• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Holster For OC

rs3604

Got an S&W sd40ve and have been using a blackhawk sportster ambidextrous holster and tho the gun is secure the holster isn't the best. Looking for some opinions/ideas for a better holster. was thinking maybe a serpa.

WalkingWolf

Holsters are one of those items you develop a preference for. What one person likes, another may turn their nose up.

The serpa is a very popular holster, and from all indications a good holster. But plastic, even injection molded plastic wears, any holster needs regular inspections. Leather lasts for decades, but is more expensive. Figure out what is comfortable for you, and meets your needs.

boomer92266

check ebay, i have a stoeger cougar 40. i found a brand new gould and goodrich x341 level 3 retention holster for $16.98 each. i bought 2 of them, they are $96 +shipping at midway usa. i find alot of good deals on there on holsters and mags, i got extra mags a few months back for $22 shipped free.

samkent

I suspect most end up with more holsters than mags before they are done.

I went into it on the cheap. Thinking it will show me what I like and don't like.
I started with a Blackhawk IWB for $15. It still works fine for conceal.
Then I bought a nylon OWB on Fleabay for $12. It works nice but the metal belt clip was a hassle. Finally I took the clip off and used the belt loop. It's a hassle too. I have to take my belt half off when I get to work just to disarm. Repeat when I drive home. Repeat when I get home. Pain pain pain.

Just today I ordered a Blackhawk SERPA paddle from Wally world $26. We'll see starting Monday.

WalkingWolf

I suspect most end up with more holsters than mags before they are done.

I went into it on the cheap. Thinking it will show me what I like and don't like.
I started with a Blackhawk IWB for $15. It still works fine for conceal.
Then I bought a nylon OWB on Fleabay for $12. It works nice but the metal belt clip was a hassle. Finally I took the clip off and used the belt loop. It's a hassle too. I have to take my belt half off when I get to work just to disarm. Repeat when I drive home. Repeat when I get home. Pain pain pain.

Just today I ordered a Blackhawk SERPA paddle from Wally world $26. We'll see starting Monday.

Most times I wear a heavy belt outside my belt loops. Taking the gun on and off is simple. Other times I use belt slide holsters and just remove the gun and leave the holster on.

mobiushky

If you choose a Serpa, make sure you practice with it. I'm not going to start a debate or try to imply it's dangerous. I have one, but having a Serpa doesn't mean you will operate it correctly when you need it. It's pretty intuitive, but you still need to practice to get that fine motor skill down so you don't have to think in an emergency.

Another thing to remember with any non-passive retention holster is that it's often a good idea to always use the same style across your line up of pistols. That way you always use the same motion to unlock it every time. Imagine if you have pistol A with a serpa and pistol B with a thumb drive. Suddenly you need to draw and you hit the serpa finger button only to realize you're actually wearing pistol B. Follow?

That's all I have. Practice, practice, practice.

Michigander

The dangers and deficiencies of Serpas have now been well documented. All that is required is a google search to learn more. Or for that matter, a search of this forum.

Any Safariland rig which meets your criteria for features will be a superior product to any Serpa. Many can be had for only slightly more money, and sometimes less on sale. I very strongly endorse Safariland over Serpas. Other blackhawk products, sure, they are fine. Serpas, no.

mobiushky

The dangers and deficiencies of Serpas have now been well documented. All that is required is a google search to learn more. Or for that matter, a search of this forum.

Any Safariland rig which meets your criteria for features will be a superior product to any Serpa. Many can be had for only slightly more money, and sometimes less on sale. I very strongly endorse Safariland over Serpas. Other blackhawk products, sure, they are fine. Serpas, no.

Just for the record, I didn't say I used my Serpa much, just said I have one. But it's for a pistol I will rarely if ever carry, so I don't really intend to buy something else for what amounts to a range pistol. I have my preferred brand and style, but it's not about me. Just try them out and see what you like personally. It's also important to check the OP's pistol because I don't believe that Safariland makes the ALS for the SD40VE. Just saying.

Kopis

i like the comptac holsters. They are one piece molded and therefore very smooth and rounded where it hooks onto your belt. It doesnt pinch me like my blackhawk does. The pro and potentially con is that it is friction held, no active retention button. That could be both good and bad. Anyway, i like mine, i have three lol.

WalkingWolf

The only danger I see of the Serpa is the idiots who do not have enough sense to keep their booger hooks off the trigger.

JustaShooter

The only danger I see of the Serpa is the idiots who do not have enough sense to keep their booger hooks off the trigger.

It's "bang switch". "Keep their booger hooks off the bang switch." Sheesh, some people don't know their colloquialisms. ;)