• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New and Worried about oc

Interceptor_Knight

Driving around I hardly notice that it is there. So I think that I will take all the advice that I have been given and give it a try.

If you are "driving around" with a handgun on your hip and you drive within 1000' of School Grounds, you are committing a misdemeanor just as if you were walking within 1000' and you are not on private property. If you are driving anywhere with it on your hip, I hope you have an attorney on speed dial and a pile of cash in the case that you are cited for Concealed Carry without a License.

Last edited:

rpmfan43

I drive out in the country where there are no schools around. If I get close I turn a corner or around.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Kopis

To the OP, i was like you, scared to try it at first. my state is CC only but im about 10 minutes from memphis tn which is OC. ANyway, just started one friday with the wife while going shopping. I thought being with her would make me seem "less scary", i was shocked how virtually no one noticed. I've been doing it ever since. I try to dress well if i OC, clean shaven etc. If you look the part and act confident, few people will question you.

My dad and i met for lunch last week at a hibachi place and i was OCing my glock and spare mag, got to talking to the group of black ladies we were seated with and she asked what i did, told her i wasnt LEO etc, she said i carried myself well and wasnt scary at all. She mentioned that she saw my gun when i walked around the table but i acted so nonchalant, she didnt think twice about it.

NoTolerance

I see you use the WCI as your avatar. Makes me wonder about your newness.

Congratulations on uncovering the grand conspiracy! Anyone that takes the time to choose a stock avatar when setting up their profile is obviously a plant. :screwy:

Franky

Congratulations on uncovering the grand conspiracy! Anyone that takes the time to choose a stock avatar when setting up their profile is obviously a plant. :screwy:

Thanks. I knew with my superior skill and cunning I would have no problem uncovering the plot.:cool:

E6chevron

Yes, by all sarcastic means, let us encourage the test of case law, particularly when it is encouraged by those without doxastic commitment (a.k.a skin-in-the-game).

I am disappointed by your misleading quote of old case law:

There is no statutory or common law privilege for the crime of carrying a concealed
weapon under s. 941.23. State Dundon, 226 Wis. 2d 654, 594 N.W.2d 780 (1999),
97−1423.

If you truly do not know that the recent changes to WI statute 941.23 actually do support a private citizen carrying a concealed weapon, in several different circumstances, just say so, and I will cite the exact code.

S&W500

I want to oc everywhere I go, yet in the little town that I live in the only ones that carry are leo's. How do I get over my fears of ending up on the wrong side of a bad day? I know 85% of my local leo's. Would talking to the chief help or hinder?

I oc in a small town as well. I went to the local pd before hand just to inform them i would be just to make it easier on myself. I figured if the police were already aware i was ocing then if they got calls i would not be getting stopped and harassed by police. I know it was not something i had to do but.it worked out well. The pd even had a meeting about it with all officers, i have never had an issue.

rpmfan43

I talked to an officer that I know very well. He warned me of what might happen but did not tell me not to. So I have been OC now for a week. I will tell you that I have only been asked what I'm carrying and the caliber. No questions why, no negative issues. I even went into my local Wal-mart, nobody blinked. I am ecstatic that I decided to try OC now I realize that it is a tool and part of me. I feel naked if I take it off. It sounds stupid, but I do. I feel helpless. My wife can't understand why I started to carry. I told her cause I wanted to. Was that the wrong answer? My confidence has gone up. I feel safer when I go out. Thank you again for helping me get out of my shell. :)

Interceptor_Knight

I am disappointed by your misleading quote of old case law:

If you truly do not know that the recent changes to WI statute 941.23 actually do support a private citizen carrying a concealed weapon, in several different circumstances, just say so, and I will cite the exact code.
Doug is not talking about what is clearly legal if you are a Licensee or on your own property, etc. I believe he is referring to the points of contention in this thread regarding "in or on the grounds of a school" , non-licensed carry in a GFSZ and "Open Carry" in a vehicle below the window line...

chowda

I oc in a small town as well. I went to the local pd before hand just to inform them i would be just to make it easier on myself. I figured if the police were already aware i was ocing then if they got calls i would not be getting stopped and harassed by police. I know it was not something i had to do but.it worked out well. The pd even had a meeting about it with all officers, i have never had an issue.

Very well done!!! You are an outstanding representative of the firearms community.

rpmfan43

Ok, been ocing now for 1 week and haven't had any problems. Only heard good things about me carrying. One mother told her son that it is my right to carry and not to bother me. Another older gentleman said that he felt safer knowing that there was someone who had balls enough to open carry so that criminals would think twice before doing anything. He even shook my hand and patted me on the back. So I am very glad that I am now ocing. Thanks again for the support and guidance. And to those who told me not to...... Kiss me where the good lord split me! Everyone agree?

E6chevron

Black letter statutory law is not precedential. Case law is precedential until overturned by a court of competent jurisdiction, an appellate court. The law is an ass that lawyers ride to work, don't try to be one, you're not smart enough.

I don't give a 'F'ig for your disappointment.

Well, I'm smart enough not to be bothered by your little rant.

The policy of "stare decisis" in dealing with the significance of precedental case law in state courts, is dependent on a detailed set of facts which are consistent/similar with the new case before the court. When the state statutes have changed significantly the new detailed set of facts may make the precedental case inapplicable.

Last edited: