• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Britain Parking Authority notice of hearings are being changed

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yea, I got a parking ticket....I demand that they put me through a kangaroo court ... so I filed for a hearing.

I get the notice of hearing and a 1 sentence line stated "Parties are limited to 5 minutes to present their case".

Well, I'll have a lot of legal argument to make I'm sure. So I visit the corporation consul's office and have a little chit-chat with one of the lawyers.

Yada yada yada...they say that the 5 min. limit really means nothing and that they do not enforce it. No rule or regulation or ordinance mentions a 5 min. limit ... so I file a FOIA request for any other type of record that the hearing officer may rely upon. Well, the HO does have a small book (they never told anyone about this book), so I'll review it prior to the hearing but I'm sure it speaks nothing of a five minute limit (the town lawyer looked at it and said he saw nothing in the book about a five minute limit).

Anyway, I threatened civil action if they do not remove that stupid 5 min. rule from their notices. And they relented ! Hugh victory (not) lol. So folks in New Britain will not be subjected to a five minute limitation during their hearings...a victory for due process.

The last parking ticket I got in another town resulted in a FOIA Act complaint regarding the hearing processes that is subject to our open meeting laws and the result was that the town lost this case (http://www.ct.gov/foi/lib/foi/hor_2013/ho_09112013/2012_627.pdf). I've only had 2 parking tickets in these many years. The consul for the town said that the town would need time to re-configure and do some construction to get into compliance, estimating $10K for the work.

I'll be eyeballing the next parking ticket hearing processes in New Britain for violations of our open meetings provisions ... I'm sure I'll find one :banana::banana:

I hate parking tickets as much as I hate Russians.