• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I was invited to speak at a highscool about guns, carry, gun laws, and the 2a.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Negative on the clearance request. Easier to ask forgiveness, than permission. ;-)

Agreed. This is why he isn't going to OC. He asked first, and they said no. They can't stop him from OC, but they can tell him he's no longer an invited speaker. Now if the class was assembled for an invited speaker who showed up OC, what would they do, cancel the lecture? Probably not.

Mattimusmaximus

So I was invited to speak at a highscool about guns, carry, gun laws, and the...

I would make it clear that it's a prop to help demonstrate your point and teaching

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

papa bear

you could take a page from Dr. Who and put a banana in your holster

SKID i agree, Hopolophobia is crazy, but eleuthrophobia is just evil

Raggs

You have been given a great opportunity to possibly undo some of the media brainwashing that has been going on. I suggest you just give your speech be clear and polite to the questions. Avoid calling antis names like Sheep or anything like that. Win over their minds with a well thought out discussion about the truth about CPLs and responsible gun ownership. Do a good job and it could open doors to other classes or maybe even other schools. I wish you well.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Question: is the foresnics class about figuring stuff out in the lab or is it what used to be called the debate club? Confusion here could result in serious egg on at least two faces. (I've got a sawbuck on it being the debate club.)

Suggestions:

why hoplophobia is crazy
why is it OK for cops to OC but not for LACs? (tie in w/ the next 2 topic suggestions)
stats on "bad" shootings by CCW/CPL/CHP holders vs police, also vs general population (we are the least likely to shoot anybody)
the fallacy of "to serve and protect" - use all 5 SCOTUS cases to drive the point home. read the juicy parts out loud. point them to the NRA's website of self defense stories
why NICS and other TV shows are bad for real forensics
the origin and history of ccw laws as racial discrimination
the history of Heller and MacDonald
infringing 2A vs infringing 1A - why the difference(s)?

As you can see, I'm avoiding the CCW application process and personal firearms training, and going for how gun laws effect the students right now and how gun laws will effect them when they become adults (as in limitation of rights, personal responsibility and liability). They may all be interested in learning how to get a CCW/CPL/CHP, how soon they can buy their own gun, and stuff like that. I'm betting the school is going to be a bit touchy about that- even if the teacher says that's what everybody wants to hear about. Respond with how they need to become the next generation in the fight to keep the right to keep and bear arms and how that right is being attacked. (A clue - that's your segue into OC both as education and advocacy.)

stay safe.
My daughter, two years ago has the science forensic class in HS. Labs, look at evidence, solve crimes. So the times, they are a changing.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

To those discussing bringing a 'blue gun'...

Firearms are preempted, but gun 'facsimiles' 'replicas' 'lookalikes' can be, and in many localities are, regulated by local ordinance. Please be careful.