• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC: Lesser form of OC

independence

How many times have you heard a CC-only carriers say the following?:

"A lot of times, just the presence of the gun is enough. You don't even have to fire it. All you have to do is put your hand on it and they get the idea and run away. You can deter a robbery without ever firing a shot."

Hmm....Just realized that they are basically advocating a lesser form of OC!

WalkingWolf

In some states it may be possible to be charged with assault putting your hand on your gun. It can most definitely get a person shot, if the person they are trying to influence is a plain clothes cop. Or another CC person.

OC for ME

If concealed means concealed, the pistol would have to become unconcealed to meet the requirement that the pistols presence did 'X'.

Partially concealed, attempting to conceal, is what a cop would use to gig you on if you don't have a CC permit where a permit is required to CC.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In some states it may be possible to be charged with assault putting your hand on your gun. It can most definitely get a person shot, if the person they are trying to influence is a plain clothes cop. Or another CC person.

Also "brandishing".

Yes, a few states have 'defensive display of firearm" laws. And we need the rest of the states to climb on that bandwagon.

But until that time, revealing your concealed handgun, mentioning you have a concealed handgun, putting your hand on your now-revealed handgun, and possibly putting your hand on your handgun while it remains essentially concealed are all possible criminal violations.

For the above reasons, I respectfully submit that the law disagrees with your assertion that CC is a lesser form of OC.

OC, on the other hand, is not. Although over and over again hoplophobes and those with a serious streat of nasty will try to get a warrant against some OCing LAC.

stay safe.

independence

Amusing that posters in this thread have misunderstood the purpose and meaning of this thread. I agree that putting your hand on your gun can amount to brandishing.

I'll try it another, less subtle way...

Isn't it ridiculous that CC-only people claim to be against OC but then turn around and hypocritically tell you that putting your hand on your gun (semi-brandishing) can deter crime without a single shot being fired? They are claiming to be against OC when they themselves advocate a lesser/pseudo version of OC! Hypocrites!

...That better? :cool:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Amusing that posters in this thread have misunderstood the purpose and meaning of this thread.

No, we did not misunderstand.

...That better? :cool:

No.

The point is that CC-only folks who do not "draw and shoot" (all in one movement) have to transition to OC in such a manner as to make them liable for violation of any of a host of laws.

OCers do not violate any laws when they OC.

stay safe.

independence

No, we did not misunderstand.

No.

The point is that CC-only folks who do not "draw and shoot" (all in one movement) have to transition to OC in such a manner as to make them liable for violation of any of a host of laws.

OCers do not violate any laws when they OC.

stay safe.

Gotchya! Thanks for clarifying. I think I follow you now. My apologies for misunderstanding that you weren't misunderstanding. :monkey