Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Cut Off After Man Urinates In Reservoir. "...nothing to do with scientifically.

Water Cut Off After Man Urinates In Reservoir. "...nothing to do with scientifically.

"Shaff said the Water Bureau regularly finds dead animals in the same drinking supply but doesn't dump the water. "This is different," he said. "Do you want to drink pee?" he asked bluntly. When questioned about scientific data and the small amount of urine in such a large reservoir, he interjected: "Answer the question. It has nothing to do with scientifically. "

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/10/...-in-reservoir/
    http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...cart_most-read

I was involved in a project to estimate the risk of malicious contamination of San Francisco's water supply via the then publicly accessible Las Pulgas Water Temple. One gallon of contaminant divided into almost 100 million cubic meters of Crystal Springs Reservoir is not biologically significant.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    "Shaff said the Water Bureau regularly finds dead animals in the same drinking supply but doesn't dump the water. "This is different," he said. "Do you want to drink pee?" he asked bluntly. When questioned about scientific data and the small amount of urine in such a large reservoir, he interjected: "Answer the question. It has nothing to do with scientifically. "

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/10/...-in-reservoir/
    http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...cart_most-read

I was involved in a project to estimate the risk of malicious contamination of San Francisco's water supply via the then publicly accessible Las Pulgas Water Temple. One gallon of contaminant divided into almost 100 million cubic meters of Crystal Springs Reservoir is not biologically significant.
    An administrator for the Water Bureau, David Shaff is a stupid moron!

Banned
    They drained it and found a snicker's bar at the bottom ! Gasp!

IIRC, absent specific diseases of the person providing the sample, pee is sterile.

No, that does not mean I want to drink straight pee. But have you read the full analysis of your water supply? Mine's got enough prescription drugs so that I'll never have to wait at the pharmacy again.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

How do they keep animals, including birds, away?

Just like with guns. The real issue has nothing to do with science, statistics, facts, or health, and everything to do with control and good feelings.

That said, the man still has some 'splainin' to do, and maybe some community service.
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-17-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    No mention of the fluoride and chlorine they put in the water?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Unless the person has a UTI, urine from a healthy person is sterile. Not appealing, but not dangerous. People trapped in cave-ins, building collapses after earthquakes have survived drinking their own urine.

The much greater health hazard is the lack of water because it has been turned off.

stupid...stupid...stupid... stupid...stupid...stupid... stupid...stupid...stupid... stupid...stupid...stupid... stupid...stupid...
    Last edited by XD40sc; 10-17-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    People ... have survived drinking their own urine....stupid...
    Survived the stupidity, not because of the stupidity.

Just look at federal Food Defect Action Levels.....

Product Type of insect contamination Action Level

Canned sweet corn Insect larvae (corn ear worms or corn borers) 2 or more 3 mm or longer larvae, cast skins, larval or cast skin fragments, the aggregate length of insects or insect parts exceeds 12 mm in 24 pounds

Canned citrus fruit juices Insects and insect eggs 5 or more Drosophila and other fly eggs per 250 ml or 1 or more maggots per 250 ml

Canned apricots Insect filth Average of 2% or more by count has been damaged or infected by insects

Chocolate and chocolate liquor Insect filth Average is 60 or more insect fragments per 100 grams (when 6 100 g subsamples are examined)

Peanut butter Insect filth Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams

Wheat flour Insect filth Average of 150 or more insect fragments per 100 grams

Frozen broccoli Insects and mites Average of 60 or more aphids and/or thrips and/or mites per 100 grams

Hops Insects Average of more than 2,500 aphids per 10 grams

Ground thyme Insect filth Average of 925 or more insect fragments per 10 grams

Ground nutmeg Insect filth Average of 100 or more insect fragments per 10 grams

Ground cinnamon Insect filth Average of 400 or more insect fragments per 50 grams[3]
    Somebody needs to go get a dry pair of panties.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Just look at federal Food Defect Action Levels..... Somebody needs to go get a dry pair of panties.
    Economic stimulation by regulation; extends far beyond the ObamaNation.

My personal experience was with As Low As Reasonably Achievable - ALARA. I had to maintain my radiation worker qualification for twenty-five years as accessory to my engineer quals. As a nub-sailor I learned how to put on and remove Anti-Contamination suits and equipment. When I retired there were probably twice as many steps and requirements. Doing final close out inspections of highly contaminated water tanks required Anti-C's with double waterproof-Anti-C's (three redundant layers) and air supplied breathing apparatus; that took half a shift to don and remove and an hour to survey personally clean.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    How do they keep animals, including birds, away?
    Signage. lol

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Signage. lol
    Literal LOL; thank you!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Nothing like OLD news, June 2011.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/10/16/water-supply-cut-off-after-man-urinates-in-reservoir/

Banned

Water Cut Off After Man Urinates In Reservoir. "...nothing to do with scienti...

Tried to fix your link. It still didn't work.
    Last edited by eye95; 10-21-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Maybe they were just released from the holding area -- to make sure no contamination occurs.
    lol

Ummmm.....they do realize that the FISH pee in the water to, right???
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

There's fish in the water?!?!?!

The fish pee in there right?

Another stupid person in charge of stuff.

This guy says that "fish do not pee." with a good argument.

Thom Demas, Curator of Fishes Tennessee Aquarium Chattanooga, TN
    No; fish do not pee. The primary waste molecule for metabolism in fish is ammonia. For people, our waste product is urea and we excrete that by urinating, peeing. Fish primarily make ammonia although some make urea. The benefit of urea is that it is less toxic than is the ammonia; think of urea as basically being two ammonia molecules put together. Back to the fish and how they eliminate their metabolic waste. As we know, humans and all mammals urinate or pee. The fish on the other hand has no urinary bladder to store metabolic waste and no “vent” by which to eliminate it. So, once the waste product is filtered out and delivered to the blood stream it makes its way to the gills. From here, the ammonia can be released through the gill tissue into the environment. It is also commonly excreted through the skin of the fish although most of the ammonia is released through the gills. This happens by passive diffusion. that means the amount of ammonia in the water must be less than in the fish. if it is not, the fish cannot get rid of its waste and it will poison itself.http://www.quora.com/Fish/Do-fish-pee
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-23-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Learn something everyday, problem is, I forget about five things I need to remember.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

MOLON LABE

Well they crap...

Banned
    o; fish do not pee. The primary waste molecule for metabolism in fish is ammonia. For people, our waste product is urea and we excrete that by urinating, peeing. Fish primarily make ammonia although some make urea. The benefit of urea is that it is less toxic than is the ammonia; think of urea as basically being two ammonia molecules put together. Back to the fish and how they eliminate their metabolic waste. As we know, humans and all mammals urinate or pee. The fish on the other hand has no urinary bladder to store metabolic waste and no “vent” by which to eliminate it. So, once the waste product is filtered out and delivered to the blood stream it makes its way to the gills. From here, the ammonia can be released through the gill tissue into the environment. It is also commonly excreted through the skin of the fish although most of the ammonia is released through the gills. This happens by passive diffusion. that means the amount of ammonia in the water must be less than in the fish. if it is not, the fish cannot get rid of its waste and it will poison itself.http://www.quora.com/Fish/Do-fish-pee
    So, to keep fish from gill-peeing, jack up the level of ammonia in the water to the point where the diffusion reverses direction. Then we will be safe from fish ammonia!

Banned
    I don't eat fish: they swim in their own toilet...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I don't eat fish: they swim in their own toilet...
    Lake Michigan is full of 1,200 cubic miles of drinking water and thousands of tons of tasty fish. I'll leave the concentration calculations to you, the student grasshopper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast