Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Sparks, Two dead, two wounded in Nevada middle school shooting

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,147

    Sparks, Two dead, two wounded in Nevada middle school shooting

    Monday, killing one person and critically wounding two children, Sparks police said. The Reno Gazette-Journal, citing Sparks City Manager Shawn Carey, said the shooter was killed by a self-inflicted gunshot wound. "We believe the suspect has been neutralized," the Sparks Police Department said on its website, without further details.

    Kyle Nucum, 13, said he witnessed another student shoot his teacher at Sparks Middle School Monday morning.

    Nucum said his teacher saw the student with a gun and ran to the student to tell him to put the gun down. He was then shot.

    The Reno Gazette-Journal is trying to independently verify the teacher’s identity.

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...oting/3143903/

    https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...bcfb713c8f313a
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-21-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    GFSZ Act fails again - when will they learn?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Schools don't seem to give much to security -- teachers pensions on the other hand...

    I am guessing the guy just walked into school ...

    At Newtown, that's what happened ... locked door but it was a glass door (duh) .

    Afterwards at Newtown, what did they do? Install the same design. Shows 100% that schools don't give a hoot.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Davis County, Utah
    Posts
    528
    School wasn't in session yet, so students were for the most part still milling around outside, which is where the shooting happened. No building entry needed, so building security/lockdown procedures couldn't have really come into play...much.

    Let's see here: 2 dead (shooter included), 2 wounded. Anyone care to take a Gentlemen's Bet that he used a revolver, therefore there will be no wailing and gnashing of teeth for another ban?

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    For the record, even with a permit, NV law does not permit guns to be carried into schools by teachers and other staff. They are required to be unarmed and at the mercy of any bad guys.

    We have 1-1/2 years before our next Legislature, so hopefully there will be rational discussion about this by then. Campus carry could get big press next time.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  6. #6
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Have to google this to read a news article, but it's probably the same old thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth
    At Newtown, that's what happened ... locked door but it was a glass door (duh) .
    Afterwards at Newtown, what did they do? Install the same design. Shows 100% that schools don't give a hoot.
    Oh, but they're tearing down that school & carting everything away and building a completely new school. Doesn't that show that they care about the feelings of the children & teachers? :P

    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702
    For the record, even with a permit, NV law does not permit guns to be carried into schools by teachers and other staff.
    Is is legal for citizens not employed by the school or a LEA?
    Could normal everyday parent volunteers help?

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Is is legal for citizens not employed by the school or a LEA?
    Could normal everyday parent volunteers help?
    No. I worded it poorly, sorry. I only meant to emphasize the teachers and staff.

    And, oddly enough, our law also applies to day-cares! Technically, you can't pick up your kid from a private day-care business with a permitted firearm.
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-21-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    CNN
    The mother of a student killed in December's shooting in Newtown said Monday's shooting was reminder of the need to find solutions to keep students safe."It's moments like this that demand that we unite as parents to find common sense solutions that keep our children - all children - safe, and prevent these tragedies from happening again and again."
    Except that the "common sense" gun control crowd doesn't display any. All they want are more laws for the criminals to break.
    Common sense (and experience) says that criminals ignore laws.
    Common sense (and experience) says that criminals attack easy targets.

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    "The student was pointing a gun at the teacher after the teacher told him to put it down, and the student fired a shot at the teacher, and the teacher fell, and everybody ran away"
    NY Times
    The big picture up top is scary. They're labelled "sheriff" but could be standing in Iraq.
    The Gov. said the highway patrol was helping at the school. Why? It's not state property, it's not even a roadway.
    Oh, this is really gonna help. Not.
    all middle schools in Washoe County had implemented a “Safe Zones” policy, whereby any student who “feels threatened, bullied, or the recipient of acts of violence” can go into a designated classroom staffed by a teacher.
    Washington Post
    They make it sound like the teacher threw himself in front of the kids... from what the student said, he was just telling the kid to put down the gun.
    killing a staff member who was trying to protect other children
    This is pretty stupid:
    The lone suspected gunman was also dead, though it’s unclear whether the student committed suicide. Authorities say no shots were fired by law enforcement.
    So unless the kid had a stroke or heart attack, it's most likely he killed himself.

    This makes no sense:
    Police said between 150 and 200 officers, including some from as far as 60 miles away, responded to the shooting.
    So some officers were driving for at least 45min, probably close to 1h, probably at high speed, to get to an incident which was over almost as soon as it began.
    And there was about 1 cop for every 5 students.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Have to google this to read a news article, but it's probably the same old thing.


    Oh, but they're tearing down that school & carting everything away and building a completely new school. Doesn't that show that they care about the feelings of the children & teachers? :P
    Newtown isn't paying for it ... the whole state is !

    Feelings, oh oh oh, feelings ....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm_-sW4Vktw

  10. #10
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

    And, oddly enough, our law also applies to day-cares! Technically, you can't pick up your kid from a private day-care business with a permitted firearm.
    Thanks to a unanimous vote in the legislature in the 2007 session. It greatly upset me when the NRA endorsed Bill Raggio over Sharron Angle. That was right after Raggio just voted for a new gun free zone and Angle had just spoken on the radio in favor of campus carry and constitutional carry if I recall correctly. (At least one of the two if not both.)
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 10-21-2013 at 09:11 PM.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    For the record, even with a permit, NV law does not permit guns to be carried into schools by teachers and other staff. They are required to be unarmed and at the mercy of any bad guys.

    We have 1-1/2 years before our next Legislature, so hopefully there will be rational discussion about this by then. Campus carry could get big press next time.
    Wait! What!?! Your legislature only meets every two years? OMG! Heaven!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    577
    While concealed carry permit does not grant permission to carry on school grounds, the NRS does list exceptions.

    Teachers, staff, volunteers, parents could be included in group (3). While unlikely, carry on school property is not impossible and not prohibited absolutely, concealed or openly.

    NRS 202.265  Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school or child care facility; penalty; exceptions.

    3.  This section does not prohibit the possession of a weapon listed in subsection 1 on the property of:

    (a) A private or public school or child care facility by a:

    (1) Peace officer;

    (2) School security guard; or

    (3) Person having written permission from the president of a branch or facility of the Nevada System of Higher Education or the principal of the school or the person designated by a child care facility to give permission to carry or possess the weapon.
    (b) A child care facility which is located at or in the home of a natural person by the person who owns or operates the facility so long as the person resides in the home and the person complies with any laws governing the possession of such a weapon.

    Just pointing out the minor details in the NRS. If only some of our schools could see that they have the ability to, at least, stand their ground and save a life, principals could actually give written permission to trustworthy citizens and staff.

    Insert rainbows and unicorns here.

    It will never happen in reality.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 10-21-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    Hoka hey

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Wait! What!?! Your legislature only meets every two years? OMG! Heaven!
    I know, right?!?!

    I thought it was normal before I found out what hell the rest of the country goes through. I remember the horror I felt when I realized the federal Congress never rests.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    The Gov. said the highway patrol was helping at the school. Why? It's not state property, it's not even a roadway.
    Sparks really isn't that large a city, and this is a metropolitan area in a rural state. NHP has a mutual aid MOU with Sparks PD, as do Reno PD, Washoe County Sheriffs, etc.

    It's not like Las Vegas, with hundreds of specialized cops in the same department. When something major happens, it's the gathering of the clan because resources are pooled across multiple agencies. You're lucky around here if there are 5 K9 cops on duty within a 100-mile radius, for instance. And generally, when going across city or county boundaries, at least two units go, for mutual logistical support.

    Not knowing for a couple of hours if this was a single shooter or something bigger, they blorfed the place with manpower, just in case it was needed.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    Thanks to a unanimous vote in the legislature in the 2007 session. It greatly upset me when the NRA endorsed Bill Raggio over Sharron Angle. That was right after Raggio just voted for a new gun free zone and Angle had just spoken on the radio in favor of campus carry and constitutional carry if I recall correctly. (At least one of the two if not both.)
    Dunno about 2007, but in 2010 Angle was loudly and proudly endorsing Constitutional Carry.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    While concealed carry permit does not grant permission to carry on school grounds, the NRS does list exceptions.

    Teachers, staff, volunteers, parents could be included in group (3). While unlikely, carry on school property is not impossible and not prohibited absolutely, concealed or openly.

    NRS 202.265  Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school or child care facility; penalty; exceptions.

    3.  This section does not prohibit the possession of a weapon listed in subsection 1 on the property of:

    (a) A private or public school or child care facility by a:

    (1) Peace officer;

    (2) School security guard; or

    (3) Person having written permission from the president of a branch or facility of the Nevada System of Higher Education or the principal of the school or the person designated by a child care facility to give permission to carry or possess the weapon.
    (b) A child care facility which is located at or in the home of a natural person by the person who owns or operates the facility so long as the person resides in the home and the person complies with any laws governing the possession of such a weapon.

    Just pointing out the minor details in the NRS. If only some of our schools could see that they have the ability to, at least, stand their ground and save a life, principals could actually give written permission to trustworthy citizens and staff.

    Insert rainbows and unicorns here.

    It will never happen in reality.
    Actually I knew a teacher that had permission to carry but when principals changed his permission was revoked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •