Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 75

Thread: Premonition of food-riots. E-benefit card glitch sparks Walmart shopping 'sprees'

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154

    Premonition of food-riots. E-benefit card glitch sparks Walmart shopping 'sprees'

    "Walmart and local police in Springhill and Mansfield confirmed to CBS affiliate KSLA that officers were called into the stores to help maintain order Saturday as shoppers swept through the aisles at two stores and bought as much as they could carry. [ ... ] Walmart workers phoned their corporate headquarters to ask how they should handle all the shoppers with unlimited, government-funded spending limits, and were told to keep the registers ringing."

    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-in-louisiana/

    Keep the registers ringing, but not Christmas Bells.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    134

    ridiculous

    If this is true (and it sounds like a "troll" report to me), then I say Walmart should not be able to collect from this glitch. These people are obviously gluttonous pigs with no sense of right or wrong. Walmart staff had to know when they saw this going on that something was wrong. No normal situation would allow these pigs to buy anything they wanted without limits. Walmart management, telling the cashiers to keep the registers ringing, were only contributing to the theft of goods from the government. I say the government should pay not more than they normally would without the glitch, Walmart eats the loss themselves due to their own corporate gluttony.

  3. #3
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    If the transaction comes back approved, keep the registers ringing. It is not Walmarts job to "police" the spending of the tax payers money. It is our job as voters, sadly those who benefit from government the most have been voting to continue benefiting from government.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    134

    so you are advocating...............

    that a person on public assistance should have no personal responsibility for abusing the system? In other words, you're saying that if their card use is unlimited because of a technical problem in the system, they should not be held responsible because they knowingly violated the rules of the program? And Walmart is also not complicit because they knowingly aided and abetted abuse of public assistance? Your attitude is exactly why we have so many on public assistance who commit fraud and abuse with no moral or ethical concern. I personally don't feel obligated to pay for that abuse. If you want to, why don't you send extra money to the IRS when you file your tax return.

  5. #5
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Conversely, you can stop supporting by not "sending" any money to the IRS.

  6. #6
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    lets face It, food stamps is all one big giant corporate subsidy for walmart....

    it's nessecary because Wal-Mart introduced the business model that is leading to declines in US wages and benefits, and in many cases Wal-Mart locates stores in impoverished areas only because the people there can pay with government benefits.

    in addition Wal-Mart specifically counts on and lobbies for government benefits to keep their workers from unionizing, so why is anyone complaining here?

    if food stamps were gone tomorrow the walmart super stores in Springhill would probably disappear, or be severely cut back.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Eschew Big Box. Buy Mom&Pop.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Eschew Big Box. Buy Mom&Pop.
    I buy whatever I can get that offers me the most value for my money. I don't give a crap whether that outlet is a big box or a Mom & Pop.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    134

    another supporter of the government dependency model.................

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    lets face It, food stamps is all one big giant corporate subsidy for walmart....

    it's nessecary because Wal-Mart introduced the business model that is leading to declines in US wages and benefits, and in many cases Wal-Mart locates stores in impoverished areas only because the people there can pay with government benefits.

    in addition Wal-Mart specifically counts on and lobbies for government benefits to keep their workers from unionizing, so why is anyone complaining here?

    if food stamps were gone tomorrow the walmart super stores in Springhill would probably disappear, or be severely cut back.
    So it's all the fault of government and big business?????

    And maybe they should close. Why should any of us want to have to pay taxes to support someone else's ineptitude, incompetence, lack of skills and laziness. I look at my tax return every year and still am trying to find in the constitution of this country where it says I have to turn over fully 1/3rd of everything I earn to the government, to do with as they see fit. Then on top of that I have to pay property and school taxes, sales taxes and personal property taxes on vehicles. Then I get to "live" on whatever is left. The old saying of charity beginning at home is still applicable. Take care of your own and don't worry about those who won't try to take care of themselves.

    Food stamp cheats deserve to be cut off the system, and Walmart deserves to be fined for contributing to fraud and abuse of the system. And if you think Government social programs are the way to go, just wait until Obamacare is in full swing. Then see just how many stories of fraud and abuse hit the news, especially since the libtards have pushed for no income verification requirements. Might as well put up a sign and say to everyone, "sign up and steal all you can before the Republicans force us to implement controls on the money."
    Last edited by RK3369; 10-15-2013 at 11:59 AM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154

    WalMart CEO sees the economy as "tough" and "unpredictable" around the world.

    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/wal-mart-sa...-business.html

    My financial/economics guru may say that Great Wall of China Mart is discovering the downside to robust and learning the advantages of anti-fragility.

    http://www.amazon.com/Black-Swan-Imp.../dp/B00139XTG4

    http://www.amazon.com/Antifragile-Th.../dp/B0083DJWGO
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Kopis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    727
    i found this appaling article on the blaze. Amazing how it isnt on CNN or NBC. Only CBS and fox. anyway find video links?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    134

    ?????

    Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    i found this appaling article on the blaze. Amazing how it isnt on CNN or NBC. Only CBS and fox. anyway find video links?
    where's the beef?????? oops, where's the link?????

    looked at The Blaze and their recent article said that the LA Dept of SS said that Walmart may be responsible for any purchases over the limits that should have been on the card. Good, especially when Walmart management told their cashiers to keep the registers ringing. They aided in the abuse of the system.
    Last edited by RK3369; 10-15-2013 at 12:58 PM.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    When the system got back up and running ... 1 lady with $$$$$ in her multiple cart purchase tried to checkout...she had 47 cents in her acct... (radio this morning)

    bummer lady .. almost got free stuff.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Kopis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by RK3369 View Post
    where's the beef?????? oops, where's the link?????

    looked at The Blaze and their recent article said that the LA Dept of SS said that Walmart may be responsible for any purchases over the limits that should have been on the card. Good, especially when Walmart management told their cashiers to keep the registers ringing. They aided in the abuse of the system.
    i agree but who knows. everyone who swiped a card during this time to purchase enormous quantities of food should have their benefits revoked but we all know that wont happen.

  15. #15
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    bummer lady .. almost got free stuff.
    By free you mean "stolen from the tax-paying citizens of the state" of course, right?
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    "... citizens of the state" of course, right?
    What a horrible Orwellian phrase is "citizen of the state."

    I used to be a paid member of a survey board, a standard introductory question of which was; Which do you consider yourself a citizen of: World, Nation or Community?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  17. #17
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by RK3369 View Post
    So it's all the fault of government and big business?????

    And maybe they should close. Why should any of us want to have to pay taxes to support someone else's ineptitude, incompetence, lack of skills and laziness. I look at my tax return every year and still am trying to find in the constitution of this country where it says I have to turn over fully 1/3rd of everything I earn to the government, to do with as they see fit. Then on top of that I have to pay property and school taxes, sales taxes and personal property taxes on vehicles. Then I get to "live" on whatever is left. The old saying of charity beginning at home is still applicable. Take care of your own and don't worry about those who won't try to take care of themselves.

    Food stamp cheats deserve to be cut off the system, and Walmart deserves to be fined for contributing to fraud and abuse of the system. And if you think Government social programs are the way to go, just wait until Obamacare is in full swing. Then see just how many stories of fraud and abuse hit the news, especially since the libtards have pushed for no income verification requirements. Might as well put up a sign and say to everyone, "sign up and steal all you can before the Republicans force us to implement controls on the money."
    not everyone who uses benefits is there because of ineptitude, take a look at the current employment statistics, not everyone who wants a job can have one, and since the Wal-Martization of our economy good jobs are harder and harder to find.

    the big businesses are to blame, they've fostered and lobbied the mentality that people who can't make enough money at work should just go on public assistance, the "free market capitalists" broke up the labor movement and the unions and now everyone's wondering why there's so much welfare and why employment is terrible.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154

    Walmart Says Food Stamp Shopping Spree Was 'Right Choice'

    "We know we made the right choice," Walmart spokesman Kory Lundberg told ABCNews.com today. The chain has no regrets even though Louisiana's Department of Children and Family Services said food stamp recipients should have been limited to $50 each during the emergency and that Walmart will have to pay the difference. Lundberg declined to comment about how much the company may have lost or why it did not follow the emergency $50 limit. "

    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/walma...ry?id=20579980

    Obama-phones and Great Wall of China EBT, what more could a slug want?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  19. #19
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    lets face It, food stamps is all one big giant corporate subsidy for walmart....
    Hahaha your joking right?

    it's nessecary because Wal-Mart introduced the business model that is leading to declines in US wages and benefits, and in many cases Wal-Mart locates stores in impoverished areas only because the people there can pay with government benefits.
    Unproven and contrary to economic reality.

    in addition Wal-Mart specifically counts on and lobbies for government benefits to keep their workers from unionizing, so why is anyone complaining here?
    A private employer should have the right not to hire unionized workers. The moral hazard here is provided by the government as you point out yet quickly dismiss, this doesn't mean Wal-mart has no culpability.

    if food stamps were gone tomorrow the walmart super stores in Springhill would probably disappear, or be severely cut back.
    I doubt it, because then the poor would have to really budget and would really need a cheaper source for their sustenance, Wal-mart would still thrive.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  20. #20
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    not everyone who uses benefits is there because of ineptitude, take a look at the current employment statistics, not everyone who wants a job can have one, and since the Wal-Martization of our economy good jobs are harder and harder to find.
    Lack of understanding how economics works, this simply is not true.

    the big businesses are to blame, they've fostered and lobbied the mentality that people who can't make enough money at work should just go on public assistance, the "free market capitalists" broke up the labor movement and the unions and now everyone's wondering why there's so much welfare and why employment is terrible.
    You can't be one sided in the blame, who received the money from the lobbying effort? Who immorally caved to the lobbyist?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    134

    another liberal philosopher...........

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    not everyone who uses benefits is there because of ineptitude, take a look at the current employment statistics, not everyone who wants a job can have one, and since the Wal-Martization of our economy good jobs are harder and harder to find.

    the big businesses are to blame, they've fostered and lobbied the mentality that people who can't make enough money at work should just go on public assistance, the "free market capitalists" broke up the labor movement and the unions and now everyone's wondering why there's so much welfare and why employment is terrible.
    Big business has not fostered that attitude, big Government has fostered it. The last I looked, most big businesses (read Corporate for profit America) is not in favor of big government and big social programs because it costs them BIG CORPORATE TAXES. Business has no responsibility to pay big corporate taxes, it has a responsibility to make a return on investment for it's stockholders or owners. That is the sole reason for the existence of business in general. It is not to provide a safety net for those who can't figure it out for themselves. You can argue that it is Government's responsibility to provide the safety net for the inept in our society, and to a degree, I would agree. However, it is not BIG GOVERNMENT'S obligation to put everyone who doesn't work towards gaining the skills, education and accomplishments necessary to secure a good paying job on the safety net.

    Now you say that people who want to work can't find good jobs. Perhaps, but I would argue that if they can't find good jobs, it's because they don't have the underlying skills to enable them to secure those good jobs, not simply because the jobs are not available. They need to invest in themselves and work towards securing the education and skills necessary to get those good jobs. It's not government's obligation to take care of the lazy and inept simply because they are too lazy to try to make it for themselves. If you have no dog in the fight, whatever you get is meaningless.

    I disagree with you. There are jobs out there for anybody that wants one bad enough. It's just that nobody without the education and skills can't expect to become the six figure salary CEO of a major corporation simply because they want a job. They have to take what they can get and work towards bettering themselves, not just lay back and complain that it's big business's fault that there are no good jobs around. On the contrary, it's probably more likely the union's fault because their incessant demands for more more more all the time have driven a lot of the good jobs overseas. As I said, business has an obligation to make a return on investment for it's owners or stockholders. If they can't make a return manufacturing in this country because the costs of production are too high, you can't blame them for going overseas where it's cheaper to produce. That's the fault of the unions to begin with, not the businesses.

  22. #22
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    <snip>

    the big businesses are to blame, they've fostered and lobbied the mentality that people who can't make enough money at work should just go on public assistance, the "free market capitalists" broke up the labor movement and the unions and now everyone's wondering why there's so much welfare and why employment is terrible.
    Public assistance would not be available except for Big Government. Big Business does not make public assistance available. Big Labor played a hand in their own decline.

    People will not vote against Santa Clause, and Obama (liberals) is Santa Clause.

  23. #23
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by RK3369 View Post
    <snip> If they can't make a return manufacturing in this country because the costs of production are too high, you can't blame them for going overseas where it's cheaper to produce. That's the fault of the unions to begin with, not the businesses.
    I do not disagree with your premise. however, Big Business, many years ago, agreed to those bloated Big Labor contracts.....GM. The Big Business of today will not sign those bloated Big Labor contracts, and has been moving production facilities to countries that do not have Big Labor, nor a standard of living that the Big Labor worker here demands.....uh.....enjoys.

  24. #24
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I do not disagree with your premise. however, Big Business, many years ago, were bullied into those bloated Big Labor contracts by Big Labor with the assistance of a complicit Big Government.....GM. The
    There, fixed that for you.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    134

    I have to agree..............

    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I do not disagree with your premise. however, Big Business, many years ago, agreed to those bloated Big Labor contracts.....GM. The Big Business of today will not sign those bloated Big Labor contracts, and has been moving production facilities to countries that do not have Big Labor, nor a standard of living that the Big Labor worker here demands.....uh.....enjoys.
    Agreed, it was and has been also a shared fault with Big Business, because GM Management agreed to those bloated contracts with the assumption that they could just keep passing along the cost increases to the consumer with each new model year. So Big Business was equally at fault for the demise of labor union power. This is in my mind, why I was totally against the Government Bailout of GM. GM should have been allowed to go bankrupt, just like any other business should go bankrupt when their management doesn't do it's job effectively. GM thought they could just keep passing along their cost increases to the market and the market would pay it, but eventually, when the economy turned sour, they couldn't give their cars away.

    And they are headed in the same direction again. Yes, supposedly they paid back all the bailout money they received, but now they are developing hybrid cars that cost $40,000, can only be driven 75 miles between charges, and have to use premium gasoline when they do run gas. They are about as big as a matchbox, but GM says they are the car of the future. Was in a GM showroom a couple weeks back, guess what? The hybrids aren't selling because you can buy two Toyota Prius for what it costs for one GM Volt. Their management is completely inept and the company should fail. No company is too big to fail, but the Obamanation won't let them fail because they have always courted the support of the labor unions.

    The government had no business bailing out any business to begin with. Financing private business is not the mandate of government under the constitution. Let them fail, and if they can't negotiate favorable labor contracts which allow them to produce cars in this country and make a profit for their investors, they need to either go elsewhere to produce (which they have already largely done) or they need to fold up their tents and fade into the sunset. Government should not be helping them out, large numbers of jobs or not. This is not the function of government in a democracy. IT is however, the function of government in a socialist or communist state, but I guess that's where we have been heading for a long time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •