• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any place to store our handguns in VA while visiting DC on Saturday?

JmE

My relative has asked me to go with him to DC this weekend. We will leave Ohio on Friday, visit some places like Monticello, proceed on to DC for a couple of hours (Million Vet March), and then back out. We're planning on coming up Route 29 converging with I-66. Are there any target ranges, gun shops, or kind hearted people of the gun who would be willing to allow us to store a couple of handguns and magazines whilst we visit DC? We both have our Ohio CHLs.

We're open for suggestions and I'm planning on trying to reach someone by telephone at the VCDL tomorrow. Any help and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

TFred

My relative has asked me to go with him to DC this weekend. We will leave Ohio on Friday, visit some places like Monticello, proceed on to DC for a couple of hours (Million Vet March), and then back out. We're planning on coming up Route 29 converging with I-66. Are there any target ranges, gun shops, or kind hearted people of the gun who would be willing to allow us to store a couple of handguns and magazines whilst we visit DC? We both have our Ohio CHLs.

We're open for suggestions and I'm planning on trying to reach someone by telephone at the VCDL tomorrow. Any help and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Just FYI, in an apparent effort to keep Mr. Jefferson from developing bed sores in his grave, it's widely reported that the caretakers of his home, Monticello, have decreed his home to be a mythical "gun free zone."

TFred

Last edited:

JmE

Just FYI, in an apparent effort to keep Mr. Jefferson from developing bed sores in his grave, it's widely reported that the caretakers of his home, Monticello, have decreed his home to be a mythical "gun free zone."
I figured as much and had earlier wondered out loud to my relative if they hooked a fan up to the grave as to reap benefit of the RPMs. Thanks for the heads up.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
PM me. I live about 15 miles outside DC, very near the Mt Vernon estate. They could reside in my safe while you go.

Fallschirjmäger

For a nominal fee, almost any gun store should accept a firearm for "cleaning" and if such firearm isn't cleaned before the patron comes back I can't think of why they should be charged for it. When I worked in such a place, it wasn't unheard of for people to store their firearm in our safe under certain circumstances.

JmE

Thanks for all of the replies. I spoke with Tess earlier yesterday and we're squared away. We just settled down in Lexington for the night and will decide on Monticello or not later in the morning.

Lyndsy Simon

I have a safe that's solidly attached to my wife's vehicle. When we go to DC, we park in a Metrorail lot, and stow our firearms there.

I need to get a second one welded to the bed on my Jeep, but I can't settle on where to place it.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
VERY short notice, but we're meeting about 5 for dinner at El Paso Mexican Restaurant in LA (Lower Alexandria, of course).

8746 Cooper Road, Alexandria -- behind the McDonalds.

ETA: About 6PM, not 5.

Last edited:

SAvage410

TFred

Sadly I can personally attest to that. I was sitting on a bench outside the visitor's center open carrying my handgun when I was approached by two security guards who informed me that guns were not allowed on the premises. I reluctantly stowed my firearm until we left. Had it not been the wife's long-delayed dream trip, we would simply have left altogether.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Had a wonderful time with JnE and his relative, Steeler-gal, and my family. It's always nice to meet visitors!

A perfect example of people who can agree on much, disagree vehemently on others, and still enjoy each others' company!

JmE

The dinner was outstanding. We both enjoyed meeting you, your family, and Steeler-gal. Tess, you made what would have been a stressful trip downright enjoyable. Knowing that you had our back allowed me to relax and enjoy the trip. Thank you.

Last edited:

my95z34

Damn, if I would have seen this I would have gone. I'm at Belvoir literally 2 minutes from El Paso, lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Damn, if I would have seen this I would have gone. I'm at Belvoir literally 2 minutes from El Paso, lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

I'm perfectly willing to set up another OC dinner in a few weeks at El Paso. We love it because we're also only a couple of miles (along back roads) from the place, the food is good, and they're OC-friendly (or at least neutral).

papa bear

hey, i know you have done gone but this brings up a couple of questions

first of if you do go into DC, can't you just do the federal rules to transport your gun. unloaded locked in your trunk (or safe), with the ammo seperate? i know that they arrested a soldier on this and his case was used to determine, that if you transported your firearm this was allowed.

also is not Monticello a national park, which it was signed into law that all parks would go by local laws?
i looked it up and found it was declared a "national historic site" but nothing that made it a national park, could it be a VA park, which would fall under VA laws for parks?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member

first of if you do go into DC, can't you just do the federal rules to transport your gun. unloaded locked in your trunk (or safe), with the ammo seperate? i know that they arrested a soldier on this and his case was used to determine, that if you transported your firearm this was allowed.

also is not Monticello a national park, which it was signed into law that all parks would go by local laws?
i looked it up and found it was declared a "national historic site" but nothing that made it a national park, could it be a VA park, which would fall under VA laws for parks?

I may be wrong but, as I recall it is privately owned.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk

Tess

Founder's Club Member

First, the Firearms Owners Protection Act protects transport through. If you are going to DC, you are not going through.

Also, Monticello, like Mount Vernon, is privately owned.

Last edited:

papa bear

First, the Firearms Owners Protection Act protects transport through. If you are going to DC, you are not going through.

Also, Monticello, like Mount Vernon, is privately owned.

i know what you mean TESS. that was what they arrested the Sargent for, because he stopped at the V.A. for a doctor appointment.
but from what i understand is that it was thrown out of court and the courts decided that the DC laws only applied to residents. at least that is what i think happened

i tried to look up the guy's name and the story, couldn't find it. i know it was written up in the VCDL alerts