• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry While Riding Motorcycle ?

BLKH2O

Just curious, when riding my motorcycle, I mostly conceal carry. Have wanted to open carry if anything, just for the experience, but have wondered what the reaction would be from law enforcement upon observation. Have any of you opened carried while riding their bikes. I usually carry one of my Glocks and its always holstered in a Blackhawk Serpa, less chance of losing it while riding down the road. Thanks for any input regarding this.

Q-Tip

I've OCed some on a bike. No strange looks or anything that I noticed. I try not to pass cops, so they rarely see my right side :lol:. And really, I try not to site beside people longer that I have to anyway. I can't get rear-ended if I'm going faster than everybody else.

BLKH2O

Didn't work out so well for this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXwW2nrV0bY

This was an interesting video and applaud the "victim" for sticking up for what he believed in. After much thought, I think that I would have let the deputy know ahead of time of my carry option and HCP. I've watched a lot of you tube videos of open carry detainment by law enforcement. A cop can definitely ruin a good days ride if you choose to challenge his authority, then again, depending on the mood of the officer at the moment, your day could still be ruined. Being a lefty and mostly riding in the slow lanes, my gun would be exposed 90% of the time. Think I'll just keep it concealed for the time being, after all, winters coming to the mountains soon.

Kopis

I think the difference in the video and TN is that you are required to have a permit in TN so it's very clear if you are in violation of the law or not. Im not sure TN is a "must inform" state but you are required to produce a permit at the behest of an LEO. I too am impressed at the way the gentleman in the video handled the situation althought a simple "yes officer, i am openly carrying my firearm in accordance with state law" would have been a better choice of words than "i do not consent to any search" when he was asked if he had a weapon.

It's interesting to me the cop compares his job to being a soldier after learning the man he has stopped is a two tour vet. I think these two jobs are in no way remotely related. An officer is supposed to serve and protect citizens whereas a soldier is actively engaging known hostiles. It's pretty obvious the guy is just touring the state on a bike. He seemed very well spoken. WHen the officer kept talking about "his" safety, i think i wouldve pointed out the thousands of men who have sacrificed their lives for the very right the officer is mad about.