• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Pentagon City Fashion Centre (Arlington VA) Mall for OC

cirrusly

Was in the Apple Store with my girlfriend purchasing an iPad when a security guard stepped between me and the Apple sales rep and said "Sir are you an officer of the law?!

Me: No, is there a problem ?
Security: You can't carry a weapon in here.
Me: Oh, I didn't see a sign at the entrance.
Security: A security officer is the same as a sign saying no weapons. We have to ask you to leave.
Me: Ok, can I finish my purchase?
Security: Yes.

I conclude the purchase of the iPad. Meanwhile he summons an Arlington PD officer, and the security guard ushers other customers away from my vicinity. (Like I'm some dangerous varmint or criminal!) We conclude the sale and I step out of the store, into the mall area with the officer.

The officer was very polite, never asked for an ID, or any information. I walk down the escalators and to the street level with him, and my girlfriend. Enroute we had casual conversation and he reiterated I am fully within my right, that he carries off-duty, his father used to OC, but that because it's private property they can prohibit it. He bids me a good evening, I shake his hand, and I depart the mall.

Over-reaction of mall security, especially considering I am a paying customer, but very well-handled by Arlington PD.

The mall is: http://m.simon.com/default.aspx?id=157

cirrusly

why you shook his hand?

Although the mall security was unreasonable and highly unprofessional, the Arlington PD was quite polite, and understanding of my right to carry. He was very respectful towards me, and I wanted him to know the respect was mutual.

Last edited:

Maverick9

So you're a danger to everyone, but they'll hold their breath so you can buy the product? Why not ask to see the Mall security guy's boss? Make them jump through some hoops. In fact, why not call the Mall security office and followup on his unprofessional approach.

Sounds like a hysterical Apple customer called them on you.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I conclude the purchase of the iPad...

The biggest advocate we could have had was the Apple store complaining about their security policy because it cost them a sale. I understand you may have needed that one right then; I'm just sayin'...

Last edited:

cirrusly

So you're a danger to everyone, but they'll hold their breath so you can buy the product? Why not ask to see the Mall security guy's boss? Make them jump through some hoops. In fact, why not call the Mall security office and followup on his unprofessional approach.

Sounds like a hysterical Apple customer called them on you.

Good idea. I will call the Simons mall security office on Monday and ask to speak with the security supervisor. First I'm going to look through the Simons mall code of conduct and see if there is anything about firearms stated.

cirrusly

The biggest advocate we could have had was the Apple store complaining about their security policy because it cost them a sale. I understand you may have needed that one right then; I'm just sayin'...

I could still return the iPad and say due to my personal beliefs I will take my purchase to an Apple store where they do not prohibit law abiding citizens carrying sidearms.

On that note, the Apple store phone number is: (703) 236-1550. For those of you who feel inclined, please feel free to reiterate our discontent with the situation. I think if they get enough calls they may communicate the discontent with the mall security. If you do choose to call, please remember: Arlington PD acted professionally, it was the security causing the scene.

Last edited:

2a4all

I could still return the iPad and say due to my personal beliefs I will take my purchase to an Apple store where they do not prohibit law abiding citizens carrying sidearms.

On that note, the Apple store phone number is: (703) 236-1550. For those of you who feel inclined, please feel free to reiterate our discontent with the situation. I think if they get enough calls they may communicate the discontent with the mall security. If you do choose to call, please remember: Arlington PD acted professionally, it was the security causing the scene.
You could try Circuit City. We bought an iPad there a few years ago (I know, it's obsolete now, but I'm older too.) CCity is OC friendly.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Was in the Apple Store with my girlfriend purchasing an iPad when a security guard stepped between me and the Apple sales rep and said "Sir are you an officer of the law?!

Me: No, is there a problem ?
Security: You can't carry a weapon in here.
Me: Oh, I didn't see a sign at the entrance.
Security: A security officer is the same as a sign saying no weapons. We have to ask you to leave.
Me: Ok, can I finish my purchase?
Security: Yes.

I conclude the purchase of the iPad. Meanwhile he summons an Arlington PD officer, and the security guard ushers other customers away from my vicinity. (Like I'm some dangerous varmint or criminal!) We conclude the sale and I step out of the store, into the mall area with the officer.

The officer was very polite, never asked for an ID, or any information. I walk down the escalators and to the street level with him, and my girlfriend. Enroute we had casual conversation and he reiterated I am fully within my right, that he carries off-duty, his father used to OC, but that because it's private property they can prohibit it. He bids me a good evening, I shake his hand, and I depart the mall.

Over-reaction of mall security, especially considering I am a paying customer, but very well-handled by Arlington PD.

The mall is: http://m.simon.com/default.aspx?id=157

For all readers,

Don't mention signs. If you mention signs, it just gives them a reminder to post signs. Then, even the CC crowd won't be able to carry.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I thought all Simon Malls were anti?

I've OC'd at Pentagon City mall, but I suspect the issue was more condition White than a tacit acknowledgement I was right.

cirrusly

I thought all Simon Malls were anti?

I've OC'd at Pentagon City mall, but I suspect the issue was more condition White than a tacit acknowledgement I was right.

All Simons malls are no weapons? I'm glad they don't post signs. Doesn't mitigate the fact they deprive us of human rights though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

HPmatt

All Simons malls are no weapons?

I guess Simon owned the Mall in Nairobi? Would expect the same results unless there are patrons that prefer to ignore company policy to protect themselves and their family.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
All Simons malls are no weapons? I'm glad they don't post signs. Doesn't mitigate the fact they deprive us of human rights though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

If you enter Pentagon City Mall (and I suspect, all Simon-owned malls), there is a sign on the mall entrance door that lists, in very small print, a "Code of Conduct." Way down on the list is a prohibition regarding weapons. If you enter through, say, Macy's, there is no signage.

TFred

You could try Circuit City. We bought an iPad there a few years ago (I know, it's obsolete now, but I'm older too.) CCity is OC friendly.

I thought all Circuit City stores closed 3 years ago???

Aren't they H.H Greg's stores now?
Circuit City is gone, gone and gone.

Filed for bankruptcy in 2009, sold off the name and website, which was running for a while by a different company, then finally merged with TigerDirect, and closed.

Nothing but a memory now.

TFred

ETA: Oh, as for HH Gregg, I think they just came along and scooped up many of the former CC buildings in the fire sale.

Last edited:

Red Dawg

Seems to me, reading, that the Apple store didn't have the problem, the security guy did. The Apple guy could have told the OP if he/she didn't allow guns in the store....Also Apple guy could have said it was private property and bugger off...And screw the Mall Ninja...