• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Codify HB 5091 & HB 5092

bigt8261

MOC has received word that HB 5091 & HB 5092 were reported out of the House Judiciary Committee today with unanimous support.

OC4me

Much better, as the bills read now, it appears that the controversial 'exemption' for holstered or slung firearms has been eliminated.

The brandishing definition reads as:

"Brandish" means to intentionally point, wave about, or display* in a threatening manner that would induce fear in a reasonable person.

*I still object to the unnecessary inclusion of the term 'display' as 'display' does indeed induce fear in certain people who happen to suffer from hoplaphobia. Granted, reasonable people are not hoplaphobes, but who wants to take the chance of running into an anti-gun nut-case?

Peaceably carried, a firearm needn't ever be 'pointed' or 'waved about' so no worries there.

However, the element of 'display' is always present in open carry and so we're still vulnerable to what an anti-carry LEO or prosecutor deems as 'threatening' or 'inducing fear'.

With 'intentionally pointing' and 'wave about', it wouldn't matter even if (irrational) fear was induced by open carry because normal open carry doesn't involve pointing or waving about (necessary elements of the crime of brandishing). Normal open carry does involve the 'display' of a firearm however, therefore the definition, as it is now, still leaves the door slightly open for LEO harassment or frivolous prosecution.

If the definition was simplified by dropping 'display' as follows, that door would be closed:

"Brandish" means to intentionally point or wave about in a threatening manner that would induce fear in a reasonable person.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

SNIPPED.....

*I still object to the unnecessary inclusion of the term 'display'

The following definition would be much better in my humble opinion:

"Brandish" means to intentionally point or wave about in a threatening manner that would induce fear in a reasonable person.

AMEN! I can hear dirt bag cops & DA's in shifty cities such as Lansing, Grand Rapids, Warren, Royal Oak, (fill in the _____)

licking their chops at the prospect of now charging lawful OCers with displaying their pistol in a scary (any) looking holster.

Think of it this way - had this been law when Mr Deffert was detained he may have been charged & convicted of "brandishing".:eek:

Ezerharden

The only thing that will stop that illegal behavior, is if we as a united front, all simply refuse to speak to them if they chose to disarm us. At the point of disarmament simply reply, "Due to your lack of respect for me, and my rights, this conversation is now over. Better a felon than a traitor."

I would prefer to be neither.

I was hoping for something more useful out of this session... :/

Such as? What legislation have you worked on that we are unaware of?

TheQ

Blame Snyder and the Republican leadership. The truth is, Democrats simply do not have enough power in Lansing to stop anything. There is only one answer to what the problem is.

King Snyder is the problem. Had Virg been elected, the Republicans would pass Con Carry to spite him in 2011. When he would veto it, they'd over-ride it. The votes were there.

But the Republican legislature is beholden to Ann Arbor Rick who is marginally anti-gun. :(

bigt8261

The brandishing definition reads as:

"Brandish" means to intentionally point, wave about, or display* in a threatening manner that would induce fear in a reasonable person.

The definition was tweaked to include intent. Meaning you must intend to threaten someone. This is possible while leaving your firearm in your holster and never touching it.

Look for the definition to be tweaked a little more when it hits the Senate. We will be making it even more clear that the intent is on the causing fear part, rather than the displaying part.

HKcarrier

Nice work gentlemen... sounds pretty good. The intent is the key to the whole thing. OCing is not displaying with intent to cause fear. IT's just OCing.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
King Snyder is the problem. Had Virg been elected, the Republicans would pass Con Carry to spite him in 2011. When he would veto it, they'd over-ride it. The votes were there.

But the Republican legislature is beholden to Ann Arbor Rick who is marginally anti-gun. :(
That's the solution then, make sure we have a massive Republican legislature, and put a dem in the gov's seat. :) What the heck, it worked before.

FreeInAZ

That's the solution then, make sure we have a massive Republican legislature, and put a dem in the gov's seat. :) What the heck, it worked before.

Yep,

Jenny G was better on 2A issues than Rhino Rick IMHO. Man- that's a pretty low blow & it wasn't even intended to be. :eek:

Viva MI! May freedom prevail there. :cool:

Last edited:

TheQ

I am privately telling ppl that. So is Jared Coyne. I know at least one Republican staffer that plans to do just that.

Leader

Yep,

Jenny G was better on 2A issues than Rhino Rick IMHO. Man- that's a pretty low blow & it wasn't even intended to be. :eek:

Viva MI! May freedom prevail there. :cool:

Just don't forget the damage Jenny did in other areas of MI.

Rick may not be 100% behind 2nd amendment issues but he got the budget under control and stopped the mass exodus of jobs & talent .

He has made MI a place where people can find a job again and without paying some union for the right to earn a living.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Just don't forget the damage Jenny did in other areas of MI.

Rick may not be 100% behind 2nd amendment issues but he got the budget under control and stopped the mass exodus of jobs & talent .

He has made MI a place where people can find a job again and without paying some union for the right to earn a living.
Then we have to find someone to challenge the governor in the primary that is pro-2nd amendment. And that won't be easy.