• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got my CPL so do I still have to be a resident for 90 days to purchase a pistol?

bebop4one

Hi guys so I've been researching this and can't seem to find an answer. I have been a resident of Washington State for about 2 1/2 months. I got my drivers license almost immediately when I first got here. I just recently got my CPL after a waiting period of 29 days. My question is do I need to be a resident for the full 90 days to purchase a handgun in this state if I have my DL and CPL? I already own several pistols so making someone wait 90 days seems illogical. Anyone familiar with the RCWs that can help a guy out?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've never heard of this requirement in any state, though I am admittedly not an expert in WA. Hunting licenses usually have a residency time for resident licenses, but that has nothing to do with purchasing handguns, of course.

509rifas

You have to be a resident to buy a pistol, I believe it is 60 days. I'd quote it, but I'm on a fone I can't easily look it up. I know its in the requirements on the CPL application.
If you have WA ID it should be fine. At gun shows they usually ask to see a WA ID to see if you are 18 and a WA resident, but don't always write it down.
If you're gonna buy at a gun store they'll know for sure.

MattinWA

I am pretty sure you are good to go with the cpl, no more waiting three days for pistols purchased in state.

Last edited:

amlevin

Having a Driver's License and CPL issued in WA State appears to fulfill the rule under GCA 68 that one "show an intent to reside in the state where you are present".

Here's some reading on the topic http://www.justice.gov/olc/2012/ATF90dayruleFINAL1-30-12.pdf

It's not complicated at all. Fill out forms, present D/L and CPL, wait for NICS approval, Pay your money, and leave with your new firearm.

Then all you have to worry about is finding ammo for it :)

bebop4one

Having a Driver's License and CPL issued in WA State appears to fulfill the rule under GCA 68 that one "show an intent to reside in the state where you are present".

Here's some reading on the topic http://www.justice.gov/olc/2012/ATF90dayruleFINAL1-30-12.pdf

It's not complicated at all. Fill out forms, present D/L and CPL, wait for NICS approval, Pay your money, and leave with your new firearm.

Then all you have to worry about is finding ammo for it :)

Awesome. I know that the application you fill out when purchasing a pistol here says something about being a resident for 90 days but good to know the CPL and DL take care of it.

Squeak

DO NOT listen to these guys! Just give me the money and I'll get the gun for you. I'll even let you decide what to buy.

sirpuma

The 90 Days to prove residency method on the state pistol transfer form is old data. Current law is 30 days. Once you've been here 30 days and you've made the effort to become a resident (have permanent address, DL and/or Voter Reg) then you're a resident and can purchase handgun and "other" firearms.

*ETA

http://access.wa.gov/topics/living/becomeresident

https://wei.sos.wa.gov/agency/osos/en/voters/Pages/residency_requirements.aspx

To register to vote in Washington State, you must be a resident of the state.

You must establish your voting residency address at least 30 days before Election Day. You may specify a mailing address that is different from your residential address.

*ETA

The following are a few examples of actions you can take to become a resident of Washington:

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The 90 Days to prove residency method on the state pistol transfer form is old data. Current law is 30 days...

You cited voting regulations; that does not necessarily apply outside of voting. As mentioned, hunting license (and college tuition) residency requirements are probably on a time-delay also.

Is there a citation that shows handgun purchases require the same time-delay?

I've been reading several of your forms on-line, but don't see it.

Last edited:

bebop4one

I spoke to a guy on the phone from West Coast Armory in Bellevue and he said I have to wait 90 days even though I have a CPL and DL. He said anything less does not establish residency even with those licenses. The guy also said that the 90 day wait was both a state and federal regulation. He sounded really unsure at first and went back and forth a few times with "no you don't" and then "oh yeah you gotta wait". That doesn't sound too reassuring to me. I'm inclined to believe you gentleman before I take his word for it.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I spoke to a guy on the phone from West Coast Armory in Bellevue and he said I have to wait 90 days even though I have a CPL and DL. He said anything less does not establish residency even with those licenses. The guy also said that the 90 day wait was both a state and federal regulation. He sounded really unsure at first and went back and forth a few times with "no you don't" and then "oh yeah you gotta wait". That doesn't sound too reassuring to me. I'm inclined to believe you gentleman before I take his word for it.

Gun store employees barely know the law. Trust me, I used to run a gun store.

You can buy a pistol with a WA ID and CPL.

Jeff Hayes

I used to keep a list in Word of all the stupid things gun shop employees/owners have told me over the years some of it was pretty funny and some of it was actually dangerous both legally and physically. Always verify for your self google is your friend.

Now down tot he good stuff whatcha buying????

jfslicer

I used to keep a list in Word of all the stupid things gun shop employees/owners have told me over the years some of it was pretty funny and some of it was actually dangerous both legally and physically. Always verify for your self google is your friend.

Would love to see this list if you didn't get rid of it. Start a new topic or PM it to me? :)

bebop4one

Ruger LCP. My Glock 23 is great in some situations but I need something smaller for when I'm wearing a suit at work. I know they aren't the most comfortable to shoot at the range but as it's for self defense I really don't mind.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...both a state and federal regulation...

Well now I know he is wrong because it is not a federal regulation. I'd never heard of it, and I used to work for an FFL selling guns in Nevada. I still can't believe it is a state regulation, and still waiting to see it in writing.

509rifas

Gun store employees barely know the law. Trust me, I used to run a gun store.

You can buy a pistol with a WA ID and CPL.

That's the truth, I've had one try to tell me that it's a federal offense to carry remanufactured HPs, and claimed his knowledge was based on what happened to his buddy.
I've found that a lot of gun store legal advice is based on urban legend. You know if you spray teflon on your bullets they go through bulletproof vests? That's why its a felony to spray cooking spray on your ammo.

Vitaeus

If you have a WA CPL you meet the requirement of (1)(a) to skip the waiting period, (a), (b), and (c) are or's as far as I read it.

RCW 9.41.090
Dealer deliveries regulated — Hold on delivery.

(1) In addition to the other requirements of this chapter, no dealer may deliver a pistol to the purchaser thereof until:

(a) The purchaser produces a valid concealed pistol license and the dealer has recorded the purchaser's name, license number, and issuing agency, such record to be made in triplicate and processed as provided in subsection (5) of this section. For purposes of this subsection (1)(a), a "valid concealed pistol license" does not include a temporary emergency license, and does not include any license issued before July 1, 1996, unless the issuing agency conducted a records search for disqualifying crimes under RCW 9.41.070 at the time of issuance;

(b) The dealer is notified in writing by the chief of police or the sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the purchaser resides that the purchaser is eligible to possess a pistol under RCW 9.41.040 and that the application to purchase is approved by the chief of police or sheriff; or

(c) Five business days, meaning days on which state offices are open, have elapsed from the time of receipt of the application for the purchase thereof as provided herein by the chief of police or sheriff designated in subsection (5) of this section, and, when delivered, the pistol shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded. However, if the purchaser does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the waiting period under this subsection (1)(c) shall be up to sixty days.

(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, in determining whether the purchaser meets the requirements of RCW 9.41.040, the chief of police or sheriff, or the designee of either, shall check with the national crime information center, the Washington state patrol electronic database, the department of social and health services electronic database, and with other agencies or resources as appropriate, to determine whether the applicant is ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm.

(b) Once the system is established, a dealer shall use the state system and national instant criminal background check system, provided for by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (18 U.S.C. Sec. 921 et seq.), to make criminal background checks of applicants to purchase firearms. However, a chief of police or sheriff, or a designee of either, shall continue to check the department of social and health services' electronic database and with other agencies or resources as appropriate, to determine whether applicants are ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm.

(3) In any case under subsection (1)(c) of this section where the applicant has an outstanding warrant for his or her arrest from any court of competent jurisdiction for a felony or misdemeanor, the dealer shall hold the delivery of the pistol until the warrant for arrest is served and satisfied by appropriate court appearance. The local jurisdiction for purposes of the sale shall confirm the existence of outstanding warrants within seventy-two hours after notification of the application to purchase a pistol is received. The local jurisdiction shall also immediately confirm the satisfaction of the warrant on request of the dealer so that the hold may be released if the warrant was for an offense other than an offense making a person ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a pistol.

(4) In any case where the chief or sheriff of the local jurisdiction has reasonable grounds based on the following circumstances: (a) Open criminal charges, (b) pending criminal proceedings, (c) pending commitment proceedings, (d) an outstanding warrant for an offense making a person ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a pistol, or (e) an arrest for an offense making a person ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a pistol, if the records of disposition have not yet been reported or entered sufficiently to determine eligibility to purchase a pistol, the local jurisdiction may hold the sale and delivery of the pistol beyond five days up to thirty days in order to confirm existing records in this state or elsewhere. After thirty days, the hold will be lifted unless an extension of the thirty days is approved by a local district court or municipal court for good cause shown. A dealer shall be notified of each hold placed on the sale by local law enforcement and of any application to the court for additional hold period to confirm records or confirm the identity of the applicant.

(5) At the time of applying for the purchase of a pistol, the purchaser shall sign in triplicate and deliver to the dealer an application containing his or her full name, residential address, date and place of birth, race, and gender; the date and hour of the application; the applicant's driver's license number or state identification card number; a description of the pistol including the make, model, caliber and manufacturer's number if available at the time of applying for the purchase of a pistol. If the manufacturer's number is not available, the application may be processed, but delivery of the pistol to the purchaser may not occur unless the manufacturer's number is recorded on the application by the dealer and transmitted to the chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser resides; and a statement that the purchaser is eligible to possess a pistol under RCW 9.41.040.

The application shall contain a warning substantially as follows:

CAUTION: Although state and local laws do not differ, federal law and state law on the possession of firearms differ. If you are prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm, you may be prosecuted in federal court. State permission to purchase a firearm is not a defense to a federal prosecution.

The purchaser shall be given a copy of the department of fish and wildlife pamphlet on the legal limits of the use of firearms, firearms safety, and the fact that local laws and ordinances on firearms are preempted by state law and must be consistent with state law.

The dealer shall, by the end of the business day, sign and attach his or her address and deliver a copy of the application and such other documentation as required under subsection (1) of this section to the chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county of which the purchaser is a resident. The triplicate shall be retained by the dealer for six years. The dealer shall deliver the pistol to the purchaser following the period of time specified in this section unless the dealer is notified of an investigative hold under subsection (4) of this section in writing by the chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county, whichever is applicable, denying the purchaser's application to purchase and the grounds thereof. The application shall not be denied unless the purchaser is not eligible to possess a pistol under RCW 9.41.040 or 9.41.045, or federal law.

The chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county shall retain or destroy applications to purchase a pistol in accordance with the requirements of 18 U.S.C. Sec. 922.

(6) A person who knowingly makes a false statement regarding identity or eligibility requirements on the application to purchase a pistol is guilty of false swearing under RCW 9A.72.040.

(7) This section does not apply to sales to licensed dealers for resale or to the sale of antique firearms.

[1996 c 295 § 8. Prior: 1994 sp.s. c 7 § 410; 1994 c 264 § 1; 1988 c 36 § 2; 1985 c 428 § 4; 1983 c 232 § 4; 1969 ex.s. c 227 § 1; 1961 c 124 § 7; 1935 c 172 § 9; RRS § 2516-9.]

Notes:
Finding -- Intent -- Severability -- 1994 sp.s. c 7: See notes following RCW 43.70.540.
Effective date -- 1994 sp.s. c 7 §§ 401-410, 413-416, 418-437, and 439-460: See note following RCW 9.41.010.

Severability -- 1985 c 428: See note following RCW 9.41.290.

Severability -- 1983 c 232: See note following RCW 9.41.010.