• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I was invited to speak at a highscool about guns, carry, gun laws, and the 2a.

Small_Arms_Collector

So I've been invited to speak at my sisters high school about Concealed carry (I'll be sure to talk about open to), the application process, guns, gun laws, and 2A issues in general.:D:dude:

Apparently while in her forensics class (yes apparently that is a high school course now) the topic of guns, and carry laws came up, and when she mentioned I was an instructor I was invited to come, and talk about it all.

It's nice that there actually is a school that hasn't been completely subverted, and is still actually about education, and not just blindly regurgitating anti gun propaganda.:D:cool:

Suggestions?

Raggs

So I've been invited to speak at my sisters high school about Concealed carry (I'll be sure to talk about open to), the application process, guns, gun laws, and 2A issues in general.:D:dude:

Apparently while in her forensics class (yes apparently that is a high school course now) the topic of guns, and carry laws came up, and when she mentioned I was an instructor I was invited to come, and talk about it all.

It's nice that there actually is a school that hasn't been completely subverted, and is still actually about education, and not just blindly regurgitating anti gun propaganda.:D:cool:

Suggestions?

no suggestion, a question, Are you going to OC for the talk?

Small_Arms_Collector

no suggestion, a question, Are you going to OC for the talk?

Thought about it, was requested not to, for an opportunity to speak I'll aqueous to their request, but I will make it clear in my presentation that there is nothing legally stopping me from it, and it is indeed possible, and ordinarily what I would be doing.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Question: is the foresnics class about figuring stuff out in the lab or is it what used to be called the debate club? Confusion here could result in serious egg on at least two faces. (I've got a sawbuck on it being the debate club.)

Suggestions:

why hoplophobia is crazy
why is it OK for cops to OC but not for LACs? (tie in w/ the next 2 topic suggestions)
stats on "bad" shootings by CCW/CPL/CHP holders vs police, also vs general population (we are the least likely to shoot anybody)
the fallacy of "to serve and protect" - use all 5 SCOTUS cases to drive the point home. read the juicy parts out loud. point them to the NRA's website of self defense stories
why NICS and other TV shows are bad for real forensics
the origin and history of ccw laws as racial discrimination
the history of Heller and MacDonald
infringing 2A vs infringing 1A - why the difference(s)?

As you can see, I'm avoiding the CCW application process and personal firearms training, and going for how gun laws effect the students right now and how gun laws will effect them when they become adults (as in limitation of rights, personal responsibility and liability). They may all be interested in learning how to get a CCW/CPL/CHP, how soon they can buy their own gun, and stuff like that. I'm betting the school is going to be a bit touchy about that- even if the teacher says that's what everybody wants to hear about. Respond with how they need to become the next generation in the fight to keep the right to keep and bear arms and how that right is being attacked. (A clue - that's your segue into OC both as education and advocacy.)

stay safe.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thought about it, was requested not to, for an opportunity to speak I'll aqueous to their request, but I will make it clear in my presentation that there is nothing legally stopping me from it, and it is indeed possible, and ordinarily what I would be doing.

Is concealing legal at the school?

It might get kind of hot halfway through your presentation. You might need to take your coat off.

Small_Arms_Collector

Question: is the foresnics class about figuring stuff out in the lab or is it what used to be called the debate club? Confusion here could result in serious egg on at least two faces. (I've got a sawbuck on it being the debate club.)

Suggestions:

why hoplophobia is crazy
why is it OK for cops to OC but not for LACs? (tie in w/ the next 2 topic suggestions)
stats on "bad" shootings by CCW/CPL/CHP holders vs police, also vs general population (we are the least likely to shoot anybody)
the fallacy of "to serve and protect" - use all 5 SCOTUS cases to drive the point home. read the juicy parts out loud. point them to the NRA's website of self defense stories
why NICS and other TV shows are bad for real forensics
the origin and history of ccw laws as racial discrimination
the history of Heller and MacDonald
infringing 2A vs infringing 1A - why the difference(s)?

As you can see, I'm avoiding the CCW application process and personal firearms training, and going for how gun laws effect the students right now and how gun laws will effect them when they become adults (as in limitation of rights, personal responsibility and liability). They may all be interested in learning how to get a CCW/CPL/CHP, how soon they can buy their own gun, and stuff like that. I'm betting the school is going to be a bit touchy about that- even if the teacher says that's what everybody wants to hear about. Respond with how they need to become the next generation in the fight to keep the right to keep and bear arms and how that right is being attacked. (A clue - that's your segue into OC both as education and advocacy.)

stay safe.

It's the lab kind.

22Luke36

An empty holster is a silent and peaceful way to protest.

22Luke36

Bummer.

Hmmm...

Would it be illegal to conceal a training "blue gun?"

Not unless you were to brandish it. If the person on the receiving end thought it was real, I could see a really solid felonious assault case here.

Why would you want to do such a thing?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Why would you want to do such a thing?

I'm just thinking out loud. You take your coat off halfway through and there's a concealed training non-gun. Point can be made that a concealed firearm is easy to take anywhere, including where not allowed, and is the only method used by those who are intent on evil. What safety is there in a law that makes it illegal? What idiot would have a problem with someone who openly carries?

It's a direct visual impact.

22Luke36

Your heart is in the right place.

I'm just thinking out loud. You take your coat off halfway through and there's a concealed training non-gun. Point can be made that a concealed firearm is easy to take anywhere, including where not allowed, and is the only method used by those who are intent on evil. What safety is there in a law that makes it illegal? What idiot would have a problem with someone who openly carries?

It's a direct visual impact.

Ok I'll buy that.

Mattimusmaximus

So I was invited to speak at a highscool about guns, carry, gun laws, and the...

Ill buy that to.. When my mother worked at the high school they had a kid walk into the room baggy pants sweatshirt and asked him to undo his weapons he pulled 4 handguns off his person with a sawed off shot gun out of his pants (no wonder the limp) and bunch of empty mags to show how someone could so easily (even a student who could never do wrong) to cause so much harm.. I agree

Make the poin with the training gun run it by the office just in case.

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-