• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DISHONEST firearms training company!

TFred

We need to get the word out on these dishonest folks.

Started seeing Facebook ads for a "one class, one permit, valid in over 35+ states" training class, to be held in Fredericksburg, Virginia in December. Checking out their website revealed that MOST of their training events are in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

One small (I kid... very LARGE) problem: Utah no longer offers permits to out-of-state residents unless they have a local permit first!

Obviously for DC, or other states that do not offer permits, this is not required. But equally obviously, both Virginia and Pennsylvania DO offer permits, so the citizens of these states would be unable to obtain "one permit" (from Utah) that is good for "over 35+" states.

I left a comment reminding them of this on their FB ad, which was DELETED.

Now I'm mad. It's one thing to lie to your potential customers, but another thing to be called on it, and KEEP lying.

The company is MMTA Firearms Training Academy.

Here is their page on the permit training, which incorrectly states that ONE permit is good for Virginia and 35+ states.

We don't need such dishonest folks in the community.

TFred

MattinWA

Misleading information they provide. The class only satisfys the training requirement. Getting the permit is up to the individual.

Im glad I live in a state with no training requirements, sounds like a hassel, waist of time and money.

JustaShooter

Where did you see that this gets you a Utah permit? From one of the pages of their website, near the bottom, in fine print, it says
CCW Qualification: All classes permit you to make application for a Virginia Resident or Non-Resident Concealed Handgun Permit, and all courses qualify for Washington, DC Citizen Firearms Training.

Perhaps a bigger problem is they say
Course Locations: Other than the city and state noted, in an effort to protect our clients, specific course locations are not disclosed until your registration is confirmed and payment received online.
Yeah, right - because so many firearms classes have been targeted and the locations need to be protected. I don't sign up for any class, firearms related or otherwise, unless I know exactly where it is held and who is teaching it, etc.

Edited to add:

OK found it on another page:
• This is a 4-hour, all classroom-based Concealed Carry Permit Certification Course that allows any resident, of any state, eligiblity to apply for a Non-Resident Utah Concealed Firearm Permit that is valid in over 35+ states.
So if what you say about Utah requiring a permit from your state to issue a non-resident permit then yeah, this is dishonest and needs to be stopped.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...One small (I kid... very LARGE) problem: Utah no longer offers permits to out-of-state residents unless they have a local permit first!
Presumably, this does not affect the issue you are having, but this statement is not accurate.

UT requires you have your home state permit first only if your home state recognizes the UT permit. For example, a CA or NV resident is not required to get the CA or NV permit before getting a UT permit. But a TX resident is.

So, as you say, this affects VA and PA, but it does not affect a MD resident, even though there is a slight possibility of some people getting a may-issue permit in MD.

However, there is more misleading info from them. Unless you are a UT resident, your UT permit is only good in 31 states, not 35.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm thinking of knitting a new camo vest for rifle season.

Does anyone know if a pearl type of stitch will hold up under recoil?

images

smiley-laughing021.gif

smiley-laughing021.gif

smiley-laughing021.gif

Last edited:

TFred

So, as you say, this affects VA and PA, but it does not affect a MD resident, even though there is a slight possibility of some people getting a may-issue permit in MD.

However, there is more misleading info from them. Unless you are a UT resident, your UT permit is only good in 31 states, not 35.
Yes, and they are clearly targeting Virginia residents for their services.

The information clearly states that they provide EVERYTHING needed to apply for the Utah permit. This is absolutely not true for Virginia and Pennsylvania residents.

TFred

TFred

Even better...

The company has re-configured their Facebook ad to remove the comments option. I guess they can't have folks exposing their little lies.

Perhaps a phone call to the Utah officials is in order.

TFred

KBCraig

Even better...

The company has re-configured their Facebook ad to remove the comments option. I guess they can't have folks exposing their little lies.

TFred

Flagging them as fraudulent advertisers to Facebook is in order.

nousdefions794

I hope the get their act together. This type of stuff makes us all look bad. I hope that they address the issues and read this forum.

Maverick9

Even better...

TFred

I found their FB page and to my view, comments are not disabled. You can 'Review' them and you can 'report' their page. But they have 4k likes, and people are liking them and saying their training is helping. It's a shame if they're scamming, but I don't know if it rises to the level where giving a low review is meaningful and nothing about their page (itself) rises to the level of reportable to FB.

I think the word will get around though.