• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does taking my coat off amount to brandishing?

Dirk platinum

i regularly enter my local tn walmart wearing a coat over my owb glock 29sf i remove said coat .Its fine A Tennessee hand gun permit allows open or concelaed carry of any handgun(S) you own or legally possesse.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Got a winter time question for you...Say I am at a restaurant with a coat over my carry piece and get hot so I decide to remove the coat...Does removing my coat amount to brandishing?

Virginia S. Ct. has held so, but under extreme facts where Defendant menacingly exposed a holstered flare gun by lifting up his coat to intimidate another person.

independence

In my 12 years as a LEO I've never heard of anyone in TN being charged with "brandishing." Doesn't exist here. The only time I can think of where someone got into trouble making it a point to show his weapon involved a dispute over a parking spot. As "oh shoot" pointed out, an aggravated assault charge is normally what happens and that's what happened to him. Assault is a misdemeanor. When a weapon is used or displayed it bumps it up to agg assault (or if serious bodily injury occurs), which is an E felony.

Good to know. Thanks!