• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Checked out the OC climate in MS today

independence

Was in Corinth, MS today OCing. My first time to OC in MS! Went to Kroger and had no problems at all. Went to the combination health food store/hardware store (!!!) and the lady behind the counter looked at my pistol and then looked at me and simply said, "May I help you?" I spent a lot of time there picking out herbs and researching them on my iPad. (I'm a nerd, I know.) None of the employees or customers seemed to have a problem with OC and I spent a lot of money so they should be happy! As I got into my car, a helmeted motorcyclist exited the store and said, "Hey, I gotta question...What caliber is a Glock 22?" He then proceeded to tell me about this story where a police officer shot herself with a G22 and then "lost" the gun:

http://www.wtva.com/mostpopular/sto...putys-missing-gun/-d_cxuClWkCPvdY9tdjAMw.cspx

He told me that he lives in TN and that his wife has her "conceal carry license". He was surprised when I told him that open carry with a permit is legal in TN. Then we talked motorcycles for a while and parted ways.

I also stopped in at Big Boy's Pawn, Gun and Gold. There were a million signs on the doors saying not to bring loaded guns into the store. I cracked the door a bit and asked if the sign applies to carrying in the store and they said no. (???) LOL. So I went in. Later, I was talking to this guy who I think was the manager and he said that he heard me ask about the sign. He said that the sign is there for stupid people who walk in carrying loaded rifles and whatnot that they want to pawn. Then he started talking about open carry and how his only problem with it is that he thinks that you should have to have a permit (you don't) to do it because otherwise "you will have people in large crowds trying to defend themselves with a gun and shooting everybody up." I was going to try to educate him a bit on this, but I wasn't sure if it was really worth it. He got busy with a customer right then and his ammo was too expensive, so I left.

So definitely a successful open carry day in Corinth, MS that gave me a bit of an idea as to the OC climate there. The only thing I didn't experience was an LEO seeing me OC - at least that I know of. Not sure how the LEOs are about it over there.

Glocklover20

Was in Corinth, MS today OCing. My first time to OC in MS! Went to Kroger and had no problems at all. Went to the combination health food store/hardware store (!!!) and the lady behind the counter looked at my pistol and then looked at me and simply said, "May I help you?" I spent a lot of time there picking out herbs and researching them on my iPad. (I'm a nerd, I know.) None of the employees or customers seemed to have a problem with OC and I spent a lot of money so they should be happy! As I got into my car, a helmeted motorcyclist exited the store and said, "Hey, I gotta question...What caliber is a Glock 22?" He then proceeded to tell me about this story where a police officer shot herself with a G22 and then "lost" the gun:

http://www.wtva.com/mostpopular/sto...putys-missing-gun/-d_cxuClWkCPvdY9tdjAMw.cspx

He told me that he lives in TN and that his wife has her "conceal carry license". He was surprised when I told him that open carry with a permit is legal in TN. Then we talked motorcycles for a while and parted ways.

I also stopped in at Big Boy's Pawn, Gun and Gold. There were a million signs on the doors saying not to bring loaded guns into the store. I cracked the door a bit and asked if the sign applies to carrying in the store and they said no. (???) LOL. So I went in. Later, I was talking to this guy who I think was the manager and he said that he heard me ask about the sign. He said that the sign is there for stupid people who walk in carrying loaded rifles and whatnot that they want to pawn. Then he started talking about open carry and how his only problem with it is that he thinks that you should have to have a permit (you don't) to do it because otherwise "you will have people in large crowds trying to defend themselves with a gun and shooting everybody up." I was going to try to educate him a bit on this, but I wasn't sure if it was really worth it. He got busy with a customer right then and his ammo was too expensive, so I left.

So definitely a successful open carry day in Corinth, MS that gave me a bit of an idea as to the OC climate there. The only thing I didn't experience was an LEO seeing me OC - at least that I know of. Not sure how the LEOs are about it over there.

Glad it worked out man. I've said before that people will slowly accept OC in public as they see that it's not the wildest the news was saying it would be.

independence

I forgot that the motorcyclist said, "So are you out here doin' that...active carry, or whatever?" I started to say, "Well, I like to open carry because..." He interrupted and said, "Open carry, that's right!" I finished with something like, "...because open carry gives me a faster draw in a defensive situation than trying to mess with concealment clothing getting in the way."

Last edited: