• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Summit County Gun Show Counter Protest #2! Lets make it huge! October 26!

NEOOpenCarry

Our friends at the Summit County Progressive Democrats have decided to try and protest our gun show in Summit County again. Last time there were about 15 people from their group and 15 people from our group. We would like to double our numbers for this showing! We received so much positive support last time and made people truly see how the majority feel about our gun shows in Ohio! This time we want to go big! Lets pack as many people here as possible! We want long guns, hand guns, flags, banners, signs, pro 2A clothes etc! Lets pack both sides of the street and drown out the people who want to steal our freedoms out from under us!

We will be meeting on October 26th (Saturday) just inside the entrance to the Summit County Fairgrounds, in the parking lot right there by the soccer fields. We will meet at 10:30am and will probably be out there until about 12:30pm. Please share this event and invite your friends!

Here is the link to the video of the last counter protest there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKszu_vCLCghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKszu_vCLCg

Here is the link to the event for RSVPing if you would like to!

https://www.facebook.com/events/calendar#!/events/185171125001928/?ref_dashboard_filter=calendar

davidmcbeth

Banned
Watched the counter-protest video ; expected results of folks going into a gun show. Tape their presentation and responses.

I'm sure if someone held them up at knife-point and stole all their money and clothing, they would do a 180 turn on RBKA...

NEOOpenCarry

Here is the link to the video of the event! We were counter protesting against the Summit County Progressive Democrats who want to take away our gun show and gun rights. We decided to go try to have a calm rational discussion with them and they called the police on us who showed up after they told them we were "threatening them with automatic weapons!"

The video speaks for itself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsobI5SUiEc

davidmcbeth

Banned
"the same lady that cried that you killed kids in Akron"...

She would have cried more if I told her my military unit killed lots of children ... and the unit got medals ...
just to yank her chain...

Children grow up ... best to protect their rights now since they cannot ...

You guys were very nice and pleasant ....

Last edited:

eye95

I'm sorry that I must say this, but, bad move.

I know that we gun rights advocates will generally cheer on what you did.

The antis viewing the video will say horrible things about you for talking to the antis at the show, especially while *gasp* armed.

Neither of those matter. It is the folks still on the fence who should be the object of our efforts. We want to sway them towards supporting gun rights. When they see you arguing with the antis, when they hear you wondering (while armed) if you chased them off, armed citizens will not be seen by the undecideds in a positive light.

The conversation is a great thing to have. However, having it in their place, unwelcome, and armed, is a bad PR move. And, from a moral perspective (admittedly not from a legal one), where they had set up their protest was their place. You should have respected it.

In Oberlin, we had wonderful conversations and recorded many of them. However, from the get, that was a place we chose to rally, and the antis chose to be out there with us. We did not go to them in a way that many (irrationally) would see as threatening. And it won't be just the antis seeing it as threatening. Many embers of that great "undecided" group would see (irrationally) what you did as threatening.

My advice? Always bear in mind how those not participating in your conversations, but listening and trying to make up their minds, will perceive your words and actions. IMO, most people trying to make up their minds on the issue will not perceive that tape in a favorable light.

Folks are going to disagree with what I wrote here. That's OK. I am hoping that many who read what I have written make wiser decisions in future encounters with antis. So, disagree away. I probably won't respond to most disagreeing posts. I just wanted to get this POV out there.

In general, though, great job organizing this event and braving the elements. I wish I could have been there with you again, but duty called. Carry on!