Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 104

Thread: So now I'm an anti

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    So now I'm an anti

    I've always thought of myself as very "pro", as there isn't a single gun law I can think of which I support.

    However, apparently, because I choose to voice displeasure over guys who can't be bothered to ensure that their slung rifles are pointing in a safe direction (i.e. not sideways at passersby), I'm an anti who "spouts the same rhetoric as the Brady Bunch".

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...en-Carry/page7

    Ordinarily I'd take this with a grain of salt, but by the sampling so far, nobody agrees with me, and the ratio of folks calling me an anti is 100%.

    I sincerely don't mean to whine over a disagreement, but... Clearly, if I'm an anti I don't belong on this site, now or at any point in the future. If the community considers me an anti, then it must be so.

    So, unless anybody can be bothered to convince me otherwise, I'm going to take another hiatus from this site, one likely to be permanent this time, given the circumstances.

    Sorry for being such a little girl, but I have invested quite a lot of my time and energy into this movement (and this forum), and if I don't belong then I really need to place my energies elsewhere.
    Last edited by marshaul; 10-15-2013 at 02:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    I, never thought you to be an anti-gun thinker.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    So, unless anybody can be bothered to convince me otherwise, I'm going to take another hiatus from this site, one likely to be permanent this time, given the circumstances..
    Please stay and stay active here. You and Citizen are about all the significant posters remaining that correspond with my views.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I've always thought of myself as very "pro", as there isn't a single gun law I can think of which I support.

    However, apparently, because I choose to voice displeasure over guys who can't be bothered to ensure that their slung rifles are pointing in a safe direction (i.e. not sideways at passersby), I'm an anti who "spouts the same rhetoric as the Brady Bunch".

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...en-Carry/page7

    Ordinarily I'd take this with a grain of salt, but by the sampling so far, nobody agrees with me, and the ratio of folks calling me an anti is 100%.

    I sincerely don't mean to whine over a disagreement, but... Clearly, if I'm an anti I don't belong on this site, now or at any point in the future. If the community considers me an anti, then it must be so.

    So, unless anybody can be bothered to convince me otherwise, I'm going to take another hiatus from this site, one likely to be permanent this time, given the circumstances.

    Sorry for being such a little girl, but I have invested quite a lot of my time and energy into this movement (and this forum), and if I don't belong then I really need to place my energies elsewhere.
    Sorry but your fears and urinating and moaning makes you an anti. Gun rights supporters support all rights, not just the ones they agree with. Staying or leaving is your choice, but I certainly will not kiss your backside to stay. Be a man, take responsibility for your posts and stands, don't whimper and cry and expect to get by.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-15-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Sorry but your fears and urinating and moaning makes you an anti. Gun rights supporters support all rights, not just the ones they agree with. Staying or leaving is your choice, but I certainly will not kiss your backside to stay. Be a man, take responsibility for your posts and stands, don't whimper and cry and expect to get by.
    I have stood by everything I've said, and continue to do so. I am fed up with your blatant lies – if you're going to accuse me of something, at least try to make it based in fact.

    I have always supported all rights. I have never advocated government intervention or regulation.

    I do continue to maintain that it's unsafe (relatively, such things are never absolute) to allow a slung long gun to unnecessarily and avoidably cant sideways and point directly at passersby. I stand by this.

    I don't believe we need laws to enforce this. I merely believe we, as a community, should set the bar high in this regard. I stand by this as well.

    How can you possibly see that as not supporting all rights?

  6. #6
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I have stood by everything I've said, and continue to do so. I am fed up with your blatant lies – if you're going to accuse me of something, at least try to make it based in fact.

    I have always supported all rights. I have never advocated government intervention or regulation.

    I do continue to maintain that it's unsafe (relatively, such things are never absolute) to allow a slung long gun to unnecessarily and avoidably cant sideways and point directly at passersby. I stand by this.

    I don't believe we need laws to enforce this. I merely believe we, as a community, should set the bar high in this regard. I stand by this as well.

    How can you possibly see that as not supporting all rights?
    The problem is not standing by what you said, it is what you said is the position of anti gun proponants. You are clearly in fear of long guns, and do not honor those who carries them rights. Whether you believe it should be enforced does not matter, your fears and opinions based on those fears give fuel to those who wish to remove all rights based on fears. YOU DO NOT SUPPORT THE RIGHT TO OPEN CARRY A LONG GUN. And you have made insulting posts based on that about SBX, and now about a long gun OCer because you are scared his gun may fire all by itself.

    Now you are crying because you got called out.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Everyone has the right to carry a rifle as they see fit.

    And if the thing points at me at any time, I have the right to shoot first. After a few of those, the proper slings will be more popular.

    We have a right to criticize those who fail to safely exercise their right to bear arms.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,156
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    ... safely exercise ...
    That is a demonstration and not a hypothetical.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  9. #9
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Everyone has the right to carry a rifle as they see fit.

    And if the thing points at me at any time, I have the right to shoot first. After a few of those, the proper slings will be more popular.

    We have a right to criticize those who fail to safely exercise their right to bear arms.
    Everybody has a right to criticize, including criticizing hoplophobes.

    And I would suggest checking with a attorney before you shoot somebody for ONLY having a slung rifle because you think it is pointed at you.

    Talk about unsafe, that is the epitome of unsafe acts.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-15-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The problem is not standing by what you said, it is what you said is the position of anti gun proponants. You are clearly in fear of long guns, and do not honor those who carries them rights. Whether you believe it should be enforced does not matter, your fears and opinions based on those fears give fuel to those who wish to remove all rights based on fears. YOU DO NOT SUPPORT THE RIGHT TO OPEN CARRY A LONG GUN. And you have made insulting posts based on that about SBX, and now about a long gun OCer because you are scared his gun may fire all by itself.

    Now you are crying because you got called out.
    Called out? Lied about.

    We can disagree over this issue without you resorting to the insult "anti", possibly the one insult you could fathom which would actually bother me.

    Guess what? I DO SUPPORT THE RIGHT TO OPEN CARRY A LONG GUN. My declaration of this fact is worth more than yours, incidentally. Only I am able to relate what I support.

    I do not believe supporting the right means I am compelled to say nothing about folks who let their loaded guns point at me. I believe it is eminently reasonable of me to criticize them. I stand by that, too.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699


    Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I've always thought of myself as very "pro", as there isn't a single gun law I can think of which I support.

    However, apparently, because I choose to voice displeasure over guys who can't be bothered to ensure that their slung rifles are pointing in a safe direction (i.e. not sideways at passersby), I'm an anti who "spouts the same rhetoric as the Brady Bunch".

    SNIP
    NOTE: I did not review the thread (7 pages) provided in the OP, however, may I ask:

    How is a rifle carried/slung in a somewhat horizontal fashion any different than a handgun in a horizontal-type, shoulder holster any different -- the handgun is sideways at passersby?

    ETA: Nevermind, I reviewed some of the thread which provided an answer to my question.
    Last edited by SpringerXDacp; 10-15-2013 at 03:35 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I've always thought of myself as very "pro", as there isn't a single gun law I can think of which I support.

    However, apparently, because I choose to voice displeasure over guys who can't be bothered to ensure that their slung rifles are pointing in a safe direction (i.e. not sideways at passersby), I'm an anti who "spouts the same rhetoric as the Brady Bunch".

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...en-Carry/page7

    Ordinarily I'd take this with a grain of salt, but by the sampling so far, nobody agrees with me, and the ratio of folks calling me an anti is 100%.

    I sincerely don't mean to whine over a disagreement, but... Clearly, if I'm an anti I don't belong on this site, now or at any point in the future. If the community considers me an anti, then it must be so.

    So, unless anybody can be bothered to convince me otherwise, I'm going to take another hiatus from this site, one likely to be permanent this time, given the circumstances.

    Sorry for being such a little girl, but I have invested quite a lot of my time and energy into this movement (and this forum), and if I don't belong then I really need to place my energies elsewhere.
    I wouldn't let myself be bullied into making a decision I did not want to make. If you feel like taking a break from the forum, then do so, otherwise, don't. I certainly wouldn't let the forum members who are attacking you push you around. It is they who can't see the difference between supporting a right and voicing an opinion about the irresponsibility of exercising that right in a certain way. To purloin a phrase, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

    Of course, now I'll be labeled an anti-sympathizer or some such. Never mind that you and I disagree on certain topics I'm sure the lingering lupine and his legions will declare it to be so. No matter, I've weathered worse from far more worthy individuals.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Brandishing requires hands - on anyways. Guns don't mysteriously discharge.

    Above is what I wrote ... I did not call the OP anti ... just provided facts for him to review

    Stick around dude, I just learned your name !

  15. #15
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    I wouldn't let myself be bullied into making a decision I did not want to make. If you feel like taking a break from the forum, then do so, otherwise, don't. I certainly wouldn't let the forum members who are attacking you push you around. It is they who can't see the difference between supporting a right and voicing an opinion about the irresponsibility of exercising that right in a certain way. To purloin a phrase, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

    Of course, now I'll be labeled an anti-sympathizer or some such. Never mind that you and I disagree on certain topics I'm sure the lingering lupine and his legions will declare it to be so. No matter, I've weathered worse from far more worthy individuals.
    Brady bunch voices opinions, that is what they do, the legislators actually make the laws. He is welcome to his opinion, I am welcome to mine. If he can't handle that maybe he should take a break until he can deal with reality. And nobody is pushing anybody, everybody gets to have a opinion.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  16. #16
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXDacp View Post
    NOTE: I did not review the thread (7 pages) provided in the OP, however, may I ask:

    How is a rifle carried/slung in a somewhat horizontal fashion any different than a handgun in a horizontal-type, shoulder holster any different -- the handgun is sideways at passersby?
    He seems to believe LG can magically discharge all by themselves.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  17. #17
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Αrida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    He seems to believe LG can magically discharge all by themselves.
    See, I took what he said as statement of the fact that mechanical failures occur sometimes. Nowadays, firearms are actually quite safe from ADs due to firing pin blocks and the like, but all you need is for that one statistical anomaly to occur (block failure, spontaneous primer flash, etc.) and Long Guns will be vilified. Sort of like that safety rule of "Don't point the muzzle at anything you aren't willing to destroy". Same reason I choose not to carry cross draw or horizontally.

    I wouldn't peg Marshaul as an anti because of it.

  18. #18
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    See, I took what he said as statement of the fact that mechanical failures occur sometimes. Nowadays, firearms are actually quite safe from ADs due to firing pin blocks and the like, but all you need is for that one statistical anomaly to occur (block failure, spontaneous primer flash, etc.) and Long Guns will be vilified. Sort of like that safety rule of "Don't point the muzzle at anything you aren't willing to destroy". Same reason I choose not to carry cross draw or horizontally.

    I wouldn't peg Marshaul as an anti because of it.
    The primary word here is "point" nobody in the OP video was pointing a firearm. The firearm was never touched in the video. Not one incident has been posted of a OC'd long gun discharging without the trigger being depressed. Yet we have seen dozens of claims in the past of handguns going off, because the keys did it, the holster did it, when we all know the finger did it. His fear of a LG going off from anything other than a finger on the trigger is irrational. His claim that SBX asked firearms owners not carry because of LG carry has not been backed up. They are nothing but assumptions and fears based on hoplophobia.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Not one incident has been posted of a OC'd long gun discharging without the trigger being depressed.
    Right, they always occur when the trigger is pressed. As I've been saying.

    The part you're missing is that it's possible for the trigger to be pressed accidentally.

    A cursory Google search reveals numerous threads of hunters whose long gun discharged when a twig snagged the trigger, or when they stumbled and some article of clothing snagged it, etc. A holstered handgun has the advantage of an extra safety layer in the form of a covered trigger. A rifle does not have this. It is only prudent to ensure that a loaded rifle is always pointed in a safe direction.

    The differentiation between actively and passively pointed seems moot in this regard, so long as the gun is out and about.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Brandishing requires hands - on anyways. Guns don't mysteriously discharge.

    Above is what I wrote ... I did not call the OP anti ... just provided facts for him to review

    Stick around dude, I just learned your name !
    No, you didn't call me anti. I've no issue with your posts.

    And the bolded part was a good point, which I accepted (I dropped that line of thought as invalid and focused on social pressure). Discussion is great, and what is discussion without disagreement?
    Last edited by marshaul; 10-15-2013 at 05:22 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    I agree with you Marshaul. I don't generally like urban long gun OC so I go farther than you. I believe it is rightful activity but that it hurts our movement for no reason.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Dave_pro2a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,227
    Its one thing to tell someone his an idiot and should stop his actions (long arm carry style).

    It's altogether another thing to vocally support the application of the states coercive power.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

    "We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

    "The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

    "I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

    "Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    I thought this was a joke thread... then I read a bit...

    Marshall is an anti?

    Ok... like I thought... joke thread.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Brace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    209
    Letting a gun flag someone is always sketchy and when the trigger isn't covered it's negligent.

  25. #25
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    No, you didn't call me anti. I've no issue with your posts.

    And the bolded part was a good point, which I accepted (I dropped that line of thought as invalid and focused on social pressure). Discussion is great, and what is discussion without disagreement?
    SOCIAL PRESSURE? That is exactly what got us to where we are now, it is amazing how those spouting this poop do not see how outrageous it is. Any doubt you are a anti has just been clarified, by YOU.

    Triggers are not pressed accidently, they are pressed negligently. And far more incidents happen with handguns, and you still have not posted one legitimate incident of a OC LG discharge without the presence of a finger on the trigger. Your whole line is nothing but hoplophobia.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-15-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •