun.

It ain't the gun (for those intelligent enough to grasp this). It is the armed citizen.

I really wouldn't have responded except for that poster behaving like an ass with his intelligence comment.

Moving on from the convo with the one behaving like an ass.

WalkingWolf

That is right the gun did nothing, and neither did the carrier, the BG chooses NOT to do something because of the presence of a gun. It is very simple, there is no action on the carrier's part, the action is the BG choosing not to be a BG BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF A GUN. Next you will claim a roof does not stop rain.

FreeInAZ

That is right the gun did nothing, and neither did the carrier, the BG chooses NOT to do something because of the presence of a gun. It is very simple, there is no action on the carrier's part, the action is the BG choosing not to be a BG BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF A GUN. Next you will claim a roof does not stop rain.

Well to be technical the roof simply deflects & alter's the path of rain....:p Lol just razzing you wolf.
Okay now to get this trainwreck back on track... ;) I will be wearing my GUNS SAVE LIVES pin and carry one or more FNX-45(s) :monkey: :D

Last edited:

beebobby

They should have picked a day where someone with a gun actually saved a bunch of lives (documented). This is kind of like having Japan Appreciation Day on the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

WalkingWolf

It will be a stupid pin that helps foster the "Guns kill people" stupidity.

Again, guns don't do a damned thing.

NO they don't BUT their presence make criminals NOT do something. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

WalkingWolf

Well to be technical the roof simply deflects & alter's the path of rain....:p Lol just razzing you wolf.
Okay now to get this trainwreck back on track... ;) I will be wearing my GUNS SAVE LIVES pin and carry one or more FNX-45(s) :monkey: :D

Shucks, I was waiting for eye to claim the roofer stops the rain... :lol:

OC for ME

The rain drops "see" the roof prior to impact and the deterrent factor of the roofs' presence forces a fair number of the rain drops to not impact the roof. The rain drops that do hit the roof are those drops who were not paying attention, or were blind.