Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Is this a good Gun Show to attend if looking for carry pistols?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Kent County, Michigan
    Posts
    757

    Is this a good Gun Show to attend if looking for carry pistols?

    The show sponsor is Sport Shows Promotions Inc. and the show is billed as "The Original Grand Rapids,
    Gun & Knife Show".

    http://www.migunshows.com/grandmap.html

    I'd like to take my wife to her first gun show, but I want to make sure its a good venue to check out concealed carry pistols (multiple dealers with lots of selection) vs. a show that is mostly about long arms, antiques, knifes, memorabilia, etc.

    I understand that the show is likely to have a little bit of everything, but I just want to make sure we have a chance to check out a variety of new pistols.

    Also, if there are other Grand Rapids area shows (by different vendors) that we should know about, please post information, thanks!
    Last edited by OC4me; 10-17-2013 at 10:38 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    The show sponsor is Sport Shows Promotions Inc. and the show is billed as "The Original Grand Rapids,
    Gun & Knife Show".

    http://www.migunshows.com/grandmap.html

    I'd like to take my wife to her first gun show, but I want to make sure its a good venue to check out concealed carry pistols (multiple dealers with lots of selection) vs. a show that is mostly about long arms, antiques, knifes, memorabilia, etc.

    I understand that the show is likely to have a little bit of everything, but I just want to make sure we have a chance to check out a variety of new pistols.

    Also, if there are other Grand Rapids area shows (by different vendors) that we should know about, please post information, thanks!
    I think the selection is good. You will have to have any firearm in your possession tied, and unloaded to enter. They are not OC or CC friendly. somewhat thinking about going myself.
    Last edited by Raggs; 10-17-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    3
    I bought my Ruger SR9c at that show a couple years ago. Nice compact size 9mm pistol.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Kent County, Michigan
    Posts
    757
    Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll try to get over to the show on Saturday or Sunday!

    Is this show the only game (competition) that comes to town as far as gun shows are concerned?

  5. #5
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    Why would you want to patronize a show where you are not allowed to carry a firearm?


    Stay informed about MOC events in your area http://miopencarry.org/updates
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  6. #6
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll try to get over to the show on Saturday or Sunday!

    Is this show the only game (competition) that comes to town as far as gun shows are concerned?
    In the Grand Rapids area I believe so

    Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    Why would you want to patronize a show where you are not allowed to carry a firearm?


    Stay informed about MOC events in your area http://miopencarry.org/updates
    Because it is the only one in the Grand Rapids area and people do, on occasion, go places that don't allow firearms. Many employers don't allow firearms, and people who would like to carry choose to work there anyhow. I do not like doing business where I am not able to carry, but that is a choice for me to make, as it would be for any individual. Just because you wouldn't go does not mean that OC4me shouldn't
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  7. #7
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    I asked the OP a question not you Raggs further it is not the only show in GR and even further shows are in no way a good deal when shopping for guns.

    Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  8. #8
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    I asked the OP a question not you Raggs further it is not the only show in GR and even further shows are in no way a good deal when shopping for guns.

    Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    You asked a question in an open forum, please cite the other show in the area? and especially when this show is.
    Last edited by Raggs; 10-18-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  9. #9
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    J and J shows in Grand Rapids does allow OC BUT I haven't seen them at the deltaplex in a while. The 28th street show does not allow OC w/out a zip tied firearm and they want to hang on to your magazines....nor do they allow CC w/out being secured as previously stated.

    Regarding "deals" at gun shows in general, it is not impossible to buy a firearm or related accoutrements at reasonable prices. Best time to deal is on the last day when they may not be too keen on packing everything up.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 10-20-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  10. #10
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Why patronize businesses that think nothing of trampling human rights to make a buck? Personally, I carry for a reason; the need may arise at any moment; I'm not dropping my guard to possibly save a buck or two.

    That being said, buying at a gun show is a crap shoot. If you have a problem with your purchase, you can't just pop over to the brick & mortar shop where you made your purchase to ask questions & get help. Gypsy gun sellers have no skin in the game....

    There are many excellent establishments that carry a wide variety of firearms that DO NOT impede your basic human rights, and provide after sales service. Shop smart...not cheap.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Kent County, Michigan
    Posts
    757
    Ok, well I took my wife and two kids to the show on Sunday. It was a bit larger than I expected, but not quite as large as some other shows I'd been to down south. Well rounded show with a good number of concealed carry pistols available.

    My wife liked the S&W .380 with integrated laser (best show price was about $420). She didn't even care about the decent selection of concealed carry purses...it seems she wants to carry in a holster on her waistband (makes me happy). I almost walked home with a Chiappa Rhino .357 revolver (to back up my own primary carry .380 of course). Shortage of funds prevented both purchases. Will probably be picking up one of each those guns by early next year though once we save.

    Thanks for all the replies.
    Last edited by OC4me; 10-21-2013 at 12:35 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    Ok, well I took my wife and two kids to the show on Sunday. It was a bit larger than I expected, but not quite as large as some other shows I'd been to down south. Well rounded show with a good number of concealed carry pistols available.

    My wife liked the S&W .380 with integrated laser (best show price was about $420). She didn't even care about the decent selection of concealed carry purses...it seems she wants to carry in a holster on her waistband (makes me happy). I almost walked home with a Chiappa Rhino .357 revolver (to back up my own primary carry .380 of course). Shortage of funds prevented both purchases. Will probably be picking up one of each those guns by early next year though once we save.

    Thanks for all the replies.
    Good deal. Glad you found what you were looking for.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  13. #13
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    I in no way mean to pester you, and I certainly don't want a caliber debate of any sort, but 380? I would suggest that you two look towards sub compact 9mm's at the same price point instead. There just isn't enough power in the 380 round to justify using it for general CC purposes.
    Last edited by Michigander; 10-21-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Kent County, Michigan
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    I in no way mean to pester you, and I certainly don't want a caliber debate of any sort, but 380? I would suggest that you two look towards sub compact 9mm's at the same price point instead. There just isn't enough power in the 380 round to justify using it for general CC purposes.
    I was just joking.... forgot to include the ;-)

  15. #15
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    I figured you were as who would backup a .380 with a .357 mag

    Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •