Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: MIL still thinks the BG's will obey NO GUN signs

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    12

    MIL still thinks the BG's will obey NO GUN signs

    Mother-In-Law has known me for about 10 years now. She is a fairly typical "Anti" but since I OC so much, she can not hide and pretend that guns do not exist.

    I came home from a Hospital Pre-Employment drug test today and she (lives with us) sees my gun and says, "Can't have that in the hospital can you?"

    We have had (many, many times) the discussion about private property rights and No Gun signs before. I opted not to go there today so all I said was, "Nope, they do not allow guns on the property (it is signed and I do respect a property owners wishes)." Which elicited the response, "GOOD! Crazies could go in there and shoot up the place."

    I couldn't let it go so like an insane person (the definition of doing something repeatedly and never getting, but expecting a different outcome) I asked her (for the umpteenth time) if a BG would have locked his/her weapon in the vehicle like I did? She gave her usual answer (yeah....) which means she is not even contemplating the argument I put forth to her.

    SHE JUST FRELLING does not get it.

    I know I am preaching to the choir but I just had to vent

    (BTW, this from a woman who has had her back enclosed porch broken into. Only reason they did not go into the house {not this house} was because of the dogs we believe)

  2. #2
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Publican View Post
    Mother-In-Law has known me for about 10 years now. She is a fairly typical "Anti" but since I OC so much, she can not hide and pretend that guns do not exist.

    I came home from a Hospital Pre-Employment drug test today and she (lives with us) sees my gun and says, "Can't have that in the hospital can you?"

    We have had (many, many times) the discussion about private property rights and No Gun signs before. I opted not to go there today so all I said was, "Nope, they do not allow guns on the property (it is signed and I do respect a property owners wishes)." Which elicited the response, "GOOD! Crazies could go in there and shoot up the place."

    I couldn't let it go so like an insane person (the definition of doing something repeatedly and never getting, but expecting a different outcome) I asked her (for the umpteenth time) if a BG would have locked his/her weapon in the vehicle like I did? She gave her usual answer (yeah....) which means she is not even contemplating the argument I put forth to her.

    SHE JUST FRELLING does not get it.

    I know I am preaching to the choir but I just had to vent

    (BTW, this from a woman who has had her back enclosed porch broken into. Only reason they did not go into the house {not this house} was because of the dogs we believe)
    It is amazing the fear some people have of guns. They actually think that guns can go boom all by themselves, and let this fear cloud their judgement. It is also amazing that some of these people are otherwise intelligent.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Linn County, Iowa
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    It is amazing the fear some people have of guns. They actually think that guns can go boom all by themselves, and let this fear cloud their judgement. It is also amazing that some of these people are otherwise intelligent.
    Should have responded "Sure I can, signs mean nothing and there is no penalty for carrying there." It may have made her rethink.

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Publican View Post
    ...(BTW, this from a woman who has had her back enclosed porch broken into...
    Sheesh. Why in the world haven't you told her to put "No forced entry" signs up??

    What kind of a son-in-law are you?

  5. #5
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Sheesh. Why in the world haven't you told her to put "No forced entry" signs up??

    What kind of a son-in-law are you?
    Now that's funny. Reminds me of this:

    Howard's Mother: Who's there? Are you a sex criminal!?
    Howard: Sex criminals don't have KEYS MA!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Sheesh. Why in the world haven't you told her to put "No forced entry" signs up??

    What kind of a son-in-law are you?
    BAD, very very bad....since we disagree on soo much

  7. #7
    Regular Member Sir Diealotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Ky
    Posts
    253
    She could always choose to live somewhere else

    Some sheeple are so brainwashed and brow beaten that no amount of stats or facts will sway his/her opinions.
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

    Thomas Paine

  8. #8
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Change the question up on her a little. Ask her if she believes the criminal would have broken into her house if she would have had a "no criminal activity" sign posted around her property. This will make her realize that signs mean nothing, and criminals are criminals because they disobey the law and any signs that tell them to not do something.

    Let her know that if someone is willing to kill innocent people, then they are willing to disobey a little piece of plastic that forbids them from carrying their gun into a specific place. Murder is the worst crime that has ever existed; carrying a firearm past a "no weapons" sign isn't even a crime in most places.

    Make her bring logic into the equation when discussing these situations. Anyone willing to commit murder doesn't give a care about any sign, what someone wants, what the law says or anything else.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Publican View Post
    (BTW, this from a woman who has had her back enclosed porch broken into. Only reason they did not go into the house {not this house} was because of the dogs we believe)
    Have you asked her whether a sign forbidding it would have prevented this break-in?

  10. #10
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    TOO many folks look at how THEY would respond to a specific situation and assume that EVERYONE ELSE will respond in the same manner.... "I obey the law, so all others will obey the law" instead of taking off the rose colored glasses and seeing that each of us have a choice in how we will each act and/or react.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    255
    id ask her how the school shootings happen.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    12

    Logic does not apply

    Logic does not apply to this woman, trust me. ALL good ideas if I was arguing with an open minded person. You all know how Anti's are.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Anubis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Arapahoe County CO, ,
    Posts
    451
    "MIL still thinks the BG's will obey NO GUN signs"

    Only thing that even might work is to find a case in the news where there was a robbery or gun crime in a place posted no-carry. That would prove her view is incorrect.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    You should ask the MIL to move in .... lol

  15. #15
    Regular Member cirrusly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    It is amazing the fear some people have of guns. They actually think that guns can go boom all by themselves, and let this fear cloud their judgement. It is also amazing that some of these people are otherwise intelligent.
    So true. A good friend of mine from Maryland is outspokenly against my OC (in Virginia- no MD pass for me!)

    "Why should my constitutional, God given right to bear arms not be respected?" His answer "I'm just not comfortable with someone sitting next to me at a bar or restaurant having a gun." I have counted with- "If I'm not comfortable with someone's free speech, or religion, should we make a law to stop them?" I always get a response that is emotional and skirts the question.

    But other than his anti-2A views he's a reasonable and smart person. He allows his lack of knowledge of firearms and irrational fear to drive his logic.

    But it doesn't affect his decision to spend time with me. When a group of us went camping at Virginia Beach State Park last summer, (I'm not big into camping but I made an exception for VA beach), he was aware I had a holstered handgun in the tent and OC during the day when we were on the beach- and he isn't phased by it. Maybe because he knows me personally he doesn't have that irrational fear?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •