• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know more about his shooting in TX ? shooting guy just standing there or what?

stealthyeliminator

I see grapeshot has been here.

I'd like to hear the officers explanation for this. I'd also be curious as to their faces when they first realized that this incident was captured on a private party's camera. That would probably tell us a lot as to their intent and state of mind when he/they pulled the trigger.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I did find this article:

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article/Dallas-police-probe-shooting-of-mentally-ill-man-4906549.php

DALLAS (AP) — Surveillance video showing a Dallas police officer shooting a mentally ill man standing still about 20 feet away contradicts the assertion of an officer that the man threatened his safety by lunging at him with a knife.

Well, the video certainly does contradict the statements .... but the guy did have a knife and was in close proximity to the cops. I think if the cops did not lie (and I think that have from what I've read) then they likely could have been cleared. But the lie indicates that they did not feel threatened at the time of the shooting ... that it was more of a preventative measure in anticipation of further possible actions by the guy.

By claiming the the guy was "lunging at them" appears to be a false statement. Really, someone cannot be described as "lunging at you" from 100 M away, right? And the distance was great enough in this instance and the distance was not made further by the cops (by moving backwards) but was made closer by the cops. No one would run into a knife obviously nor would one close the gap making the distance critical enough to require emergency measures. Right?

stealthyeliminator

Well, I certainly don't see a lunge. I know that gaps can be closed very quickly, even one like in the video, but, I don't see a lunge. From the looks of the video I think that you are right - it looks as though they fired in anticipation of a lunge, as a preventative measure. I don't think that amounts to a justifiable homicide. ;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Well, I certainly don't see a lunge. I know that gaps can be closed very quickly, even one like in the video, but, I don't see a lunge. From the looks of the video I think that you are right - it looks as though they fired in anticipation of a lunge, as a preventative measure. I don't think that amounts to a justifiable homicide. ;)

Especially when the police themselves advanced to within the Tueller 21' circle.

Some years ago there was a video of a psychotic with a gun on a lawn chair on a sidewalk. Somehow those police didn't shoot the guy when they first approached. They held back and tried to talk him into getting help. Eventually, a sniper shot the revolver out of his hand.

BrianB

Video now marked "private" on YouTube. :(

Also important to remember that the Tueller 21' radius is against a holstered handgun. I haven't seen the video, but if the cops already had their guns out and pointed in, 20 feet is going to be too far away (to necessitate firing) using the logic from Tueller. Perhaps another good reason for the "lunged" lie.

Somehow I'm betting that no matter how egregious it was we're not going to see attempted-murder charges against the officer.

Last edited:

Kopis

Especially when the police themselves advanced to within the Tueller 21' circle.

Some years ago there was a video of a psychotic with a gun on a lawn chair on a sidewalk. Somehow those police didn't shoot the guy when they first approached. They held back and tried to talk him into getting help. Eventually, a sniper shot the revolver out of his hand.

i saw that video, awesome shot!

onus

The police officers advanced on the victim. The victim never advanced on or towards the police.

The victim never raised his arms or hands and never lunged at officers.

The city will pay some money to the family and the cops will get a paid vacation and a notch on their belts and respect among their fellow gang members or um I mean, co workers.