• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Place to shoot near Auburn

boyscout399

I'm moving to Washington next week from Maine. In ME I could shoot in my own back yard whenever I wanted. I'm looking for a good place to shoot near Auburn, WA. I shoot about once a week, and I don't want a strict square range. I want to be able to practice drawing from concealment, shooting on the move, reloads, etc. Anyone know a good place where this is acceptable?

decklin

I'm from Nh. Get ready for some culture shock.
The hills above Wilkeson are good if you don't want to join a club. That's where I go to run drills. It's best to go during the week as everyone goes shooting up there on the weekends, though its not as bad during the winter.
You'll find the winters are so mild here you can do a lot year round.

Alpine

There's a few good spots a couple miles southeast of Carbonado, along the Carbon river. Technically I think it's inside the Mt. Rainier national park, but the rangers there always seemed friendly towards shooters every time I've been down there. Not sure how this works during the "shut down" though. There isn't a gate or any required admission fee to get to that area, but there is a ranger station along the road.

WA_G32

Renton fish and game club
Champion indoor range

At the Renton range there is NO drawing from concealment type shooting except for IDPA matches, LE or other matches. The only way you can do that type of shooting not at a match is become a Range Officer. Renton is super strict on no drawing or rapid fire on their regular range.
http://www.rfgc.org/club/clubAct.php

The range in Kent is pretty nice. There is also a range called the Marksman in Puyallup. I loved Auburn and miss living there. You have a Cabelas south and north of you too. Once a month there is a huge gunshow at the Puyallup fairgrounds. You can go and buy ammo and stuff without becoming a member. You only have to be a member to buy or sell guns but the membership pays your way into the show all year...the $35 was well worth it. Get your CPL..concealed pistol license. You will avoid the 5 day waiting period on handguns and WA is a shall issue State with no class to take. You do not need a CPL to open carry unless in your car then you must have the cpl if the gun is loaded.

devldogs55

Find a forest service road and head out into the woods. There's a plethora of gravel pits where you can set up targets all over the place, draw, shoot move - while reloading.. And please clean up after yourself.