Thread: GSW treatment kits debuting in Oak Creek-Franklin schools with no history of GSW.

GSW treatment kits debuting in Oak Creek-Franklin schools with no history of GSW.

"The Police and Fire departments are asking Oak Creek-Franklin Joint School District leaders to stop thinking about if a school shooting will happen and start preparing for when it will happen. Through in-service training in August and in two in-services in November, both departments have been preparing district staff to respond to and prevent shootings. ... The kits will be paid for through donations. The district's goal is to have a kit in every room. [ ... ] Police officers gave teachers firsthand knowledge of what a shooting would sound like by firing rifle blanks in school hallways during the in-service. Hearing gunshots, Pulvermacher said, will familiarize teachers with exactly how a shooting will sound. To him, this is an important phase in the OODA Loop, the observation, orientation, decide and act loop the military uses.
    [ ... ]
    The Police Department will start the "See Something, Say Something," initiative, encouraging students who hear or witness violent threats to report them to any district staff member. That staff member will then bring the issue up to an administrator, who will turn it over to a multithreat assessment team. The team will be made up of a counselor, administrator and members of the Police Department. They will make contact with the child and work with a behavioral analysis team in the FBI to determine what to do with the threat."

http://www.oakcreeknow.com/news/guns...227836871.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

"both departments have been preparing district staff to respond to and prevent shootings"

Just how are they going to do that, exactly?

And fantastic! Let's respond to shootings with Band-Aids! That'll help!

They should probably train them on giving hugs, too. Because the shooter probably just needs one. Oh wait - it's inappropriate for teachers to hug students now.

I think I just uncovered the underlying cause of school shootings: teachers can't give hugs.

Seems like a good idea to me.

I carry a "blow out" kit when I go to shoot. (Yellowstone, no cell phone coverage, 40 minutes from a trauma center of any kind, probably a helo ride for the victim.) Getting a non-fatal to be "no big deal" and "serious" wound out of "fatal" territory is something EVERY work place should have and every vehicle too.

It's good they aren't just trying to violate civil, Constitutional, and human rights to appease their fears for once.
    "I can only be held responsible for my own stupidity." - Captain Nemo

That describes where I live, remote, isolated and an hour from a Level IV trauma center (advanced stabilization for transfer to Level I or II) by helicopter. And with spotty cellphone coverage. No resident MD.

It is the training that should be ubiquitous, rather than the specialized and expensive consumables. BLS for a sucking chest is accomplished with plastic wrap from a kitchen, first aid is a well placed hand. Tension pneumothorax requires releaving the pressure. (I EMT trained under the inventor of the McSwain Dart, Dr. Norman.)

There are no publicly accessible $1500 AED's purchased with taxpayer monies.

There have been no GSW in living memory. The neighbor that was involved with a serious hunting accident elsewhere died of old age some years ago.

The same goes for specialized vehicle kits. Know how to use what is at hand. I was first on the scene that involved a bilateral enucleation - both eyes popped out. I rinsed styro cups and bandaged them in place with a scarf. My final exam scene was an steering column impalement.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    That describes where I live, remote, isolated and an hour from a Level IV trauma center (advanced stabilization for transfer to Level I or II) by helicopter. And with spotty cellphone coverage. No resident MD.
    I'm going to take a wild guess...Florence or Marinette County?
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

Based on the majority of the student shooters that I am aware of, one type of prevention is for schools, teachers and parents to appropriately handle incidents of bullying, or perceived bullying.

This might also help the student suicide rate as well.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

Quote Originally Posted by E6chevron View Post
    Based on the majority of the student shooters that I am aware of, one type of prevention is for schools, teachers and parents to appropriately handle incidents of bullying, or perceived bullying.

This might also help the student suicide rate as well.
    Just curious. What is perceived bullying?

Quote Originally Posted by S&W500 View Post
    Just curious. What is perceived bullying?
    People who THINK they are being bullied.

Sometimes these people are identified as paranoid, often they are simply overly sensitive. When they hear someone laughing, they assume they are being laughed at. When told, "some of the players on our team are not very good," they assume they are being criticized, personally.

It can be more problematic than actual bullying, because it is very possible that nobody else is even aware of the problem, so no support or even sympathy is offered.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by E6chevron View Post
    People who THINK they are being bullied.

Sometimes these people are identified as paranoid, often they are simply overly sensitive. When they hear someone laughing, they assume they are being laughed at. When told, "some of the players on our team are not very good," they assume they are being criticized, personally.

It can be more problematic than actual bullying, because it is very possible that nobody else is even aware of the problem, so no support or even sympathy is offered.
    Got ya. Was thinking you meant it in a different way so wanted to see before i stuck my foot in my mouth, good thing i did.