• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry illegal?

MattinWA

For CC don't they require a driver's license or a form of ID?

There is no requirement to carry ID to CC in WA state either, unless u know something I don't. The permit will suffice: *

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter*7.80*RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter*7.80*RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

sudden valley gunner

It's been a few years since I lived in Aridzona... but I'm unaware of any statute mandating that someone must carry identification at any time, or even have a license to do anything other than for a licensed activity.

I remember looking it up once, because someone who was supporting a federal concealed license, pointed out hey Arizona does it, it might just be for out of staters though I can't recall.

There is no requirement to carry ID to CC in WA state either, unless u know something I don't. The permit will suffice: *

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter*7.80*RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter*7.80*RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

I carry sterile in WA, OC no license or ID, when I do CC, it's no just my permit no ID.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
It is a stupid law that I never give a second thought to when on my home turf.

That said, allegedly, once upon a time, someone who isn't me was driving about at 1am in another state, while on vacation, carrying concealed, in a state with CCW reciprocity for their permit, trying to get back to their hotel, and made a wrong turn that put that person onto a college campus that was so big that the campus roads looked like regular public roads. At that time, that person was intensely conscious of the GFSZ act, and the unknown potential of state law issues as well, especially when a campus police cruiser was behind them for a bit as they attempted to get off said campus.

Little wrinkle in the CCW exemption for the Federal GFSZ act is that the license/permit must have been issued by the state that the school is in. So if you're in State X, and "carrying on" a permit from State Y, even if State X honors State Y's permit, it's still a felony crime. This of course is idiotic.

You said college campus. The FGFSZ has nothing to do with a college campus, only K-12 schools.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
This law would be held invalid again if tested. In United States v. Lopez the Supreme Court held that the FGFSZ Act was unconstitutional and that Congress did not have the power to regulate such matters as they fall outside of their power to regulate commerce. They ruled that the act of carrying a firearm has nothing to even do with commerce, which it doesn't.

Hopefully one day this will be taken back to the courts and we will have the same outcome. From what I have researched, no one has ever been charged with this in Kentucky as a stand alone charge.

sudden valley gunner

That makes 2 of us (at least that much I can be sure of):monkey

I do all my shopping w just a debit and leave wallet in the truck (while oc ing

+1 I was almost in Spokane this September for the Libertarian mini Con....Some great OC'ers that way!

This law would be held invalid again if tested. In United States v. Lopez the Supreme Court held that the FGFSZ Act was unconstitutional and that Congress did not have the power to regulate such matters as they fall outside of their power to regulate commerce. They ruled that the act of carrying a firearm has nothing to even do with commerce, which it doesn't.

Hopefully one day this will be taken back to the courts and we will have the same outcome. From what I have researched, no one has ever been charged with this in Kentucky as a stand alone charge.

I wouldn't trust the courts to hold it invalid, they have made ridiculous unconstitutional decisions under the guise of 'safety'.

WalkingWolf

OP most of us don't worry about the school zone, it just has not been enforced. But you can legally carry a loaded antique firearm in a GFSZ the current law is for firearms not antique firearms. A good SD antique firearm is the Remington model 1858 available for very reasonable price, even though they have gone up in price. A new replica can be had with a spare cylinder for under $300 if you find them on sale. A added bonus is you can buy them online without a FFL in most states.

I am contemplating buying another for a EDC, as mine is a 8 inch model. I may buy a 5.5 model for carry. These guns can be speed loaded with spare loaded cylinders, and with modern steel and soft lead bullets 200g they are a potent SD handgun.

When I know I am going to be out in public in a GFSZ I carry two colt navies, I have yet to be stopped. If I am there is no doubt in my mind any charges would be dismissed as antique firearms are not prohibited in the federal law. If I am in the car driving through I carry my cartridge guns. Keep in mind that the GFSZA exempts private property. So if a business is within the zone you cannot be legally charged with violating the act.

With all that said do not taunt the bear. I would avoid walking down the school sidewalk carrying any firearm, if it can be avoided.

WalkingWolf

The problem is sooner or later, either under Obama, or Clinton the balance of the courts will be tipped in favor of tyranny. There is no doubt in my mind that Billary will get elected, unless some major dirt is dug up on her. Scalia cannot hold out forever.

sudden valley gunner

The problem is sooner or later, either under Obama, or Clinton the balance of the courts will be tipped in favor of tyranny. There is no doubt in my mind that Billary will get elected, unless some major dirt is dug up on her. Scalia cannot hold out forever.

They have been tipped in favor of tyranny for a long time. :cry: