Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I was invited to speak at a highscool about guns, carry, gun laws, and the 2a.

So I was invited to speak at a highscool about guns, carry, gun laws, and the 2a.

So I've been invited to speak at my sisters high school about Concealed carry (I'll be sure to talk about open to), the application process, guns, gun laws, and 2A issues in general.

Apparently while in her forensics class (yes apparently that is a high school course now) the topic of guns, and carry laws came up, and when she mentioned I was an instructor I was invited to come, and talk about it all.

It's nice that there actually is a school that hasn't been completely subverted, and is still actually about education, and not just blindly regurgitating anti gun propaganda.

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    So I've been invited to speak at my sisters high school about Concealed carry (I'll be sure to talk about open to), the application process, guns, gun laws, and 2A issues in general.

Apparently while in her forensics class (yes apparently that is a high school course now) the topic of guns, and carry laws came up, and when she mentioned I was an instructor I was invited to come, and talk about it all.

It's nice that there actually is a school that hasn't been completely subverted, and is still actually about education, and not just blindly regurgitating anti gun propaganda.

Suggestions?
    no suggestion, a question, Are you going to OC for the talk?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Banned
    Wear pants !

Wow, what an honor. Very refreshing to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    no suggestion, a question, Are you going to OC for the talk?
    Thought about it, was requested not to, for an opportunity to speak I'll aqueous to their request, but I will make it clear in my presentation that there is nothing legally stopping me from it, and it is indeed possible, and ordinarily what I would be doing.

Question: is the foresnics class about figuring stuff out in the lab or is it what used to be called the debate club? Confusion here could result in serious egg on at least two faces. (I've got a sawbuck on it being the debate club.)

Suggestions:

why hoplophobia is crazy
    why is it OK for cops to OC but not for LACs? (tie in w/ the next 2 topic suggestions)
    stats on "bad" shootings by CCW/CPL/CHP holders vs police, also vs general population (we are the least likely to shoot anybody)
    the fallacy of "to serve and protect" - use all 5 SCOTUS cases to drive the point home. read the juicy parts out loud. point them to the NRA's website of self defense stories
    why NICS and other TV shows are bad for real forensics
    the origin and history of ccw laws as racial discrimination
    the history of Heller and MacDonald
    infringing 2A vs infringing 1A - why the difference(s)?

As you can see, I'm avoiding the CCW application process and personal firearms training, and going for how gun laws effect the students right now and how gun laws will effect them when they become adults (as in limitation of rights, personal responsibility and liability). They may all be interested in learning how to get a CCW/CPL/CHP, how soon they can buy their own gun, and stuff like that. I'm betting the school is going to be a bit touchy about that- even if the teacher says that's what everybody wants to hear about. Respond with how they need to become the next generation in the fight to keep the right to keep and bear arms and how that right is being attacked. (A clue - that's your segue into OC both as education and advocacy.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Thought about it, was requested not to, for an opportunity to speak I'll aqueous to their request, but I will make it clear in my presentation that there is nothing legally stopping me from it, and it is indeed possible, and ordinarily what I would be doing.
    Is concealing legal at the school?

It might get kind of hot halfway through your presentation. You might need to take your coat off.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Is concealing legal at the school?

It might get kind of hot halfway through your presentation. You might need to take your coat off.
    nope, not in Michigan not even with permission
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Question: is the foresnics class about figuring stuff out in the lab or is it what used to be called the debate club? Confusion here could result in serious egg on at least two faces. (I've got a sawbuck on it being the debate club.)

Suggestions:

why hoplophobia is crazy
    why is it OK for cops to OC but not for LACs? (tie in w/ the next 2 topic suggestions)
    stats on "bad" shootings by CCW/CPL/CHP holders vs police, also vs general population (we are the least likely to shoot anybody)
    the fallacy of "to serve and protect" - use all 5 SCOTUS cases to drive the point home. read the juicy parts out loud. point them to the NRA's website of self defense stories

As you can see, I'm avoiding the CCW application process and personal firearms training, and going for how gun laws effect the students right now and how gun laws will effect them when they become adults (as in limitation of rights, personal responsibility and liability). They may all be interested in learning how to get a CCW/CPL/CHP, how soon they can buy their own gun, and stuff like that. I'm betting the school is going to be a bit touchy about that- even if the teacher says that's what everybody wants to hear about. Respond with how they need to become the next generation in the fight to keep the right to keep and bear arms and how that right is being attacked. (A clue - that's your segue into OC both as education and advocacy.)

stay safe.
    It's the lab kind.

Quote Originally Posted by 22Luke36 View Post
    Any chance that you can get this to spread to other school districts?
    Don't know, but I'll try.

An empty holster is a silent and peaceful way to protest.
    You read my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    nope, not in Michigan not even with permission
    Bummer.

Hmmm...

Would it be illegal to conceal a training "blue gun?"
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

...Why would you want to do such a thing?
    I'm just thinking out loud. You take your coat off halfway through and there's a concealed training non-gun. Point can be made that a concealed firearm is easy to take anywhere, including where not allowed, and is the only method used by those who are intent on evil. What safety is there in a law that makes it illegal? What idiot would have a problem with someone who openly carries?

It's a direct visual impact.

So I was invited to speak at a highscool about guns, carry, gun laws, and the...

Ill buy that to.. When my mother worked at the high school they had a kid walk into the room baggy pants sweatshirt and asked him to undo his weapons he pulled 4 handguns off his person with a sawed off shot gun out of his pants (no wonder the limp) and bunch of empty mags to show how someone could so easily (even a student who could never do wrong) to cause so much harm.. I agree

Make the poin with the training gun run it by the office just in case.

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Negative on the clearance request. Easier to ask forgiveness, than permission. ;-)
    Agreed. This is why he isn't going to OC. He asked first, and they said no. They can't stop him from OC, but they can tell him he's no longer an invited speaker. Now if the class was assembled for an invited speaker who showed up OC, what would they do, cancel the lecture? Probably not.

So I was invited to speak at a highscool about guns, carry, gun laws, and the...

I would make it clear that it's a prop to help demonstrate your point and teaching

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

you could take a page from Dr. Who and put a banana in your holster

SKID i agree, Hopolophobia is crazy, but eleuthrophobia is just evil
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

You have been given a great opportunity to possibly undo some of the media brainwashing that has been going on. I suggest you just give your speech be clear and polite to the questions. Avoid calling antis names like Sheep or anything like that. Win over their minds with a well thought out discussion about the truth about CPLs and responsible gun ownership. Do a good job and it could open doors to other classes or maybe even other schools. I wish you well.
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

It's the lab kind.
    Give me an address to send the $10. Or tell me to send the $10 to the legal defense fund for Scouser http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...lowing-the-law .

Either way, color me very pleasantly surprised they are covering forensic science in high school.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Suggestions:

why hoplophobia is crazy

stay safe.
    My daughter, two years ago has the science forensic class in HS. Labs, look at evidence, solve crimes. So the times, they are a changing.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Give me an address to send the $10. Or tell me to send the $10 to the legal defense fund for Scouser http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...lowing-the-law .

Either way, color me very pleasantly surprised they are covering forensic science in high school.

stay safe.
    My daughter has it in 6th grade. Many high schools have it in Michigan, usually as an elective but sometimes as a core science course.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 10-14-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

To those discussing bringing a 'blue gun'...

Firearms are preempted, but gun 'facsimiles' 'replicas' 'lookalikes' can be, and in many localities are, regulated by local ordinance. Please be careful.

Banned
    Just saw a typo on thread title ..... its highskool not highscool.

When do we get to hear how it went? Did the banana gun go off?

Wish you luck, clear thoughts, and steady voice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast