Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for British firearms owners

Question for British firearms owners

I've searched around for information on your firearms laws but I've been getting mixed answers.

1) Generally, how long does it take to acquire a firearms license?
    2) What is the maximum number of rounds you can have in a firearm?
    3) Are semi-automatic rifles/pump action shotguns legal, and how do you possess one?
    4) What is the highest caliber allowed?
    5) Are you allowed to carry any type of weapon in public? (not talking about firearms obviously).
    6) Do the laws differ in other parts of the UK?

Thanks.
    Last edited by DW98; 10-15-2013 at 02:10 PM.

I was born in England and was stationed there after joining the USAF. I can tell you that england has zero crime....bbbwwahhhhhh just kiding. To be honest I even the US Military personal have been severly restricted when it comes to firearms. I know that it is hard to get all the required approvals and you have to meet strick guidelines to own any weapons. Most only own shotguns and then even those are regulated out the wazzo. Hand guns are only for the cops and privilaged. Rifles are like shotguns but seem to require more paperwork and justification. This is for those that follow the law, but like most cases criminals don't follow the law and guns get to the bad guys easy.

Banned
    I know that many brits rue the day they allowed them to take their guns away "for safety"...

to little to late I say !

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    I was born in England and was stationed there after joining the USAF. I can tell you that england has zero crime....bbbwwahhhhhh just kiding. To be honest I even the US Military personal have been severly restricted when it comes to firearms. I know that it is hard to get all the required approvals and you have to meet strick guidelines to own any weapons...
    I'm surprised they don't have strict guidelines there, but whatever.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

England is a classic example of the dangers of social engineering. The subjects had the guns taken away because of social pressure, and they did nothing to stop it.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Thanks for all the answers.

The laws aren't that restrictive here. Yet, anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by DW98 View Post
    Thanks for all the answers.

The laws aren't that restrictive here. Yet, anyway.....
    IMHO - If you cannot protect life and limb where you stand by any means w/o incurring serious consequences, then the laws are entirely too restrictive.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    IMHO - If you cannot protect life and limb where you stand by any means w/o incurring serious consequences, then the laws are entirely too restrictive.
    I agree.

I spoke to someone the other day about self-defense in this country. He said, "Well, we don't really have anything to defend ourselves against". It angered me to say the least. This is also coming from a person who owns shotguns, rifles and pistols.....

Yet they complain about our weak justice system and how murderers can be out after a few years.

I agree.

I spoke to someone the other day about self-defense in this country. He said, "Well, we don't really have anything to defend ourselves against". It angered me to say the least. This is also coming from a person who owns shotguns, rifles and pistols.....

Yet they complain about our weak justice system and how murderers can be out after a few years.
    Kinda like the Military guy that was stabbed in the street and people just watched him die and only filmed it as they only had cameras and nothing to defend him with.

Kinda like the Military guy that was stabbed in the street and people just watched him die and only filmed it as they only had cameras and nothing to defend him with.
    With the conversation about banning/controlling sharp pointy objects/knives, have to wonder whether that will be extended to sharp pointy (potentially lethal) pens and pencils. Virtually anything can become a weapon depending how it is utilized.

Cool

With the conversation about banning/controlling sharp pointy objects/knives, have to wonder whether that will be extended to sharp pointy (potentially lethal) pens and pencils. Virtually anything can become a weapon depending how it is utilized.
    I.e...."the pen is mightier than the sword".

That was terrible.

It was made worse by the fact that regular police officers had to wait for armed police to show up. One thing I can say about our law enforcement: If you tried that here with police present, you'd shot dead, or wounded at the very least.

No UK citizen has any right enumerated. All rights, that we here in the US enjoy, are nothing but privileges in the UK, to be given or taken away at the whim of Parliament. No wonder we rebelled against that system of government.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    No UK citizen has any right enumerated. All rights, that we here in the US enjoy, are nothing but privileges in the UK, to be given or taken away at the whim of Parliament. No wonder we rebelled against that system of government.
    Yet our Common Law is based predominately on decisions from that source going back some 400 years.

That was terrible.

It was made worse by the fact that regular police officers had to wait for armed police to show up. One thing I can say about our law enforcement: If you tried that here with police present, you'd shot dead, or wounded at the very least.
    Depends on the department, say it happened in NY? How many innocents would have been shot by stray cop bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    No UK citizen has any right enumerated.
    That's not true.

Government simply ignores its own laws.

I've searched around for information on your firearms laws but I've been getting mixed answers.

1) Generally, how long does it take to acquire a firearms license?
    2) What is the maximum number of rounds you can have in a firearm?
    3) Are semi-automatic rifles/pump action shotguns legal, and how do you possess one?
    4) What is the highest caliber allowed?
    5) Are you allowed to carry any type of weapon in public? (not talking about firearms obviously).
    6) Do the laws differ in other parts of the UK?

Thanks.
    Here you go:

1) Generally, how long does it take to acquire a firearms license? - an application for a Fire-Arms License takes on average 8-10 weeks for grant or renewal but can take nearly 12 months in some force areas, it lasts for 5 years.
    2) What is the maximum number of rounds you can have in a firearm? This depends on what you are licensed for, standard shotgun certificate covers you for a 2+1 semi auto as maximum, the mag size is down to what you can buy, so CZ rimfire is 10 shot mag and a .22lr is as bigger drum mag as you get. centrefire is only single shot so normally 5 shot maximum. Your license on grant will tell you your maximum you can hold and purchase at any one time.
    3) Are semi-automatic rifles/pump action shotguns legal, and how do you possess one? No semi- automatic rifles are not allowed except for .22lr & .22WMR. Yes shotguns are allowed as semi-auto but restricted to 2+1, also pump action shotguns are allowed also 2+1, .22lr pump action is also allowed but uncommon.
    4) What is the highest caliber allowed? The highest is the highest you can justifie, we do have long range 50bmg ranges over here and clubs .
    5) Are you allowed to carry any type of weapon in public? (not talking about firearms obviously). No, nothing at all. you must justifie why you have anything on you if stopped and searched etc.
    6) Do the laws differ in other parts of the UK? No we are the same across the country.

Hope this helps guys,

ATB

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by salop sniper View Post
    Here you go:

1) Generally, how long does it take to acquire a firearms license? - an application for a Fire-Arms License takes on average 8-10 weeks for grant or renewal but can take nearly 12 months in some force areas, it lasts for 5 years.
    2) What is the maximum number of rounds you can have in a firearm? This depends on what you are licensed for, standard shotgun certificate covers you for a 2+1 semi auto as maximum, the mag size is down to what you can buy, so CZ rimfire is 10 shot mag and a .22lr is as bigger drum mag as you get. centrefire is only single shot so normally 5 shot maximum. Your license on grant will tell you your maximum you can hold and purchase at any one time.
    3) Are semi-automatic rifles/pump action shotguns legal, and how do you possess one? No semi- automatic rifles are not allowed except for .22lr & .22WMR. Yes shotguns are allowed as semi-auto but restricted to 2+1, also pump action shotguns are allowed also 2+1, .22lr pump action is also allowed but uncommon.
    4) What is the highest caliber allowed? The highest is the highest you can justifie, we do have long range 50bmg ranges over here and clubs .
    5) Are you allowed to carry any type of weapon in public? (not talking about firearms obviously). No, nothing at all. you must justifie why you have anything on you if stopped and searched etc.
    6) Do the laws differ in other parts of the UK? No we are the same across the country.

Hope this helps guys,

ATB

Matt
    Welcome to the forum and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona salop sniper!

Just one question: what are the stop-and-search laws there?
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 03-28-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Thanks for your help, Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona salop sniper!

Just one question: what are the stop-and-search laws there?
    Your open to be searched at any time although the officer should have reasonable grounds, am not a police officer so cant quote chapter and verse.
    How ever there are so few police in the uk and they are so thinly spread with so much paperwork etc that your unlikely to ever get stopped unless you have done something or drawn attention to yourself.

In some areas in a bid to stop knife crime the police will do random stop and search`s in a bid to get knives off the street (you cant just have a knife or anything that is or could be used as or conceived as a weapon). Personally I have nothing to hide so have no problem with being searched and I would also be suspcious of anyone not wanting to be searched as I would feel they had something to hide.

As a legal & licensed shotgun and firearms holder in the UK I have to tell you that generally it feels like 98% of our population would prefer it if no one other than the military had firearms and enven less of the police than what we have currently, the UK is not a gun/firearm friendly place sadly and it is very much a nanny state am very sad to say.

ATB

Matt

Your open to be searched at any time although the officer should have reasonable grounds, am not a police officer so cant quote chapter and verse.
    How ever there are so few police in the uk and they are so thinly spread with so much paperwork etc that your unlikely to ever get stopped unless you have done something or drawn attention to yourself.

In some areas in a bid to stop knife crime the police will do random stop and search`s in a bid to get knives off the street (you cant just have a knife or anything that is or could be used as or conceived as a weapon). Personally I have nothing to hide so have no problem with being searched and I would also be suspcious of anyone not wanting to be searched as I would feel they had something to hide.

As a legal & licensed shotgun and firearms holder in the UK I have to tell you that generally it feels like 98% of our population would prefer it if no one other than the military had firearms and enven less of the police than what we have currently, the UK is not a gun/firearm friendly place sadly and it is very much a nanny state am very sad to say.

ATB

Matt
    Can you just see it now, Gordon Ramsey and his set of chef knifes running down the street as he is being chased by a couple of officers trying to arrest him for having sharp things that cut....sad

Banned
    Yet our Common Law is based predominately on decisions from that source going back some 400 years.
    Back even further to the Magna Carta ! 1215 AD

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Personally I have nothing to hide so have no problem with being searched and I would also be suspcious of anyone not wanting to be searched as I would feel they had something to hide.

That idea sets a dangerous president and is the idea of guilty before being proved innocent. If a police officer decides to search me he will either provide probable cause or he won't do it. "I don't know what you have on you" isn't reasonable and also unlawful.

An officer must comply with several guidelines prior to and during a stop and search,

• the officer must tell the person the grounds for the search
    • the officer must inform them of the object of search (to find drugs, offensive weapon etc)
    • the officer must show the person their warrant card if in plain clothes or requested;
    • the officer must tell the person their identity;
    • the officer must also tell the person to which station they are attached,
    • the officer must tell the person that they are being detained for the purpose of the search

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q487.htm
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    That idea sets a dangerous president and is the idea of guilty before being proved innocent. If a police officer decides to search me he will either provide probable cause or he won't do it. "I don't know what you have on you" isn't reasonable and also unlawful.
    Know that you meant a dangerous "precedent."

WE in the USA have a dangerous president.

He would make our laws so stringent that we would wish we enjoyed your RKBA freedoms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast