Thread: Good Holster For OC

Good Holster For OC

Got an S&W sd40ve and have been using a blackhawk sportster ambidextrous holster and tho the gun is secure the holster isn't the best. Looking for some opinions/ideas for a better holster. was thinking maybe a serpa.

Holsters are one of those items you develop a preference for. What one person likes, another may turn their nose up.

The serpa is a very popular holster, and from all indications a good holster. But plastic, even injection molded plastic wears, any holster needs regular inspections. Leather lasts for decades, but is more expensive. Figure out what is comfortable for you, and meets your needs.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Yep, SERPA, my OCW SA1911A1 holster year around.

My CCW H&K USPc .40 hangs in my Versa Carry original or a GALCO SOB.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

check ebay, i have a stoeger cougar 40. i found a brand new gould and goodrich x341 level 3 retention holster for $16.98 each. i bought 2 of them, they are $96 +shipping at midway usa. i find alot of good deals on there on holsters and mags, i got extra mags a few months back for $22 shipped free.

I use a Blackhawk serpa for my SIG, and I love it. It feels good and has great retention.

I suspect most end up with more holsters than mags before they are done.

I went into it on the cheap. Thinking it will show me what I like and don't like.
    I started with a Blackhawk IWB for $15. It still works fine for conceal.
    Then I bought a nylon OWB on Fleabay for $12. It works nice but the metal belt clip was a hassle. Finally I took the clip off and used the belt loop. It's a hassle too. I have to take my belt half off when I get to work just to disarm. Repeat when I drive home. Repeat when I get home. Pain pain pain.

Just today I ordered a Blackhawk SERPA paddle from Wally world $26. We'll see starting Monday.

I have two Serpa CQC's with paddle, and belt option that I'm very happy with. I use the paddle.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by samkent View Post
    I suspect most end up with more holsters than mags before they are done.

I went into it on the cheap. Thinking it will show me what I like and don't like.
    I started with a Blackhawk IWB for $15. It still works fine for conceal.
    Then I bought a nylon OWB on Fleabay for $12. It works nice but the metal belt clip was a hassle. Finally I took the clip off and used the belt loop. It's a hassle too. I have to take my belt half off when I get to work just to disarm. Repeat when I drive home. Repeat when I get home. Pain pain pain.

Just today I ordered a Blackhawk SERPA paddle from Wally world $26. We'll see starting Monday.
    Most times I wear a heavy belt outside my belt loops. Taking the gun on and off is simple. Other times I use belt slide holsters and just remove the gun and leave the holster on.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

If you choose a Serpa, make sure you practice with it. I'm not going to start a debate or try to imply it's dangerous. I have one, but having a Serpa doesn't mean you will operate it correctly when you need it. It's pretty intuitive, but you still need to practice to get that fine motor skill down so you don't have to think in an emergency.

Another thing to remember with any non-passive retention holster is that it's often a good idea to always use the same style across your line up of pistols. That way you always use the same motion to unlock it every time. Imagine if you have pistol A with a serpa and pistol B with a thumb drive. Suddenly you need to draw and you hit the serpa finger button only to realize you're actually wearing pistol B. Follow?

That's all I have. Practice, practice, practice.

The dangers and deficiencies of Serpas have now been well documented. All that is required is a google search to learn more. Or for that matter, a search of this forum.

Any Safariland rig which meets your criteria for features will be a superior product to any Serpa. Many can be had for only slightly more money, and sometimes less on sale. I very strongly endorse Safariland over Serpas. Other blackhawk products, sure, they are fine. Serpas, no.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

I prefer the Safariland ALS series. If you want to see more options check out some links in the holster options document I compiled at http://tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    The dangers and deficiencies of Serpas have now been well documented. All that is required is a google search to learn more. Or for that matter, a search of this forum.

Any Safariland rig which meets your criteria for features will be a superior product to any Serpa. Many can be had for only slightly more money, and sometimes less on sale. I very strongly endorse Safariland over Serpas. Other blackhawk products, sure, they are fine. Serpas, no.
    Just for the record, I didn't say I used my Serpa much, just said I have one. But it's for a pistol I will rarely if ever carry, so I don't really intend to buy something else for what amounts to a range pistol. I have my preferred brand and style, but it's not about me. Just try them out and see what you like personally. It's also important to check the OP's pistol because I don't believe that Safariland makes the ALS for the SD40VE. Just saying.

i like the comptac holsters. They are one piece molded and therefore very smooth and rounded where it hooks onto your belt. It doesnt pinch me like my blackhawk does. The pro and potentially con is that it is friction held, no active retention button. That could be both good and bad. Anyway, i like mine, i have three lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post

The only danger I see of the Serpa is the idiots who do not have enough sense to keep their booger hooks off the trigger.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The only danger I see of the Serpa is the idiots who do not have enough sense to keep their booger hooks off the trigger.
    It's "bang switch". "Keep their booger hooks off the bang switch." Sheesh, some people don't know their colloquialisms.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    It's "bang switch". "Keep their booger hooks off the bang switch." Sheesh, some people don't know their colloquialisms.
    Hey I'm old, and memory on these things are sometimes foggy. That's my story and I'm glued to it.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Hey I'm old, and memory on these things are sometimes foggy. That's my story and I'm glued to it.
    I see what you did there...
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.