• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

12 yr old shoots man dead at shooting range

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=181_1381820483

I really hope this wasn't in America and it doesn't appear as though it is.

At least when I was 12 I was smarter than this dumb ass kid and the dumb ass adult instructor.

Conclude from the link this happened outside of Moscow = Russia.

The Volokolamsk Highway stretches 120 km from Moscow encompassing the two ancient monastery towns of Istra and Volokolamsk.
http://google.com/books?id=E0s6NbfU...epage&q=where is Volokolamsk Highway,&f=false

onus

b0neZ

A callous indifference is still calloused - misplaced humor doesn't change that.

All concerned have family and friends who have lost something not replaceable.

^That

Might I add that the kid who pressed the trigger will be scarred for life.

Will he ever trust another person when they tell him something?

Will he ever have confidence around firearms again?

Will he suffer PTSD?

Maverick9

I have to blame the instructor. Never hand or give a loaded firearm to anyone, ever. When I help my partner at the range I give her the handgun racked open and I hand her the magazine separately (when, for example she's going to shoot the gun I brought). To me it's instinctive.

Shame on David for making a joke. Sympathy to all involved.

OC for ME

davidmcbeth has no shame. davidmcbeth has very little class, and even less in the scruples department. But, we get what we see, he does not hide his shameless, classless, scruplesless self.

MKEgal

Several points of fail, both from the kid & the instructor.
But I disagree that ensuring the gun was not loaded is one of them.
A gun sitting on a table is perfectly safe & doesn't need to be unloaded.

Instructor:
did not teach firearm safety
did not demonstrate firearm safety
allowed / told kid to handle rifle with people downrange
did not stay close enough to control what the kid was doing with the rifle

Kid:
treating a gun like a toy
ignoring rules 1, 2, & 3

instructor asked the boy to take the rifle in his hands, without making sure that the weapon at this point was not loaded
And ignoring the fact that there were people downrange.

the child apparently jokingly took aim at the people in front of him, and pulled the trigger, fatally hitting the family friend in the head and killing him instantly
An example of ignoring all 3 rules at once, and what can happen when you do.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Several points of fail, both from the kid & the instructor.
But I disagree that ensuring the gun was not loaded is one of them.
A gun sitting on a table is perfectly safe & doesn't need to be unloaded.

Instructor:
did not teach firearm safety
did not demonstrate firearm safety
allowed / told kid to handle rifle with people downrange
did not stay close enough to control what the kid was doing with the rifle

Kid:
treating a gun like a toy
ignoring rules 1, 2, & 3

And ignoring the fact that there were people downrange.

An example of ignoring all 3 rules at once, and what can happen when you do.

SOP

• All guns will be cleared w/action open & no guns touched when anyone is going down range - always.
  • No gun to be handled until line is declared "hot" again - not ever.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Only if it said something bad about a cop or something a bad cop did....crap I implied there might be a bad cop out there someplace. Crap, I'm sure I will end up cannon fodder for that suggestion.
There are bad firemen, paramedics, drivers, pilots, spouses, etc, ad nasium - they however are beyong the daily scope of OCDO.

When a routine of finding and posting a series of such becomes obvious (particularly from certain users), it will not be ignored.

Things have changed in many ways regarding the beat cop (Officer Friendly) - think we all contributed to that change BUT that is more off-topic than not.

stealthyeliminator

There are bad firemen, paramedics, drivers, pilots, spouses, etc, ad nasium - they however are beyong the daily scope of OCDO.

When a routine of finding and posting a series of such becomes obvious (particularly from certain users), it will not be ignored.

Things have changed in many ways regarding the beat cop (Officer Friendly) - think we all contributed to that change BUT that is more off-topic than not.

1. I do not have a history of posting stories that present LEOs in a negative light.

2. The thread I created was factual, or at least simply quotational, I gave no opinion in it what-so-ever.

3. The story presented law enforcement in a positive light.

4. Your justification for the closure of my thread is egregiously incorrect, at best.

5. I am awaiting a response from administration regarding your egregious and borderline abusive moderation.

6. You engaged our mild dissent and escalated the discourse to the level of argument - it's up to you to shut it down and refocus this thread back to it's original topic. That is your responsibility as a moderator, and IMO you're setting a bad example by engaging in argument that directs conversation far away from the original topic.

davidmcbeth

Banned
SOP

• All guns will be cleared w/action open & no guns touched when anyone is going down range - always.
  • No gun to be handled until line is declared "hot" again - not ever.

Good advice ... when at a range with a range officer .. I do not take his word that the range is clear .. I double check..I'm sure any range officer would appreciate such action as well.

Last edited:

eye95

...5. I am awaiting a response from administration regarding your egregious and borderline abusive moderation...

Don't hold your breath.

While folks are referred to the admins to complain about the moderation, those complaints seem to end up in the round file and are unaddressed.

This particular moderator gets a lot of complaints from several users. IMO, great poster and lousy moderator.

Awaits moderation of this post.

Maverick9

davidmcbeth has no shame. davidmcbeth has very little class, and even less in the scruples department. But, we get what we see, he does not hide his shameless, classless, scruplesless self.

Think what you might, having David here is a good thing. Maybe like having some Tabasco sauce on your breakfast eggs, or pepper spray in the face to keep you alert and for me, adding some humor.