• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Registration

bigmike79

Hi all I have been on this sight a few times but something happened yesterday that made me sign up and discuss this.
I live in PA and from what I understand there is no registration of firearms. On wednesday someone broke into my bosses house and stole 6 rifles and shotguns. He bought 4 of them himself and the other two were given to him by his grandfather. He called the police and they told him they will be there thursday night but didn't show up. He called them back and they came on friday and met with his wife while he was at work. He spoke to the state police officer on the phone. After he hung up he told me that the officer told him she put in his name and brought up the 4 serial numbers from the guns he bought. He said the officer said that a couple years ago they couldnt do that. Now that sounds like a registration to me. What do you think?

bigmike79

Sorry for posting in the wrong area. Yes he said they ran his name and all the serial numbers came up. The officer wrote them down for him, because he didnt have them written down, and told him to check gun shops and pawn shops because he would recognize his own guns.

Curmudgeon

Pa does not have gun registration. Sort of. Anytime any kind of firearm is purchased at an FFL in PA, that sale is recorded with the PA State Police in a Record of Sale Database...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/607132/posts

This RoS database is abused, misused, and treated like a registry, but the PA Supreme Court has said it is not a registry because it does not contain nor require a listing of every gun in PA. The logic is: "it is not complete, therefore it is not a registry."

How con you argue with that logic? :rollseyes:

I hope your boss gets his property back.

EMNofSeattle

We have the same thing in Washington.

years ago before the brady background check system came online the state conducted background checks by requiring a pistol purchase form to be filled out, the form would be mailed the county sheriff, with a copy the the dept of licensing, the sheriff would approve the transfer and destroy their records, the DOL kept them in giant file boxes, when when computers came online the Dept of Licensing starting scanning these big file boxes of forms into their computer, viola a gun registry of all handguns that cross a WA FFL dealer.

however this system has been somewhat useful for helping return stolen guns to their owners for what it's worth....

bigmike79

I was aware of the record of sale database but i didnt know the police were able to access it that easily, just type a name in and have everything right there. Im sure it does help people who are in the same situation as my boss, but who knows what else they use it for or could use it for. I really hope he gets his guns back, he hunts both in WV and PA and gets alot of the meat to feed his family. Thank you guys for clearing things up for me.

Steve in PA

Rifle and shotguns are not subject to a transfer, so I wonder how they were able to pull up the serial numbers of a rifle or shotgun. Are you sure the serial numbers were for rifles and shotguns and not handguns??

davidmcbeth

Banned
Pa does not have gun registration. Sort of. Anytime any kind of firearm is purchased at an FFL in PA, that sale is recorded with the PA State Police in a Record of Sale Database...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/607132/posts

This RoS database is abused, misused, and treated like a registry, but the PA Supreme Court has said it is not a registry because it does not contain nor require a listing of every gun in PA. The logic is: "it is not complete, therefore it is not a registry."

How con you argue with that logic? :rollseyes:

I hope your boss gets his property back.

Ask the state police for a list of all their assault rifles (copy/paste statue for definition)...see how they respond.