• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Keeping the next gerneration from becoming open carriers.....

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Good luck with that. :lol:

They can swim against the current, though. Heck, why should I care if they want to tire themselves out?

Edit: As I said in my comment, anyone who differentiates "gun violence" from simple violence has already made their agenda – and lack of objectivity – evident.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Good luck with that. :lol:

They can swim against the current, though. Heck, why should I care if they want to tire themselves out?

Edit: As I said in my comment, anyone who differentiates "gun violence" from simple violence has already made their agenda – and lack of objectivity – evident.

that's as silly as saying someone who differentiates "drunk driving" from simple traffic violations has an extreme agenda. gun violence is different then simply violence. when guns are used in violence fatality is is much higher, and guns allow one person to inflict violence in safety on large groups of unarmed people.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
that's as silly as saying someone who differentiates "drunk driving" from simple traffic violations has an extreme agenda. gun violence is different then simply violence. when guns are used in violence fatality is is much higher, and guns allow one person to inflict violence in safety on large groups of unarmed people.

Meh. This is an uninteresting argument. Maybe later...

For now: I disagree.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Like fertilizer violence?

EMNofSeattle

Like fertilizer violence?

Would likely fall under terrorism or using a weapon of mass destruction, or maybe arson depending upon how the fertilizer is used, but it would not be considered "simple violence" nor would anyone claim using a fertilizer bomb is no different then a DV suspect smacking someone around.... Both are violent, but they're different categories of said.

Washington already considers gun violence to be different, hence we have the "hard time for armed crime" law and enhanced sentencing for possessing a firearm while committing a crime.... That law is written near exclusively to deal with "gun violence" so the discussion is already more then academic

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Oh, good grief. This is what happens when young'ns miss out on seeing it happen. And, conflate things.

The term gun-violence and stiff sentences for crimes while armed with a gun are only indirectly related.

The only people who harp on gun-violence are the anti-gunners. And, their game is not stiff sentences for crimes committed while armed with guns. Their game is gun control, or more precisely, gun denial--denying everybody the possession and use of guns.

The tough-on-crime gun laws started, oh, back in the 1980s or so. As much as anything, these were promoted as being tough on criminals by going after them on another front, a way to give them longer sentences. Prior to that, about the only gun-related charge was carrying concealed, often a misdemeanor.

The anti-gunners aren't much interested in criminal misuse. They howl about it as a justification; but you don't see them promoting stiffer sentences. Their focus is denying guns to everybody.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Oh, good grief. This is what happens when young'ns miss out on seeing it happen. And, conflate things.

The term gun-violence and stiff sentences for crimes while armed with a gun are only indirectly related.

The only people who harp on gun-violence are the anti-gunners. And, their game is not stiff sentences for crimes committed while armed with guns. Their game is gun control, or more precisely, gun denial--denying everybody the possession and use of guns.

The tough-on-crime gun laws started, oh, back in the 1980s or so. As much as anything, these were promoted as being tough on criminals by going after them on another front, a way to give them longer sentences. Prior to that, about the only gun-related charge was carrying concealed, often a misdemeanor.

The anti-gunners aren't much interested in criminal misuse. They howl about it as a justification; but you don't see them promoting stiffer sentences. Their focus is denying guns to everybody.

But that's never what I disputed, I disputed Marshauls contention that violence committed with a firearm is no different then violence committed without one, that statement is false.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
But that's never what I disputed, I disputed Marshauls contention that violence committed with a firearm is no different then violence committed without one, that statement is false.

That's not what I said.

I said anyone who is focusing on specifically gun violence, rather than the factors which engender violence itself (or ways to reduce violence itself) have made their bias, and agenda, clear.

Guns are not a causal factor in violence. At best they are an allowing factor, and I would go so far as to say usually not even that.

EMNofSeattle

That's not what I said.

I said anyone who is focusing on specifically gun violence, rather than the factors which engender violence itself (or ways to reduce violence itself) have made their bias, and agenda, clear.

Guns are not a causal factor in violence. At best they are an allowing factor, and I would go so far as to say usually not even that.

They are a huge allowing factor. UK has a rate of violent crime almost double ours and a rate of homicide not even half of ours. Firearms are vastly more lethal then hands and feet and contact weapons. Studying the proximate causes of violence with firearms is certainly legitimate.

In the Czech Republic most private citizens can own guns, they have owner licensing and registration, they had to in order to join the eurozone, but other then that there is little restrictions on what a citizen can own and any citizen can carry a concealed weapon if they have a self defense license, which is issued to all who qualify. Shall issue if you will. AR-15s, saturday night specials, handguns,SBRs, standard cap mags, all legal with no special restrictions.

In Czech Republic violent crime is very rare and so is crime committed wi firearms.

So no firearms are not a casual factor, but the differences between two progun countries (relatively speaking) show that there is a contrast and studying the differences of gun violence in our country when compared to ones with similar legal restrictions on guns is certainly legitimate, and no where in the lecture did I hear the lecturer advocate new gun control laws...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
They are a huge allowing factor. UK has a rate of violent crime almost double ours and a rate of homicide not even half of ours. Firearms are vastly more lethal then hands and feet and contact weapons. Studying the proximate causes of violence with firearms is certainly legitimate.

In the Czech Republic most private citizens can own guns, they have owner licensing and registration, they had to in order to join the eurozone, but other then that there is little restrictions on what a citizen can own and any citizen can carry a concealed weapon if they have a self defense license, which is issued to all who qualify. Shall issue if you will. AR-15s, saturday night specials, handguns,SBRs, standard cap mags, all legal with no special restrictions.

In Czech Republic violent crime is very rare and so is crime committed wi firearms.

So no firearms are not a casual factor, but the differences between two progun countries (relatively speaking) show that there is a contrast and studying the differences of gun violence in our country when compared to ones with similar legal restrictions on guns is certainly legitimate, and no where in the lecture did I hear the lecturer advocate new gun control laws...

Well, I'm glad I don't have to argue the point that widespread and lightly regulated gun ownership is not a good predictor for violence.

This being the case, I see little value in differentiating "gun violence" from other violence as a matter of public policy.

sudden valley gunner

Wrong....violence is violence murder is murder, it matters not whether the crime was committed with a gun or a baseball bat.

A surprising amount of people survive being shot. Your statement caters to the anti's and is a ridiculous argument that the gun as a privilege class masquerading as gun rights folks use.

Because more people may like to use the gun as a tool, does not mean it is "different".

Learn to learn and dig deeper. UK has had a historical lower rate of homicide it doesn't have anything to do with guns. New York restricted guns long before London so guns were more accessible in London, the fact that you are mugged and not killed in London but maybe in a different cultural setting doesn't mean the crime or death has anything to do with guns.

You are right there are no casual factor with guns so why mention it? It may be cultural or that the penalties by the government less severe so the people are not as motivated by a governmental moral hazard to commit a greater atrocity.

Making a leap that violence committed with a gun is different leads to erroneous anti gun thinking of "gun enhancements" which then demeans the crime committed against a person who is killed or raped or mugged without a gun.

Jeff Hayes

Wrong....violence is violence murder is murder, it matters not whether the crime was committed with a gun or a baseball bat.

A surprising amount of people survive being shot. Your statement caters to the anti's and is a ridiculous argument that the gun as a privilege class masquerading as gun rights folks use.

Because more people may like to use the gun as a tool, does not mean it is "different".

Learn to learn and dig deeper. UK has had a historical lower rate of homicide it doesn't have anything to do with guns. New York restricted guns long before London so guns were more accessible in London, the fact that you are mugged and not killed in London but maybe in a different cultural setting doesn't mean the crime or death has anything to do with guns.

You are right there are no casual factor with guns so why mention it? It may be cultural or that the penalties by the government less severe so the people are not as motivated by a governmental moral hazard to commit a greater atrocity.

Making a leap that violence committed with a gun is different leads to erroneous anti gun thinking of "gun enhancements" which then demeans the crime committed against a person who is killed or raped or mugged without a gun.

+ 1 you are dealing with the product of our public school system indoctrination and I predict you will not get very far it is a hard cycle to break. Lets stand back and let him have a bad experience or two with a Cop and then he may start thinking differently unless of course he blames himself, LOL

sudden valley gunner

+ 1 you are dealing with the product of our public school system indoctrination and I predict you will not get very far it is a hard cycle to break. Lets stand back and let him have a bad experience or two with a Cop and then he may start thinking differently unless of course he blames himself, LOL

+1

Or puts cops on such a pedestal that he'll rationalize any action by them as justified no matter how unconstitutional or anti freedom. Something in common with PALO, who of course is now a cop.

Last edited:

Dain Bramage

Wrong....violence is violence murder is murder.

Actually, the Nazis (I know...Godwin's Law) found gun violence way too inefficient. To industrialize murder, they had to break out the IBM punch card machines, organize their resources, and basically make "killing factories".

IMHO, anybody railing against "gun violence" as a special case is a tool of the antis.