• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member...lifestyle change

jdmccay

Hi all. I couldn't find a "New member introduction" section, so I figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself here.

I'm a student at CSU, living up in Windsor, and started OCing this June. So far I haven't had any noteworthy encounters aside from the occasional "why do you have that?!" or "Are you a cop?"

I did have one gentleman thank me for having a CC permit...after unsuccessfully trying to explain that you don't need a CC permit to OC (hence the term concealed carry)...I just conceded to accepting the thank you and going about my way.

Anyhow, I haven't really come across any other OCers in the real world as of yet, but am excited to meet some other like-minded folks that carry open.

To open it up, what is the biggest lifestyle change you guys and gals have had to make in order to OC? Perhaps the biggest for me is the fact that I've had to start researching whether or not a business is OC friendly before I leave the house to go somewhere.

Thanks

anthonyl79

Loveland

I have been kicking it around for sometime now after seeing another gentlemen OC at Petsmart. I've been carrying for over a month now in Loveland and have yet to go somewhere that won't let you carry. I have not noticed anyone else carrying either in the area.

The biggest lifestyle change for me was getting the wife use to being around a firearm. Now that she is use to it we have her signed up for pistol classes and wants to CC. Whenever we leave the house it goes with us.

jdmccay

I have been kicking it around for sometime now after seeing another gentlemen OC at Petsmart. I've been carrying for over a month now in Loveland and have yet to go somewhere that won't let you carry. I have not noticed anyone else carrying either in the area.

The biggest lifestyle change for me was getting the wife use to being around a firearm. Now that she is use to it we have her signed up for pistol classes and wants to CC. Whenever we leave the house it goes with us.

I've found the same thing as well. BBW and Sbux are a couple anti-gunners that I've found, but most of the places I go (grocery store, gas station, etc) seem to allow it (or at least don't disallow it).

The city of Golden is another one I've had trouble with. I called the Golden PD and the Lakewood PD to ask about it. Lakewood was really helpful and said I might get contacted by a LEO, but as long as I'm not breaking the law there shouldn't be a problem. Golden, on the other hand, said...

"It's illegal to open carry in Golden. We don't want it in our town, and if we get called we'll arrest you."

Gotta love that complete disregard for state and federal law, don't ya? :cry:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
"It's illegal to open carry in Golden. We don't want it in our town, and if we get called we'll arrest you."

Gotta love that complete disregard for state and federal law, don't ya? :cry:

Heard a distinct "kaa-ching" there. :cool:

jdmccay

@Grapeshot

If you've got the money to pay for the bail, the lawyer, and the missed wages, I'd be all in. Therein lies the problem. I know they could be sued for bookoo dollars, but that won't do me much good if I'm in jail.

Maybe someday I'll work up the gumption to challenge 'em. :lol:

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
@Grapeshot

If you've got the money to pay for the bail, the lawyer, and the missed wages, I'd be all in. Therein lies the problem. I know they could be sued for bookoo dollars, but that won't do me much good if I'm in jail.

Wasn't suggesting that you fall on your sword or take a hit for the team.

Even w/o any publicly available statement from that municipality, if they violate state or federal law, they open the door to suit by enforcing this "policy."

OTOH - if the "policy" is provable, then I suggest that you already have standing under color of law depriving you (via fear of arrest) of that which is otherwise legal.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
@Grapeshot

Remember that both Heller/I] and MacDonald were about guys who did not fall on their swords, but about guys who complained that IF they exercised thrir right they would be impaled by legislation that violated their right to exercise their right. (Yes, you read that correctly.)

While you may not get SAF to back your case, there are quite possibly a few attorneys in town that understand the contingency fee basis of making money off of sure things. Your state bar association probably has a program that sets up a 15- or 30-minute no-charge consultation. Do check with the folks on this sub-forum to find out who is truely Pro-2A as opposed to someone who says so just to see if they can drive some business their way. (And just because an attorney owns a gun, hunts, or otherwise shoots does not mean he is pro-2A. Lots of Fudds out there.)

stay safe.

jdmccay

As per the Golden Municipal Code: http://sitetools.cityofgolden.net/CodePrint.asp?CodeID=454

1. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, wear about their person or under their clothes, or concealed about their person, any firearm, handgun or mechanical gun.

2. The prohibition of wearing a handgun under one’s clothes or concealing a handgun upon oneself shall not apply to any person in possession of valid state concealed handgun permit and in compliance with federal, state or local laws and regulations.

3. The prohibition of carrying or concealing a handgun shall not apply to any person carrying or concealing a handgun within a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for the lawful protection of ones person or property while traveling.

4. It shall be an affirmative defense to this section that the weapon was carried or concealed by such person;

(a) In defense of home, person or property, when in such home when there is a direct and immediate threat thereto;

(b) In aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned;

(c) For use in the course of lawful hunting activities or for transportation in the legitimate sporting use of such weapons, including shooting matches or other target shooting, or trap or skeet shooting, provided that all such weapons being so used shall be unloaded when carried or transported to or from such hunting trip or place of sporting use;

(d) When such person is a collector or licensed dealer displaying or transporting such weapon for display or sale, or a citizen transporting such weapon for purpose of sale or repair to or from a place of sale or repair provided that all firearms so displayed or transported shall be unloaded at all times; or

(e) While moving personal property as part of a re-location to a new residence.

Is that standing enough?:p

eBratt

Hey, you're just a couple minutes north of me. I OC in Greeley, where I live, fairly frequently and have never had a problem once. I have also OCed in Loveland, FC, Windsor, and a host of other areas around and no one has said a negative word. I have run into one other OCer who didn't know about this forum as we were both leaving Lowe's.

As for Golden, they are not part of Denver so it is my understanding that they are subject to pre-emption. I OCed there on Easter weekend this year including at the city park with the big kids' Easter egg hunt and no one said a word, no contact at all. Take that for what it is worth.

Welcome to the area. Hope to run into you sometime.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As per the Golden Municipal Code: http://sitetools.cityofgolden.net/CodePrint.asp?CodeID=454
1. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, wear about their person or under their clothes, or concealed about their person, any firearm, handgun or mechanical gun.

2. The prohibition of wearing a handgun under one’s clothes or concealing a handgun upon oneself shall not apply to any person in possession of valid state concealed handgun permit and in compliance with federal, state or local laws and regulations.

3. The prohibition of carrying or concealing a handgun shall not apply to any person carrying or concealing a handgun within a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for the lawful protection of ones person or property while traveling.

4. It shall be an affirmative defense to this section that the weapon was carried or concealed by such person;

(a) In defense of home, person or property, when in such home when there is a direct and immediate threat thereto;

(b) In aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned;

(c) For use in the course of lawful hunting activities or for transportation in the legitimate sporting use of such weapons, including shooting matches or other target shooting, or trap or skeet shooting, provided that all such weapons being so used shall be unloaded when carried or transported to or from such hunting trip or place of sporting use;

(d) When such person is a collector or licensed dealer displaying or transporting such weapon for display or sale, or a citizen transporting such weapon for purpose of sale or repair to or from a place of sale or repair provided that all firearms so displayed or transported shall be unloaded at all times; or

(e) While moving personal property as part of a re-location to a new residence.

Is that standing enough?:p

Nope.

That ordinance addresses carry concealed and transporting. It never mentions OC and therefore does not limit/restrict that method of carry, which is to what user jdmccay and my subsequent reply referred.

Last edited:

eBratt

I don't know about that interpretation above. This is the sentence in question:

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, wear about their person or under their clothes, or concealed about their person, any firearm, handgun or mechanical gun.

The sentence appears to be grammatically incorrect or this is legaleese that I am not familiar with. The "or" just before "concealed" would seem to indicate there is a series of conditions that all stand independent of one another. If this is the case, then the individual conditions would be as follows:
1. Carry
2. Wear about their person or under their clothes
3. Concealed about their person

In that case, the first two conditions work nicely when separating out into individual sentences:
1. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any firearm, handgun or mechanical gun.
2. It shall be unlawful for any person to wear about their person or under their clothes any firearm, handgun or mechanical gun.

The third ends up grammatically wrong.
3. It shall be unlawful for any person to concealed about their person, any firearm, handgun or mechanical gun.

I don't see how it could be interpreted in a grammatically correct way, though. There's a misplaced comma, missing word or words, or flat out mistake in the sentence somewhere. Such as:

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry[strike], wear[/strike] about their person, [strike]or[/strike] under their clothes, or concealed about their person, any firearm, handgun or mechanical gun.

OR

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry[strike],[/strike] or wear about their person,[strike] or[/strike] under their clothes, or concealed about their person, any firearm, handgun or mechanical gun.

Or am I missing something?

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
Golden, and many others, have simply never cleaned up their books. Big surprise, I know.

Colorado Revised Statutes

CRS 29-11.7-103. Regulation - type of firearm - prohibited.
A local government may not enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, or possess under state or federal law. Any such ordinance, regulation, or other law enacted by a local government prior to March 18, 2003, is void and unenforceable.

Carry on.

Denver is exempt based on being a home rule city. Google it and the Meyer decision for more info.

Saxxon

Golden has knowingly and willfully stated they will violate the pre-emption law and state constitution. Talk to a firearms attorney beforehand (wise in any case, that way if you ever have a problem you aren't in a cold cell, cold calling for help). You may be able to find one willing to take on Golden on a "what if" basis or by direct action should you be arrested.

If you are and aren't violent or uncooperative, there is no reason for them to hold you for any length of time. The most likely scenario is a ticket and ROR (you may have to walk back to your vehicle/home).

I have a civil case ongoing over circumstances similar (lawful OC but arrested anyway). It takes people and attorneys pushing back to make these cities know that our rights are not up for whimsical interpretation and denial.

jdmccay

Gotcha. Well until then, I've let people who are pro 2a to not spend their money in Golden. Lakewood is just a hop skip and a jump away, and whenever I visit the area I don't bother giving Golden my tax dollars.

Another lifestyle change that's taken some getting used to

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk