• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transporting a handgun in Ohio.

fpalmer05

I was reading some revised laws about driving with a handgun without a conceal permit and I had some questions aboutSec.2923.16.(K)(This law does not take effect until 3/27/13)
(5)

(a)"Unloaded" means with respect to a firearm
other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this
section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing
ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question and one of the following applies:

(i)There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that
may be used with the firearm in question.

(ii)Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in
question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without
leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.

(b)For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a "container that provides complete and separate
enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(i)A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed
loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or
case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a
separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap,
button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to
access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that
compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;

(ii)A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap,
button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to
access the contents.

Does this describe a glove box that can be locked?

fpalmer05

I guess what I'm asking is if it is now legal to carry a handgun and the ammunition in a magazine in the car as long as the magazine isn't in the gun and you have it in a "box, container, bag..." like a glove box? The wording on the revised code above this post is very vague and misleading

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

eye95

The law you cite is in effect now. Read the parts before the parts you cited.

Let me simplify it for you as I live in Ohio, am unlicensed, and routinely carry in my car:

Store the gun in a closing container. I use the original case. You can use a cardboard box with a lid that can be closed securely or a zippered handgun case. The key seems to be that it has to have some kind of closure device.

Store the magazine (still loaded) in a way that requires you to open a separate closure device. To be safe, but not required, I don't put the ammo or magazine in a container inside the same container as the gun. Again, the key seems to be the container having some kind of closure device. I use a velcroed pocket in my pants to hold the magazine. I "Barney Fife" the erstwhile chambered round in my buttoned shirt pocket.

fpalmer05

I guess I'm just cautious of this because back in '08 I was actually charged with carrying a concealed weapon for having my having my handgun in its case and loaded magazines in the car but they were seperate. So what I gather from this is I can now have my gun in its case and loaded mags say in my glove box and stay within the limits of the revised law without being "licensed"

eye95

I guess I'm just cautious of this because back in '08 I was actually charged with carrying a concealed weapon for having my having my handgun in its case and loaded magazines in the car but they were seperate. So what I gather from this is I can now have my gun in its case and loaded mags say in my glove box and stay within the limits of the revised law without being "licensed"

Back in '08, what you did was probably was illegal. Today the law is different.

If you don't mind saying, what was the disposition of the charges?