• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New and Worried about oc

rpmfan43

I want to oc everywhere I go, yet in the little town that I live in the only ones that carry are leo's. How do I get over my fears of ending up on the wrong side of a bad day? I know 85% of my local leo's. Would talking to the chief help or hinder?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Sorcice

It's legal. If you know the Leo's then you are already ahead of the game. If you'd like someone to go out on your first trip with you I'm sure someone from the surrounding area can show ya the ropes. To get the ball rolling what town are you in?

independence

I agree about starting slow. I started out with OCing on walks with my family in the neighborhood. Went from that to Walmart. I would say do *not* talk to your LEO friends about it first. You may get them all worked up about nothing. But that's just me.

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
I want to oc everywhere I go, yet in the little town that I live in the only ones that carry are leo's. How do I get over my fears of ending up on the wrong side of a bad day? I know 85% of my local leo's. Would talking to the chief help or hinder?

Start Here :) :
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...rrying-(OC)-In-WI-Here-s-what-you-should-know
If you are NOT a current Wisconsin CCL holder, be aware of the 1000 foot "school zone" law.

Last edited:

Sir Diealotz

Take the dog for a walk around the block. Next day go for a longer walk. Next day go grab some snacks or ???? from the local mom & pop shop. Next day.... etc.

Your fears and anxiety will pass in time.

Franky

A fine small town over in the hills. My mama was born there and I am very familiar with the area. Since you know most of the em I would casually discuss it with the chief. A nice small farm town like Viroqua you bet. A bigger city such as La Crosse probably not.

Law abider

I just started. Wasn't easy. I know my leos and deputies too. Find a constitutional original intent leo and become good friends with him. If he is a born again Christian, like mine is, more power to you! He may become the next chief of police soon!
Holster the gun and pretend it don't even exists, or just think of it as a tool, like a small ax you might carry on the side loop of your work pants.

Maverick9

I'd agree, go to your state forum here and see if anyone in your county is open carrying. Arrange a coffee with him and OC together.

Also, if you have gun shows in your area, get acquainted with and chat up the state police guy who is manning the show. They usually stand in the background. If they are fire-arm and 2A friendly, ask for their card. See what their position is on OC-ing. If they are OK with it, or perhaps suggest something consider that.

IF STOPPED, you might say 'oh do you know Lieutenant XYZ, he and I talked at the gun show and we discussed the legality of open carry and he said you're fine as long as you don't go into a prohibited place

Consider printing out a cheat sheet of the laws for your state. Though you won't get a LEO to read them you can say 'According to state statute ABC', or according to preemption laws or something. Obviously if something is not prohibited and there's no laws about it (like OC, since it's a constitutional right) you won't have a law or anything. Best not to talk to the cops - you only risk arrest by falling into an incrimination trap or 'sassing them'.

Last, don't try to argue your case in the street. Carry a recorder and TURN IT ON when you leave the house (otherwise you'll forget). If you are stopped cuffed and stuffed do not resist. Get a lawyer and file and have your recorder as evidence. Be sure of the laws governing one and two party recording.

To me the safest, easiest way is to OC with a 'friend' in your area who has been doing it for a while.

Good luck!

Last edited:

JJC

I'm from Stoddard, not too far from you. If you'd like to get together and go for a walk let me know. I'd be happy to help you get over this issue.

JJC

MKEgal

Maverick9 said:
I'd agree, go to your state forum here and see if anyone in your county is open carrying.
Well, since this is the WI forum and she says she's from WI, she's got the first part covered.
For the second part, try this thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77014-Adopt-a-first-timer

Not so sure about trying name-dropping as a way to remind a LEO of the law.
If you feel you're being detained, and there's no real reason for it, have the officer call her supervisor to the scene. That person can straighten out the officer, or get a higher-up involved.
Don't talk to a cop except socially. If they're investigating you, refer all questions to your lawyer.

chowda

I'm from Stoddard, not too far from you. If you'd like to get together and go for a walk let me know.

And that would even be better if wives/GFs/kids were with you. Think of how much "women and children" have been used as little more than PR props by politicians to get people to accept their BS. It started with the 'soccer moms' and has done nothing but intensify as 'the masses' are easily manipulated by emotion and nothing conveys that in as short a period of time as a picture.

If people see someone OC just by themselves and they are a male, what are they going to say to the mainstream media drones?
"It's my right". "I have a right". I/me/I/me/my/mine/I/me me me. Hate to break it to anyone here but no one gives a sandra fluke about you.
So, you will be portrayed by the anti-firearm/liberal/progressive stereotype of "loner while male" or "white male".
We need to get out of our own selves and look at the big picture.
Print out something like this and if someone asks why you feel the need to carry a firearm, just give them this:

10outof10rapists.jpg

woman-defending-oleg-volk.jpg

It ain't about us individual males. Think about it.....

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...If people see someone OC just by themselves and they are a male, what are they going to say to the mainstream media drones?
"It's my right". "I have a right". I/me/I/me/my/mine/I/me me me. Hate to break it to anyone here but no one gives a sandra fluke about you.
So, you will be portrayed by the anti-firearm/liberal/progressive stereotype of "loner while male" or "white male".
We need to get out of our own selves and look at the big picture.

Print out something like this and if someone asks why you feel the need to carry a firearm, just give them this:...

...It ain't about us individual males. Think about it.....
And those things apply to the MALE handing them out, how? :rolleyes:

Interceptor_Knight

Talking to the Chief can not hurt, but it hardly seems necessary in such a small town, especially since you know most of the LEOs. Familiarize yourself with the applicable Statutes and carry a cheat sheet. As it was mentioned, you do not want to be arguing in the street but you want to be able to confidently articulate that what you are doing is not prohibited according to State Statutes so long as you stay out of prohibited places and stay 1000' from School grounds. Any local ordinances are preempted by State Statute, so include that cite in your cheat sheet. I have experienced that few people pay notice when I carry a handgun openly. I attended a recent City Council meeting and my handgun was only partially obscured by my light jacket. Even a close friend did not notice.

anmut

Just get out there and do it - you'll be fine. After a while you will notice that nobody cares and/or rarely even notices the gun on your hip.

rpmfan43

Driving around I hardly notice that it is there. So I think that I will take all the advice that I have been given and give it a try. Thanks Everyone. :)