Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Any place to store our handguns in VA while visiting DC on Saturday?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    358

    Question Any place to store our handguns in VA while visiting DC on Saturday?

    My relative has asked me to go with him to DC this weekend. We will leave Ohio on Friday, visit some places like Monticello, proceed on to DC for a couple of hours (Million Vet March), and then back out. We're planning on coming up Route 29 converging with I-66. Are there any target ranges, gun shops, or kind hearted people of the gun who would be willing to allow us to store a couple of handguns and magazines whilst we visit DC? We both have our Ohio CHLs.

    We're open for suggestions and I'm planning on trying to reach someone by telephone at the VCDL tomorrow. Any help and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato

  2. #2
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by JmE View Post
    My relative has asked me to go with him to DC this weekend. We will leave Ohio on Friday, visit some places like Monticello, proceed on to DC for a couple of hours (Million Vet March), and then back out. We're planning on coming up Route 29 converging with I-66. Are there any target ranges, gun shops, or kind hearted people of the gun who would be willing to allow us to store a couple of handguns and magazines whilst we visit DC? We both have our Ohio CHLs.

    We're open for suggestions and I'm planning on trying to reach someone by telephone at the VCDL tomorrow. Any help and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Just FYI, in an apparent effort to keep Mr. Jefferson from developing bed sores in his grave, it's widely reported that the caretakers of his home, Monticello, have decreed his home to be a mythical "gun free zone."

    TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 10-11-2013 at 12:05 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Just FYI, in an apparent effort to keep Mr. Jefferson from developing bed sores in his grave, it's widely reported that the caretakers of his home, Monticello, have decreed his home to be a mythical "gun free zone."
    I figured as much and had earlier wondered out loud to my relative if they hooked a fan up to the grave as to reap benefit of the RPMs. Thanks for the heads up.
    Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    PM me. I live about 15 miles outside DC, very near the Mt Vernon estate. They could reside in my safe while you go.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    For a nominal fee, almost any gun store should accept a firearm for "cleaning" and if such firearm isn't cleaned before the patron comes back I can't think of why they should be charged for it. When I worked in such a place, it wasn't unheard of for people to store their firearm in our safe under certain circumstances.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    PM me. I live about 15 miles outside DC, very near the Mt Vernon estate. They could reside in my safe while you go.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7AyiVfNdA

    I doubt that's u .

  7. #7
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    In case you haven't seen these reports, make sure you look over your car very carefully for any loose shell casings before you enter DC.

    TFred

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    358
    Thanks for all of the replies. I spoke with Tess earlier yesterday and we're squared away. We just settled down in Lexington for the night and will decide on Monticello or not later in the morning.
    Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    210
    I have a safe that's solidly attached to my wife's vehicle. When we go to DC, we park in a Metrorail lot, and stow our firearms there.

    I need to get a second one welded to the bed on my Jeep, but I can't settle on where to place it.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    VERY short notice, but we're meeting about 5 for dinner at El Paso Mexican Restaurant in LA (Lower Alexandria, of course).

    8746 Cooper Road, Alexandria -- behind the McDonalds.


    ETA: About 6PM, not 5.
    Last edited by Tess; 10-12-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  11. #11
    Regular Member SAvage410's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Falls Church, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Just FYI, in an apparent effort to keep Mr. Jefferson from developing bed sores in his grave, it's widely reported that the caretakers of his home, Monticello, have decreed his home to be a mythical "gun free zone."

    TFred
    Sadly I can personally attest to that. I was sitting on a bench outside the visitor's center open carrying my handgun when I was approached by two security guards who informed me that guns were not allowed on the premises. I reluctantly stowed my firearm until we left. Had it not been the wife's long-delayed dream trip, we would simply have left altogether.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Had a wonderful time with JnE and his relative, Steeler-gal, and my family. It's always nice to meet visitors!

    A perfect example of people who can agree on much, disagree vehemently on others, and still enjoy each others' company!
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    358
    The dinner was outstanding. We both enjoyed meeting you, your family, and Steeler-gal. Tess, you made what would have been a stressful trip downright enjoyable. Knowing that you had our back allowed me to relax and enjoy the trip. Thank you.
    Last edited by JmE; 10-12-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    14
    Damn, if I would have seen this I would have gone. I'm at Belvoir literally 2 minutes from El Paso, lol

    Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by my95z34 View Post
    Damn, if I would have seen this I would have gone. I'm at Belvoir literally 2 minutes from El Paso, lol

    Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

    I'm perfectly willing to set up another OC dinner in a few weeks at El Paso. We love it because we're also only a couple of miles (along back roads) from the place, the food is good, and they're OC-friendly (or at least neutral).
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  16. #16
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    hey, i know you have done gone but this brings up a couple of questions

    first of if you do go into DC, can't you just do the federal rules to transport your gun. unloaded locked in your trunk (or safe), with the ammo seperate? i know that they arrested a soldier on this and his case was used to determine, that if you transported your firearm this was allowed.

    also is not Monticello a national park, which it was signed into law that all parks would go by local laws?
    i looked it up and found it was declared a "national historic site" but nothing that made it a national park, could it be a VA park, which would fall under VA laws for parks?
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  17. #17
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    Re: Any place to store our handguns in VA while visiting DC on Saturday?

    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    hey, i know you have done gone but this brings up a couple of questions

    first of if you do go into DC, can't you just do the federal rules to transport your gun. unloaded locked in your trunk (or safe), with the ammo seperate? i know that they arrested a soldier on this and his case was used to determine, that if you transported your firearm this was allowed.

    also is not Monticello a national park, which it was signed into law that all parks would go by local laws?
    i looked it up and found it was declared a "national historic site" but nothing that made it a national park, could it be a VA park, which would fall under VA laws for parks?
    I may be wrong but, as I recall it is privately owned.

    Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    hey, i know you have done gone but this brings up a couple of questions

    first of if you do go into DC, can't you just do the federal rules to transport your gun. unloaded locked in your trunk (or safe), with the ammo seperate? i know that they arrested a soldier on this and his case was used to determine, that if you transported your firearm this was allowed.

    also is not Monticello a national park, which it was signed into law that all parks would go by local laws?
    i looked it up and found it was declared a "national historic site" but nothing that made it a national park, could it be a VA park, which would fall under VA laws for parks?

    First, the Firearms Owners Protection Act protects transport through. If you are going to DC, you are not going through.

    Also, Monticello, like Mount Vernon, is privately owned.
    Last edited by Tess; 10-13-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  19. #19
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    First, the Firearms Owners Protection Act protects transport through. If you are going to DC, you are not going through.

    Also, Monticello, like Mount Vernon, is privately owned.
    i know what you mean TESS. that was what they arrested the Sargent for, because he stopped at the V.A. for a doctor appointment.
    but from what i understand is that it was thrown out of court and the courts decided that the DC laws only applied to residents. at least that is what i think happened

    i tried to look up the guy's name and the story, couldn't find it. i know it was written up in the VCDL alerts
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •