Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: WTF: Examiner.com

  1. #1
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184

    WTF: Examiner.com

    Given this sites past 'Leadership' related internal squabbles, I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that your current 'Boss' is "Examiner.com".


    I can understand the need to cover ones costs BUT when the advertisement/poor HTML gets to the point of utter distraction --or, even worse; in the case of said Examiner.com-- that flusters my 20+ Mbps Internet speed and 4.6 Ghz i7...

    Teh Fug?

  2. #2
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    I'm usually pretty good at deciphering posts but this one has me baffled. Anybody have the secret decoder ring for this one? Hello?
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Davis County, Utah
    Posts
    528

    Re: WTF: Examiner.com

    Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    I'm usually pretty good at deciphering posts but this one has me baffled. Anybody have the secret decoder ring for this one? Hello?
    Sorry, no decoder ring here. Got a balsa wood plane in my last box of Cracker Jacks.

    However, I'll give it a shot.

    Methinks OP is alleging that a particular site is poorly coded and has too many advertisements, thereby causing his internet connection (as well as the video on their high-end computer) to slow considerably when they visit said site.
    Last edited by b0neZ; 10-11-2013 at 09:51 AM.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    op got a bad link and his tummy (or his head) hurts.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699
    I don't get people complaining about this lately. I'm on 3g/4g tethering, and the website load's just fine.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    That's funny, I have the slowest, cheapest internet speed available (3.45mbs) from my provider and things pop right up for me.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by b0neZ View Post
    Methinks OP is alleging that a particular site is poorly coded and has too many advertisements, thereby causing his internet connection (as well as the video on their high-end computer) to slow considerably when they visit said site.
    ^That.

    ...as well as the fact that all but two of the "stickies" were from the "examiner" --in News & Political Alerts of all places!

    Seems to be a rather one sided approach and quite 'self' promoting. So, while I know that *that* is the nature of business, our RIGHTS are NOT a business -- At least they shouldn't be.

    Bottom line: in News & Political Alerts, what the admins [owners and henchmen] choose to "sticky" is very telling and we should have better representation than mere backslapping and high-fives.

    Sticky better?

  8. #8
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184
    PS:

    Tried again... the amount of ads is too damn high!
    Last edited by Turbod'1; 10-15-2013 at 12:15 AM.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbod'1 View Post
    Given this sites past 'Leadership' related internal squabbles, I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that your current 'Boss' is "Examiner.com".


    I can understand the need to cover ones costs BUT when the advertisement/poor HTML gets to the point of utter distraction --or, even worse; in the case of said Examiner.com-- that flusters my 20+ Mbps Internet speed and 4.6 Ghz i7...

    Teh Fug?
    I know of no leadership internal squabbles and find it misleading that you would allege that there were.

    Of the 2 site owners, both of whom are attorneys, one operates as the Administrator, the other as Super Moderator. Though their business arrangement and terms thereof is not a matter of public knowledge, they compliment each other and function quite well in the management of OCDO, which is private property and the rest of us are guests. What that means is that they can post whatever they want pretty much - still they stick to related/on topic material.

    If anyone is having particular problems with the site, they should look first to their server and then to the health of their PC - many things beyond the obvious viruses can bog a system down. Spyware and fragmentation are common drags on speed. I have ten (10) different clean-up programs, run several each night and will have run them all a couple of times by the end of each week. That doesn't guarantee peak performance, but it goes a long, long way down that road.

    Heat can also be a killer - keep the internals clean and the fans working efficiently. I've actually considered a mini duct from my A/C unit to discharge at the back of my case. I'm very reluctant to consider a liquid cooler - concerns about that one catastrophic leak.

    Bottom line - eliminate all other possibilities first......if that doesn't work buy/build a bigger, faster PC and maker your supplier happy too.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I know of no leadership internal squabbles and find it misleading that you would allege that there were.

    Of the 2 site owners, both of whom are attorneys, one operates as the Administrator, the other as Super Moderator. Though their business arrangement and terms thereof is not a matter of public knowledge, they compliment each other and function quite well in the management of OCDO, which is private property and the rest of us are guests. What that means is that they can post whatever they want pretty much - still they stick to related/on topic material.

    If anyone is having particular problems with the site, they should look first to their server and then to the health of their PC - many things beyond the obvious viruses can bog a system down. Spyware and fragmentation are common drags on speed. I have ten (10) different clean-up programs, run several each night and will have run them all a couple of times by the end of each week. That doesn't guarantee peak performance, but it goes a long, long way down that road.

    Heat can also be a killer - keep the internals clean and the fans working efficiently. I've actually considered a mini duct from my A/C unit to discharge at the back of my case. I'm very reluctant to consider a liquid cooler - concerns about that one catastrophic leak.

    Bottom line - eliminate all other possibilities first......if that doesn't work buy/build a bigger, faster PC and maker your supplier happy too.
    Bed time for me so I'll take the latter point as it's easy: I have a custom built $Bazillion computer and I'm pretty darn familiar with computers [hand picked components; no, I have no skill in assembling them myself] and various OS's. Viruses, Spyware, Malware nor fragmentation of my drives are an issue.

    That said, isn't it funny that people on this site revolt against what is bold-ed above (Say... Starbuck, for instance) and yet take it and --the spoon-fed-- "examiner" in stride?

  11. #11
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbod'1 View Post
    Bed time for me so I'll take the latter point as it's easy: I have a custom built $Bazillion computer and I'm pretty darn familiar with computers [hand picked components; no, I have no skill in assembling them myself] and various OS's. Viruses, Spyware, Malware nor fragmentation of my drives are an issue.

    That said, isn't it funny that people on this site revolt against what is bold-ed above (Say... Starbuck, for instance) and yet take it and --the spoon-fed-- "examiner" in stride?
    I'll take the easy one first too.

    I have no idea what others may take "in stride" - maybe they recognize that it is the site owners who set the rules and the tone and/or they see little to be gained by insulting or slighting one of them.

    While I do not generally take exception with what most Examiners say (they have the priviledge of speaking their mind), I read with an open mind and make my own decisions. That is the benefit inherent in a forum like OCDO.

    At best it seems strange that few (none?) are having a similar problem to yours.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-15-2013 at 02:04 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361
    My connection speed is 3 mbs and I'm not having any issues with the site. I did however change to Chrome as XP you can only upgrade to IE8 which is a bit obsolete and S-L-O-W these days.

  13. #13
    Regular Member NoTolerance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbod'1 View Post
    I have a custom built $Bazillion computer and I'm pretty darn familiar with computers [hand picked components; no, I have no skill in assembling them myself] and various OS's.
    All that knowledge and you can't find a simple ad-blocker?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •