• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this a good Gun Show to attend if looking for carry pistols?

OC4me

The show sponsor is Sport Shows Promotions Inc. and the show is billed as "The Original Grand Rapids,
Gun & Knife Show".

http://www.migunshows.com/grandmap.html

I'd like to take my wife to her first gun show, but I want to make sure its a good venue to check out concealed carry pistols (multiple dealers with lots of selection) vs. a show that is mostly about long arms, antiques, knifes, memorabilia, etc.

I understand that the show is likely to have a little bit of everything, but I just want to make sure we have a chance to check out a variety of new pistols.

Also, if there are other Grand Rapids area shows (by different vendors) that we should know about, please post information, thanks!

Last edited:

Raggs

The show sponsor is Sport Shows Promotions Inc. and the show is billed as "The Original Grand Rapids,
Gun & Knife Show".

http://www.migunshows.com/grandmap.html

I'd like to take my wife to her first gun show, but I want to make sure its a good venue to check out concealed carry pistols (multiple dealers with lots of selection) vs. a show that is mostly about long arms, antiques, knifes, memorabilia, etc.

I understand that the show is likely to have a little bit of everything, but I just want to make sure we have a chance to check out a variety of new pistols.

Also, if there are other Grand Rapids area shows (by different vendors) that we should know about, please post information, thanks!

I think the selection is good. You will have to have any firearm in your possession tied, and unloaded to enter. They are not OC or CC friendly. somewhat thinking about going myself.

Last edited:

OC4me

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll try to get over to the show on Saturday or Sunday!

Is this show the only game (competition) that comes to town as far as gun shows are concerned?

Raggs

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll try to get over to the show on Saturday or Sunday!

Is this show the only game (competition) that comes to town as far as gun shows are concerned?

In the Grand Rapids area I believe so

Why would you want to patronize a show where you are not allowed to carry a firearm?

Stay informed about MOC events in your area http://miopencarry.org/updates

Because it is the only one in the Grand Rapids area and people do, on occasion, go places that don't allow firearms. Many employers don't allow firearms, and people who would like to carry choose to work there anyhow. I do not like doing business where I am not able to carry, but that is a choice for me to make, as it would be for any individual. Just because you wouldn't go does not mean that OC4me shouldn't

Raggs

I asked the OP a question not you Raggs further it is not the only show in GR and even further shows are in no way a good deal when shopping for guns.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

You asked a question in an open forum, please cite the other show in the area? and especially when this show is.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
J and J shows in Grand Rapids does allow OC BUT I haven't seen them at the deltaplex in a while. The 28th street show does not allow OC w/out a zip tied firearm and they want to hang on to your magazines....nor do they allow CC w/out being secured as previously stated.

Regarding "deals" at gun shows in general, it is not impossible to buy a firearm or related accoutrements at reasonable prices. Best time to deal is on the last day when they may not be too keen on packing everything up.

Last edited:

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Why patronize businesses that think nothing of trampling human rights to make a buck? Personally, I carry for a reason; the need may arise at any moment; I'm not dropping my guard to possibly save a buck or two.

That being said, buying at a gun show is a crap shoot. If you have a problem with your purchase, you can't just pop over to the brick & mortar shop where you made your purchase to ask questions & get help. Gypsy gun sellers have no skin in the game....

There are many excellent establishments that carry a wide variety of firearms that DO NOT impede your basic human rights, and provide after sales service. Shop smart...not cheap.

OC4me

Ok, well I took my wife and two kids to the show on Sunday. It was a bit larger than I expected, but not quite as large as some other shows I'd been to down south. Well rounded show with a good number of concealed carry pistols available.

My wife liked the S&W .380 with integrated laser (best show price was about $420). She didn't even care about the decent selection of concealed carry purses...it seems she wants to carry in a holster on her waistband (makes me happy). I almost walked home with a Chiappa Rhino .357 revolver (to back up my own primary carry .380 of course). Shortage of funds prevented both purchases. Will probably be picking up one of each those guns by early next year though once we save.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:

Raggs

Ok, well I took my wife and two kids to the show on Sunday. It was a bit larger than I expected, but not quite as large as some other shows I'd been to down south. Well rounded show with a good number of concealed carry pistols available.

My wife liked the S&W .380 with integrated laser (best show price was about $420). She didn't even care about the decent selection of concealed carry purses...it seems she wants to carry in a holster on her waistband (makes me happy). I almost walked home with a Chiappa Rhino .357 revolver (to back up my own primary carry .380 of course). Shortage of funds prevented both purchases. Will probably be picking up one of each those guns by early next year though once we save.

Thanks for all the replies.

Good deal. Glad you found what you were looking for.

Michigander

I in no way mean to pester you, and I certainly don't want a caliber debate of any sort, but 380? I would suggest that you two look towards sub compact 9mm's at the same price point instead. There just isn't enough power in the 380 round to justify using it for general CC purposes.

Last edited:

OC4me

I in no way mean to pester you, and I certainly don't want a caliber debate of any sort, but 380? I would suggest that you two look towards sub compact 9mm's at the same price point instead. There just isn't enough power in the 380 round to justify using it for general CC purposes.

I was just joking.... forgot to include the ;-)